Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Feb 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Josephine-586127 said: Oops....resigning during Lent.
(Quote) Josephine-586127 said:

Oops....resigning during Lent.
--hide--

There are things the occur between Heaven and Earth that are beyond the wisdom of Man

Feb 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Bernard-2709 said: Good question.My brothers opinion was that they have to wait until he actually finishes his last ...
(Quote) Bernard-2709 said:

Good question.My brothers opinion was that they have to wait until he actually finishes his last day,then proceed.Otherwise, I have no clue in this type of a case.

--hide--

A Convocation of the College of Cardinals to elect a Pope can not occur until 40 days after the Popes death, to give time for funerals, travels, remodelling St Peters and arranging the election itself. As this Pope is abdicating, he has chosen a date of convocation as soon as possible, after Ash Wednesday and his actual stepping down, and allowing for the election to be complete, Holy Spirit willing, before Holy Week.

Thats good planning, he is abdicating now because half the College of Cardinals are already in Rome as Benedict has been having a meetting with African and I think Asian Cardinals, so it cuts costs. He is leaving on the last day of the moth on a Friday, giving the workmen 14 days to prepare the Bascilica for the election, its winter in the north low tourist season so least disruption to the economy, and Easter falls in the middle of April so the Cardinals have a month to decide and cant muck about, but get down and decide quickly as Easter is the most Holy of Seasons for the Church.

So looking at his decision with cold logic its suburb timing, cost effective and cuts the BS of the Carinals politicing or there will be no Easter. He may 85 but he is as sharp as a tack. Its a stroke of brilliance.

Feb 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Pat-5351 said: Just realized Arinze is 80 himself...didn't realize he was that old. You never know what is going...
(Quote) Pat-5351 said:

Just realized Arinze is 80 himself...didn't realize he was that old. You never know what is going to happen with these things...

I am surprised more people here on CM are not talking about this.

--hide--

Hi Pat, there is another thread about this in the Traditional's room.

Feb 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Patrick-624504 said: A Convocation of the College of Cardinals to elect a Pope can not occur until 40 days ...
(Quote) Patrick-624504 said:

A Convocation of the College of Cardinals to elect a Pope can not occur until 40 days after the Popes death, to give time for funerals, travels, remodelling St Peters and arranging the election itself. As this Pope is abdicating, he has chosen a date of convocation as soon as possible, after Ash Wednesday and his actual stepping down, and allowing for the election to be complete, Holy Spirit willing, before Holy Week.

Thats good planning, he is abdicating now because half the College of Cardinals are already in Rome as Benedict has been having a meetting with African and I think Asian Cardinals, so it cuts costs. He is leaving on the last day of the moth on a Friday, giving the workmen 14 days to prepare the Bascilica for the election, its winter in the north low tourist season so least disruption to the economy, and Easter falls in the middle of April so the Cardinals have a month to decide and cant muck about, but get down and decide quickly as Easter is the most Holy of Seasons for the Church.

So looking at his decision with cold logic its suburb timing, cost effective and cuts the BS of the Carinals politicing or there will be no Easter. He may 85 but he is as sharp as a tack. Its a stroke of brilliance.

--hide--

Easter this year is March 31st., not the middle of April. Cannon laws specify that the Conclave must begin between 15 days and some other number I don't recall at the moment after this resignation becomes effective. That still leaves plenty of time to complete the process before Holy Week, unless the Conclaves becomes hopelessly deadlocked.

I suspect that the belief is that it will be a relatively quick selection.

Feb 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Patricia-29176 said: I just googled and a site that took the infor from the Fox News website stated that the...
(Quote) Patricia-29176 said:

I just googled and a site that took the infor from the Fox News website stated that the conclave must start 15-20 days after the resignation. But, I wonder if that takes into account that the Pope has announced his intention to resign 17 days before he actually resigns. The 15-20 days may just be the time needed to get everything ready for the conclave. Hard to say since this hasn't happened in 600 years and there have been a "few" changes in the world and the way things are done since that time!

--hide--

One report I saw earlier this week said it could begin immediately after the seat is vacant if all the cardinal-electors are present at that time.

Feb 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: Easter this year is March 31st., not the middle of April. Cannon laws specify that the Co...
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

Easter this year is March 31st., not the middle of April. Cannon laws specify that the Conclave must begin between 15 days and some other number I don't recall at the moment after this resignation becomes effective. That still leaves plenty of time to complete the process before Holy Week, unless the Conclaves becomes hopelessly deadlocked.

I suspect that the belief is that it will be a relatively quick selection.

--hide--

Paul it may be between 15 and 40 days? But lets pray for the Cardinals extract digits and get down to it. The Pope made it clear he thinks a younger man should take the role during his Ash Wednesday Homily. Don't know the ages of the younger candidates. They cant leave the Church leaderless for too long, thats why I believe he choose now to go as I said. Itt gives them little fluffing room, meet, vote, crown, Easter, in less than a month.

Feb 15th 2013 new

Cardinal Arinze is not really who I want (I want Benedict to stay), but just who I think it might be. Who knows?

Feb 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Patrick-624504 said: If history shows us anything it show us the Pope want is never the Pope we get. The Ho...
(Quote) Patrick-624504 said:

If history shows us anything it show us the Pope want is never the Pope we get. The Holy Spirit chooses His Pope for His Church because the man is or will be needed to aid the Church.

--hide--
I wanted Pope Benedict,when he was Cardinal Ratzinger I just knew he would not have much time to correct things being abused, because of his age. I will be happy with whom every is chosen this time, as long as he isn't some kind of radical. God Bless Pope Benedict XVI, he will be missed.

Feb 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Mary-814080 said: You should of saw my roof, it looked like waves frozen on the ocean. I created a 5 ft drift at my...
(Quote) Mary-814080 said:

You should of saw my roof, it looked like waves frozen on the ocean. I created a 5 ft drift at my front door from shoveling the upper deck to the front porch below. I actually got claustrophobic after I came back downstairs to the mess. Had to dig a small path to the garage where I found that the driveway was not plowed. We got plowed out Saturday night but the sidewalks weren't done until Sunday afternoon. The roads on Monday were horrible here, they are getting better today, how is it in Meriden?
--hide--
We're in much better shape now. I am happy the days are longer and can't wait for Spring. gardener

Feb 15th 2013 new
(Quote) Tom-919560 said: 78 degrees in So. Cal. Shorts and sunglasses. Don't know when an earthquake will show up. God bless the Pap...
(Quote) Tom-919560 said:

78 degrees in So. Cal. Shorts and sunglasses. Don't know when an earthquake will show up. God bless the Papacy.

--hide--

Well I think it got to 45 today and sunny here in CT Tom.

I hope you are having a great birthday.

Happy Birthday! Happy Birthday!
Posts 71 - 80 of 112