Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion for anyone who adheres to the Extraordinary form of the mass and any issues related to the practices of Eastern Rite Catholicism.

Saint Athanasius is counted as one of the four Great Doctors of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Athanasius

Feb 12th 2013 new
(Quote) Jessica-897416 said: Holy Mother of God please pray for the Catholic Church, please pray for Pope Benedict and keep him safe as he...
(Quote) Jessica-897416 said:

Holy Mother of God please pray for the Catholic Church, please pray for Pope Benedict and keep him safe as he transitions into a life of prayer.

--hide--

Did read that after I wrote. I suspect that he would write again, after some rest.
Feb 12th 2013 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: Why are we so studied in ways to attack the Holy Father and disregard his teachings?...
(Quote) David-364112 said:

Why are we so studied in ways to attack the Holy Father and disregard his teachings? Since when are you and I holier or acting with greater authority?

Why stop with the pope and bishops? Since we're all at it, maybe the Holy Spirit needs our guidance as well.

--hide--

I think perhaps you're jumping to a conclusion. I did not name a specific Pope, but rather stated what is possible regarding any Pope in general. It is not an attack against a person to state a truth, especially if no specific person is named in the statement of truth.

Besides that, what teaching am I disregarding? In what way are the statements that I made a manifestation of a belief that you or I are either holier or have greater authority than the Holy Father?

Your statement (regarding the Holy Spirit) is both an absurdity and not pertinent to the discussion at hand. The Pope and Bishops are not persons of the Trinity. They neither have the nature nor the attributes of God.

The Pope has a specific charism in the Holy Spirit which allows him in specific instances to teach without any failing or error, but that hardly raises the Pope above a sinless man. The Bishops, in their ordinary teaching office, can point to what was always and everywhere taught in such a fashion as we, the laity, can confirm that a specific teaching belongs to those of the ordinary and universal magisterium, and therefore are teachings without error, yet that hardly raises the Bishops above sinless men. It is no personal attack to say so, but rather the simple truth.

The difference between the Pope and a lay man is not that the Pope's nature is restored to original justice (i.e., man's state before Adam's prevarication, or the state of Our Lady from the first moment of her conception), which means that the Pope would still struggle with concupiscence and sin; nor is it that the Pope is automatically, by ascending to the Petrine throne, made impeccable. The difference between the Pope and a lay man is the ontological change which ordination effects, an indelible character on the soul, which distinguishes him spiritually as presbyter, and in fact, the fullness of the priesthood as a Bishop. There is no personal attack in that, only simple truth.

Feb 12th 2013 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: You left out the SSPX.
(Quote) David-364112 said:

You left out the SSPX.

--hide--

How so? Does not our Holy Father count them in his communion by having lifted the excommunication of the SSPX Bishops?

I agree that they persist in a canonically irregular situation, and may end up with the Pope excommunicating them by name, but until then, as I understand it, they're considered by the Holy Father part of the Mystical Body, though they may be considered dead members due to lacking in the supernatural virtue of charity.

Feb 12th 2013 new
(Quote) Brendan-824174 said: I went to buy a newspaper today, and saw the front page of the New York Post "I'm outta Here" P...
(Quote) Brendan-824174 said:

I went to buy a newspaper today, and saw the front page of the New York Post "I'm outta Here" Pope Gives God Two Weeks Notice. I thought that was terrible a newspaper would print something like that. I will pray for the Holy Father, and hope his health is not as poor as some people are saying. It would be nice to elect a Pope somewhere in his fifties, but that will be in God's hands.

--hide--

That is pretty bad, "I'm outta here..." yet another reason to avoid mainstream media regarding our faith, and stick to the best Catholic sources, if possible.
Feb 12th 2013 new
(Quote) Jim-826315 said: Most or all of the voters were selected by JPII or Benedict XVI, so I doubt the next Pope will be much more or le...
(Quote) Jim-826315 said:

Most or all of the voters were selected by JPII or Benedict XVI, so I doubt the next Pope will be much more or less Modernist.

--hide--

Good point! Thank-you for doing the research.
Feb 12th 2013 new

Bad internet = 3 posts, my apologies.

To give a clear example of what I'm speaking of in regards to recent encyclicals. From Benedict XVI www.vatican.va

"29. There is another aspect of modern life that is very closely connected to development: the denial of the right to religious freedom"

From the syllabus of errors Pius IX. www.papalencyclicals.net

" 77. In the present day it is no longer expedient that the Catholic religion should be held as the only religion of the State, to the exclusion of all other forms of worship."

Benedict XVI does not give clarification as to his interpretation of religious freedom in the prior or post paragraph to the one that the sentence is used in. Does he mean it according to what the world believes is religious freedom which is clearly error as pronounced by Pius IX? or does he mean it in a way that is in conformity with Church teachings?

This is the type of ambiguity or even error being strewn about in our age and needs to be clarified, or better yet go back to how the Church always taught which was to always clarify and give more clarity to things, never to be ambiguous.

Feb 12th 2013 new

I believe that I heard on an EWTN report that he would retire on the Vatican grounds... but I think that is more likely just speculation, and I doubt very likely. However, if he wanted to do some serious reading and studying, he probably couldn't beat being near the Vatican library and archives.

I suspect that he would also want to spend considerable time back in Germany if his health permits.

Ed

Feb 12th 2013 new

(Quote) ED-20630 said: I believe that I heard on an EWTN report that he would retire on the Vatican grounds... but I think t...
(Quote) ED-20630 said:

I believe that I heard on an EWTN report that he would retire on the Vatican grounds... but I think that is more likely just speculation, and I doubt very likely. However, if he wanted to do some serious reading and studying, he probably couldn't beat being near the Vatican library and archives.

I suspect that he would also want to spend considerable time back in Germany if his health permits.

Ed

--hide--

Actually, Ed, I've heard on several sources including EWTN that Pope Benedict will be residing in a cloistered convent monastery (so taken care of by nuns I guess) on Vatican grounds. It sounds definite.

Feb 12th 2013 new

Patricia,

I just found this statement in the Autralian Time that seems to indicate what what you have written.

From the article:
"Indeed, the Vatican said that the Pope's retirement was foreseen when restructuring work began on the Mater Ecclesiae convent, within the Vatican, where he will live after the last nuns moved out in November."

www.theaustralian.com.au

Ed

Feb 13th 2013 new

(Quote) ED-20630 said: Patricia, I just found this statement in the Autralian Time that seems to indicate what wh...
(Quote) ED-20630 said:

Patricia,

I just found this statement in the Autralian Time that seems to indicate what what you have written.

From the article:
"Indeed, the Vatican said that the Pope's retirement was foreseen when restructuring work began on the Mater Ecclesiae convent, within the Vatican, where he will live after the last nuns moved out in November."

www.theaustralian.com.au

Ed

--hide--

Thanks for finding that! Interesting - so the nuns are gone. I wonder who will be living with him - I would imagine he would have a housekeeper/valet/secretary or maybe not.

Posts 91 - 100 of 200