Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Feb 11th 2013 new

I am of mixed feelings about this.

On the one hand, I love Pope Benedict and his writings, both as pope and as Cardinal Ratzinger. He makes the most sense to me of any modern day cleric. He has been courageous, generous, forgiving, traditional, faithful, and prescient. He seems to me to be a man endowed with knowledge, understanding wisdom, counsel, fortitude, piety and fear of the Lord. In short, he has been a great cardinal and a great pope.

On the other hand, perhaps in part because I respect him so much, I think I see what he is doing. He understands that the Church needs a strong leader. And, he is honest enough to see that his frailty is beginning to compromize his ministry. We should all be so honest in our self-appraisals. He is showing us that it is not about the cult of the person, or personal power or prestige, but pointing us towards our mission which is to follow Christ and in the pope's case to lead the Church. Honestly seeing his powers fading, he humbly makes way for his successor without rancor, selfishness or immodesty.

One can only hope that the College of Cardinals, many of whom were chosen by him, will under the influence of the Holy Spirit choose a man true to Christ and to the Catholic Tradition. Some pundits have said we are nearing the end of the Church, as secularism, new Ageism, and Progressivism are in ascendency. But Christ said the gates of hell would not prevail against her. The choice of the next pope will have profound implications for the future of humanity. Let us pray that we have a man as holy, faithful, and intelligent as Benedict to navigate the bark of Peter into the future.

Feb 11th 2013 new

I take the Pope at his word. It's a brave admission on his part and the responsible course of action to preserve the Church by stepping down if he is unable to support his office of duty. Pope Benedict undoubtedly prayed for guidance from Our Lord and the Holy Spirit, and this is the course of action he received. Perhaps his resignation was blessed by our Lord to pave the way for another, a pontiff better suited for the times in which we now find ourselves. I believe this is why our Lord called home John Paul I after only one month to make way for John Paul II, a Pope who broadened the reach of the Church, reaffirmed, strengthened, and unified Catholic traditions and teachings during the tumultuous times and geopolitical upheaval of the late 20th century.

May God bless Pope Benedict XVI, the College of Cardinals and the Papal Conclave, and the chosen successor to the Chair of St Peter.

Feb 11th 2013 new
THAT is good news!! Too funny :-))
Feb 11th 2013 new
EWTN Live Streaming

www.ewtn.com

Feb 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Pat-5351 said: I am personally shocked. I never thought I would see this in my lifetime, a pope abdicating. I...
(Quote) Pat-5351 said:

I am personally shocked. I never thought I would see this in my lifetime, a pope abdicating.

I guess I don't see the papacy as a job you can retire from; I know it's within the "rules" but I myself am shocked and saddened.

I think of the heroic suffering JPII underwent, and what a great lesson that was to the faithful, I don't know...I feel like we are losing a great leader, a great moral leader, a great mind, and all prematurely is how it feels to me.

I wonder if Pope Benedict is terminally ill and just not announcing it.

I feel uneasy about the whole thing.

Prayers for the Holy Father, and the Cardinals, and his successor, and for the universal Church....

--hide--

I dont think many popes got started at age 78.this set him apart ...and was a courageous act imho. I think from the start he saw his tenure as pope to be a bridge.And don't necessarily believe that this wasnt calculated to allow the right successor to emerge.

The church has been through some awful times fairly recently---with the influx of some evil people being ordained and weak people(im being kind) overseeing their 're-assignments etc. The church has cleaned this up greatly in the past 10 years under benedicts watch.

Only God knows how much of JPIIs frail suffering health either allowed some of this to happen under his watch--or whether his great suffering was what was needed to partially pay the price for what was going on. I lean heavily toward JPIIs suffering being for the latter.

I trust the judgment of this pope very much. He will be able to influence who his successor is much more now than when he is on his deathbed.
And maybe he just doesnt completely trust all of those around him to make the right choice without his influence /imput. He may as you say be terminally ill--and that would make all the more sense--given the scenario above--for him to step down.

Feb 12th 2013 new

Thanks for all the comments here. I didn't find out until yesterday afternoon and have had company visiting so I haven't been able to

read and understand. I'm not worried as much as I am sad. God surely has a plan! theheart

Feb 12th 2013 new
(Quote) Tom-919560 said: The good news is this election won't be decided by Ohio.
(Quote) Tom-919560 said:

The good news is this election won't be decided by Ohio.

--hide--

Tom, I 'm happy to hear you have a great sense of humor.

On a more personal note, I was taken aback by hearing of the Pope's resignation, but it is understandable if he is ill and feels he cannot carry out his duties. If I remember correctly when he was elected Pope by the college of Cardinals they knew he would not be a Pope for very long due to his age. I am happy that he came to this decision before he couldn't make it himself. God Bless him and we need to keep him in our prayers.

and now for my funny... He only gave us 2 weeks notice
Feb 13th 2013 new

I think there is more going on than we are aware of. Remember he requested "Pray for me that I may not flee for fear of the wolves." I think something more is going on. And I will join millions of other Catholics who will be praying for him.

Feb 13th 2013 new

(Quote) Mary-814080 said: Tom, I 'm happy to hear you have a great sense of humor. On a more personal note, I w...
(Quote) Mary-814080 said:

Tom, I 'm happy to hear you have a great sense of humor.

On a more personal note, I was taken aback by hearing of the Pope's resignation, but it is understandable if he is ill and feels he cannot carry out his duties. If I remember correctly when he was elected Pope by the college of Cardinals they knew he would not be a Pope for very long due to his age. I am happy that he came to this decision before he couldn't make it himself. God Bless him and we need to keep him in our prayers.

and now for my funny... He only gave us 2 weeks notice
--hide--
I agree with you and John, Mary. I look at it this way, Is the Holy Father lying? I don't think so, and to imply otherwise, would be calling him a liar... theheart popetheheart

Feb 13th 2013 new

(Quote) Tom-919560 said: The good news is this election won't be decided by Ohio.
(Quote) Tom-919560 said:

The good news is this election won't be decided by Ohio.

--hide--
Or Connecticut!

Posts 51 - 60 of 112