Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion for anyone who adheres to the Extraordinary form of the mass and any issues related to the practices of Eastern Rite Catholicism.

Saint Athanasius is counted as one of the four Great Doctors of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Athanasius

Feb 12th 2013 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: Name one Pope, even among the worst of them who were despicable men who professed or taug...
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

Name one Pope, even among the worst of them who were despicable men who professed or taught heresy!

--hide--

Heronius I

"Furthermore, the Acts of the Thirteenth Session of the Council state, "And with these we define that there shall be expelled from the holy Church of God and anathematized Honorius who was some time Pope of Old Rome, because of what we found written by him to [Patriarch] Sergius, that in all respects he followed his view and confirmed his impious doctrines." The Sixteenth Session adds: "To Theodore of Pharan, the heretic, anathema! To Sergius, the heretic, anathema! To Cyrus, the heretic, anathema! To Honorius, the heretic, anathema! To Pyrrhus, the heretic, anathema!"

While he never spoke or taught the heresy "ex cathedra", as that would be the gates of hell prevailing, he was a believer in it and his writings and actions permited it to continue.

Feb 12th 2013 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: Name one Pope, even among the worst of them who were despicable men who professed or taug...

Name one Pope, even among the worst of them who were despicable men who professed or taught heresy!

--hide--

Heronius I

"Furthermore, the Acts of the Thirteenth Session of the Council state, "And with these we define that there shall be expelled from the holy Church of God and anathematized Honorius who was some time Pope of Old Rome, because of what we found written by him to [Patriarch] Sergius, that in all respects he followed his view and confirmed his impious doctrines." The Sixteenth Session adds: "To Theodore of Pharan, the heretic, anathema! To Sergius, the heretic, anathema! To Cyrus, the heretic, anathema! To Honorius, the heretic, anathema! To Pyrrhus, the heretic, anathema!"

While he never spoke or taught the heresy "ex cathedra", as that would be the gates of hell prevailing, he was a believer in it and his writings and actions permited it to continue.

Feb 12th 2013 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: I'd love to see Mar Cleemis of the Syro-Malankara Catholic Church as the next Pope. It might be inter...
(Quote) John-220051 said: I'd love to see Mar Cleemis of the Syro-Malankara Catholic Church as the next Pope. It might be interesting to have a non-Latin as Pope.

www.google.com
--hide--

Until JPII was elected, no one believed that a non-Italian would ever again be elected. Lo and behold two in a row have been non-Italains.

So anything is possible.

Feb 12th 2013 new

(Quote) John-324285 said: Heronius I "Furthermore, the Acts of the Thirteenth Session of the Council st...
(Quote) John-324285 said:

Heronius I

--hide--

To quote your own words (which for some reason you felt it was necessary to repaet 3 times), "While he never spoke or taught the heresy "ex cathedra", as that would be the gates of hell prevailing, he was a believer in it and his writings and actions permitted it to continue."

In other words, no Pope has ever taught heresy. Has any legitimately seated Council of the Church declared any Pope from John XXII thru Benedict XVI, to have been in error in his private writing or actions leading to the support and promotion of heresy?

More specifically, since you seem to have a particular problem with JPII, why would God favor him by allowing a certified miracle to take place that allowed his cause to advance to the point that he has been declared Blessed. Or was that whole process a phony one ginned up by Benedict, whom you also seem to have a problem with?

Feb 12th 2013 new
John maybe Honorius believed heretical things but he did not lead the church into error by proclaiming or enjoining heresy ex cathedra. The Holy Spirit guides the church so we must have faith and trust God. We should never second guess and nit pick the Holy Father. That is arrogance rather than defending the faith. Before taking any steps we must first scrutinize our motives as well as our methods. God didn't put you and me in charge. We're here to be holy. To participate is good but we must be very careful about our interior dispositions.
Feb 12th 2013 new

(Quote) John-324285 said: Any Pope prior to John XXIII would have never kissed or Koran, held ecumenical services, (pray...
(Quote) John-324285 said:

Any Pope prior to John XXIII would have never kissed or Koran, held ecumenical services, (prayer or otherwise) or called on the inner humanistic in us in a appeal for peace. As every Catholic knows (or should know) that true peace cannot be found in man, but only from God.

--hide--

Before trashing all non-Catholics it's worthwhile remembering that Christ was a practicing Jew who said that peace is found within.

What is wrong with ecumenical services? There are many formerly practicing Catholics who have left the church because of the conservative movement as started w/ our current pope. Many others have been deeply wounded by his refusal to hold accountable the priests who hurt the children in their care. Perhaps rather than sitting in judgement we could pray for peace and trust that God, the Holy Spirit, Christ and the Blessed Mother are in charge, not ourselves.

Feb 12th 2013 new

(Quote) Rosemarie-744159 said: "Jesus said that you would know his people (not by how much they go to church, quo...
(Quote) Rosemarie-744159 said:

"Jesus said that you would know his people (not by how much they go to church, quote scriptures and pray)… but by how they “Love” one another… and that especially applies to how we treat, respond to and love those who are not Christians… How will they ever know of the Love of God if we can not even love one another??? Or express the Love of God to those who do not look, act or sound like us… When we begin to allow Jesus to use our mouth.. hands… and feet to extend his “Love” to a hurting and dying world… then and only then… will we will truly become the Church of Jesus Christ that God can use to bring his Kingdom here on earth…"

Jesus challenged the Jewish purity system by being close friends with the impure (“sinner”) and even going as far to say that an impure person (like a Samaritan) can be a closer imitation of God’s central quality (compassion) than even the Pharisees, the purest (and therefore most righteous) people in the land. Luke 10:29-37

"Do people see Jesus in us, or do they see religion, rules, and the things that stand between people and God? Jesus came to reconcile men to God. Do we? Jesus tore down the barriers between people and God? Do we? Or, do we, by our own separation from the world into “holy clubs” testify to a god that is aloof, distant, ethereal?"

Let us be channels of peace and God's love that we may be able to let God's graces flow into the hearts of non-Christians.

--hide--
I agree and might I add this article on a good reason the Pope might have done what he has.www.crisismagazine.com

Feb 12th 2013 new

Yes, I find it very odd that a Catholic that happens to disagree with a particular action or teaching of the pope would rather assume that the pope is wrong and they are right.... rather than the other way around. The pope has been elevated to that position, though the Holy Spirit, to carry out the mission of leading all Catholics. To me, it seems rather arrogant and misguided for one to assume that the pope must be wrong when we (as lay Catholics) might disagree with him (in such a situation). I would say that such a situation calls for some serious prayer and introspection to see where we (as lay Catholics) may have veered off of the right path.

Just my thoughts.

Ed

Feb 12th 2013 new

Yes, I really don't understand why faithful Catholics would be fearful or uneasy about whomever the next pope may be. If we, as Catholics, believe that the Catholic Church is being led by the Holy Spirit, then what is there to be concerned about? It seems to me that this should be more of a time of prayer and anticipation that the Cardinals will carry out their duty to elect the next pope in line with their guidance by the Holy Spirit.... And pray for the next pope that he may have the courage, insight and abilities to carry out his mission in the way the Holy Spirit guides him. I'm sure that the next pope will be right for this time in history and for the challenges that face the the Catholic Church in the next years to come.

Nothing to fear here.

Ed

Feb 12th 2013 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: To quote your own words (which for some reason you felt it was necessary to repaet 3 time...

To quote your own words (which for some reason you felt it was necessary to repaet 3 times), "While he never spoke or taught the heresy "ex cathedra", as that would be the gates of hell prevailing, he was a believer in it and his writings and actions permitted it to continue."

In other words, no Pope has ever taught heresy. Has any legitimately seated Council of the Church declared any Pope from John XXII thru Benedict XVI, to have been in error in his private writing or actions leading to the support and promotion of heresy?

More specifically, since you seem to have a particular problem with JPII, why would God favor him by allowing a certified miracle to take place that allowed his cause to advance to the point that he has been declared Blessed. Or was that whole process a phony one ginned up by Benedict, whom you also seem to have a problem with?

--hide--

Merely because a Pope never taught heresy from the chair (i.e., ex cathedra) does not preclude the possibility that he is an heretic. Also, merely because a Pope cannot teach an heresy ex cathedra does not mean that he cannot attempt to bind a heresy on the whole Church in his ordinary magisterium...since it is possible for a Pope to convey error in his ordinary magisterium.

Posts 71 - 80 of 200