Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

error: Post not found!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion for anyone who adheres to the Extraordinary form of the mass and any issues related to the practices of Eastern Rite Catholicism.

Saint Athanasius is counted as one of the four Great Doctors of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Athanasius

Feb 11th 2013 new
(Quote) Marita-847688 said: So, from what I understand, the Pope is resigning February 28th at 2pm Eastern Standard time. Thoughts? Rem...
(Quote) Marita-847688 said:

So, from what I understand, the Pope is resigning February 28th at 2pm Eastern Standard time. Thoughts? Remember to keep it charitable.

--hide--
Shocked. Concerned. Pondering the spiritual/historic significance of this announcement on the Feast of Our Lady of Lourdes.

God Bless Pope Benedict XVI!

Blessed Pope John Paul II, pray for us and intercede!
Feb 11th 2013 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: It's a selfless gesture from a selfless and holy man. Gone are the days when an ...
(Quote) David-364112 said:

It's a selfless gesture from a selfless and holy man. Gone are the days when an aged and ailing pope could retire to the papal apartments and fade away. The media requires a pope who's constantly in touch with the world and very active. Modern medicine can keep him alive for 5-10 more years. His doctors have told him he's too weak for the exertions of this office. We must pray with renewed fervor, hope, and trust in God's goodness. Peter's boat will never sink. God has a plan.

Let us pray for the Pope, the cardinals, his successor, and for the whole Church and ignore the Chicken Little chorus. Above all, we must ignore the malicious glee and hurtful comments from the enemies of Christ and pray for them without rancor or resentment. (I was just looking at the posted comments after news stories. So sad that there are people with such hatred in our world.)

--hide--
I really like the way you worded your post. Very well put.

I am still working through the news arcticle about his resignation. but I believe he is following his heart and putting the Church first. If he feels he can no longer keep up with the stress and demands of the job due to physical reasons then he should step down. God bless him and his successor.

Feb 11th 2013 new
(Quote) John-220051 said: I worry that a Modernist will be elected who will undo Pope Benedict's accomplishments. We can't go back to...
(Quote) John-220051 said: I worry that a Modernist will be elected who will undo Pope Benedict's accomplishments. We can't go back to having a Pope who promotes religious indifferentism and sows more confusion among the faithful.
--hide--

I agree that there is some worry that that could happen, but what is selfless in Pope Benedict's resignation is that he will no doubt influence who the next Pope could be. If he had died first, that influence would be easier to ignore. I'm praying for a younger, healthier Pope who thinks like Pope Benedict.
Feb 11th 2013 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: I worry that a Modernist will be elected who will undo Pope Benedict's accomplishments. We can't ...
(Quote) John-220051 said: I worry that a Modernist will be elected who will undo Pope Benedict's accomplishments. We can't go back to having a Pope who promotes religious indifferentism and sows more confusion among the faithful.
--hide--

Have faith and trust God. theheart

Feb 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Angela-893980 said: I really like the way you worded your post. Very well put.I am still working through...
(Quote) Angela-893980 said:

I really like the way you worded your post. Very well put.

I am still working through the news arcticle about his resignation. but I believe he is following his heart and putting the Church first. If he feels he can no longer keep up with the stress and demands of the job due to physical reasons then he should step down. God bless him and his successor.

--hide--

Thank you. In the old days the pope could go without being seen while he faded away. Now he can be kept alive for years with the media howling outside his door. He loves us enough to do this. What a great example. What great popes we've had in the past 120 years!

Feb 11th 2013 new
Pope Benedict, the cerebral Pope, if retired, will have more time to write, and therefore continue to influence the conservative tract we are now on. He can much better serve our church in this capacity, rather than attempt to continue a politician-like schedule, that is all-too-physically consuming for him. I am sad to see him resign, however, I think that it is a wise decision in consideration of the circumstances, and selfless.
Feb 11th 2013 new

I wonder how he can expect to write after being Pope. What if he says something that the current pope disagrees with? How will his writing be viewed, with greater authority than that of a cardinal? (after all, he was pope). I don't know...I can't get my mind around a pope emeritus thus far.

Feb 11th 2013 new
I am not suggesting that after resignation Pope Benedict's writings would have Papal authority. I don't even know what authority his writings WOULD have; after all, a resignation has not happened for 600 or more years? But his writings are influencial and always have been. I suspect that quality would continue after resignation.
Feb 11th 2013 new

I agree; I would think what he writes and says no longer had papal authority because he does not possess the office, but as a practical matter how does that work? I don't know...these are unprecedented times we live in I guess.

Feb 11th 2013 new
I hope that David, of OH, will include prayer toward the new Pope in the 54-day rosary he and Amy are now organizing, and so I suggested it.

I noted that once again, there are few men joining the rosary. How about some men from this room? Please see the Prayer and Support room, "54-Day Rosary."
Posts 11 - 20 of 200