Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion for anyone who adheres to the Extraordinary form of the mass and any issues related to the practices of Eastern Rite Catholicism.

Saint Athanasius is counted as one of the four Great Doctors of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Athanasius

Feb 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Marcy-769874 said: By the way, since Queen Isabella was given as the example, I just want to mention that sh...
(Quote) Marcy-769874 said:

By the way, since Queen Isabella was given as the example, I just want to mention that she was a saintly queen. Her cause for canonization was approved by the vatican and she was given the title of "Servant of God" in 1974.

--hide--

Isabella has her good points too. But that does not change the historical reality that there are in fact examples of Catholic monarchs who have forced people to have conversions.

Feb 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Marcy-769874 said: (Quote) Paul-866591 said: There is nothing wrong with kissing any...
(Quote) Marcy-769874 said:

[quote]Paul-866591 said:

There is nothing wrong with kissing anyone's holy book as a sign of respect for the others belief. In no way did it signify an acceptance and approval of what is not really the word of God. Nothing wrong with taking part in a ecumenical prayer service.

I'm sorry to comment at this late time (I'm just reading through this thread), but offering signs of respect of other's false religions, and taking part in ecumenical prayer services, seems to me to be along the same lines as offering incense to false gods! How could this be right? The early Christian martyrs gave their lives rather than take part in prayers/worship of false gods, didn't they?

--hide--

It was not a sign of offering respect for the other's false religion. It was a sign of respect to the individuals. The same as if I came to your house a kissed a picture of your mother. It would not be because I somehow appropriated her to be my mother, but a sign of respect to you because she was your mother.

In an ecumenical prayer service everyone is praying to the same God. Just because others may have a false understand of WHO He is does not change that. The Pope was not taking part in a liturgy nor would you be if you attended an ecumenical, prayer service.

If a Protestant friend died, would you refuse to attend the funeral, service for them at their church? Would going constitute sinful worship on your part? If you believe yes, you are wrong. As long as you do not actively participate in the service the Church says it is perfectly alright for you to be there out of respect for your deceased friend.

Remember, those non-catholics are not sinning because they are not members of the Catholic Church and attending worship services in their own churches. They are acting in accordance with their conscience, as ill formed as it may be because of ignorance of the truth. As long as they are faithfully following their conscience there is nothing wrong with paying honor to them for the faithfulness of their practice of what they believe.

Feb 19th 2013 new

(Quote) Pat-5351 said: I wonder how he can expect to write after being Pope. What if he says something that the current pope...
(Quote) Pat-5351 said:

I wonder how he can expect to write after being Pope. What if he says something that the current pope disagrees with? How will his writing be viewed, with greater authority than that of a cardinal? (after all, he was pope). I don't know...I can't get my mind around a pope emeritus thus far.

--hide--
My hunch is that he won't live long.

Feb 19th 2013 new

(Quote) Pat-5351 said: I wonder how he can expect to write after being Pope. What if he says something that the current pope...
(Quote) Pat-5351 said:

I wonder how he can expect to write after being Pope. What if he says something that the current pope disagrees with? How will his writing be viewed, with greater authority than that of a cardinal? (after all, he was pope). I don't know...I can't get my mind around a pope emeritus thus far.

--hide--

My understanding is he is planning to remain out of the public eye, so there should be no occasion for conflict. It was reported today he said he will not be writing any more books.

Feb 19th 2013 new

I had heard reported today (2/18/13)(or yesterday) (and I don't recall the source) that Pope Benedict may be mostly blind in one eye and that he is losing his hearing. As it was reported, this didn't seem like mere speculation, but that it came from a reliable original source. Also, several days ago, a Vatican source said that he had an operation a few months ago to replace his pacemaker battery. I had not known until that report that he had a pacemaker implanted about 10 years ago, shortly before he was installed as Pope. He is perhaps even more frail than we know. Hopefully, he will live peacefully for his remaining days/years.

Ed

Feb 19th 2013 new

(Quote) ED-20630 said: I had heard reported today (2/18/13)(or yesterday) (and I don't recall the source) that Pope Bene...
(Quote) ED-20630 said:

I had heard reported today (2/18/13)(or yesterday) (and I don't recall the source) that Pope Benedict may be mostly blind in one eye and that he is losing his hearing. As it was reported, this didn't seem like mere speculation, but that it came from a reliable original source. Also, several days ago, a Vatican source said that he had an operation a few months ago to replace his pacemaker battery. I had not known until that report that he had a pacemaker implanted about 10 years ago, shortly before he was installed as Pope. He is perhaps even more frail than we know. Hopefully, he will live peacefully for his remaining days/years.

Ed

--hide--

I didn't know that.

Feb 19th 2013 new

I just watched a movie on Pope John Paul the second before he was Pope. What an inspiration to us all. His message was always love, peace, and life even in the face of pure evil.

Feb 19th 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: My understanding is he is planning to remain out of the public eye, so there should be no...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

My understanding is he is planning to remain out of the public eye, so there should be no occasion for conflict. It was reported today he said he will not be writing any more books.

--hide--

Further testimony to his humilty, holiness, and love for the Church and all creation. By living in that former convent within the Vatican walls, he'll be spared from the prying journalists and papparazzi who's be crawling around the bushes of any monastery or other place of retirement he may have sought for himself.

Feb 19th 2013 new

(Quote) Marita-847688 said: I just watched a movie on Pope John Paul the second before he was Pope. What an inspiration to u...
(Quote) Marita-847688 said:

I just watched a movie on Pope John Paul the second before he was Pope. What an inspiration to us all. His message was always love, peace, and life even in the face of pure evil.

--hide--

He was a great man, a great pope, and a great saint.

Feb 19th 2013 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: In an ecumenical prayer service everyone is praying to the same God. Just becaus...
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

In an ecumenical prayer service everyone is praying to the same God. Just because others may have a false understand of WHO He is does not change that.

--hide--

I'm sorry to have to correct you again Paul, and I know this is way off the thread topic, but: The God of the Catholics is NOT the same as the gods of the Hindus, Buddhists, Muslims, Jews, or any other false religion.
You cannot pray to God the Father while rejecting God the Son or God the Holy Spirit, they are ONE!
Those who do not worship the true God worship false gods (otherwise known as Satan). This is why God gave the first commandment to Moses.

Posts 171 - 180 of 200