Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

This Sunday I went to a Mass in a Church built in the 1970's. I usually attend Mass at older
New York Churches, probably built 100 years ago. Then, of course, in NYC there is
St. Patrick's Cathedral, the Grand Dame of Classic Gothic Churches in America.

I didn't dislike the newer church on Sunday, but I realized how artful and beautiful the
old churches are. They are part of our Catholic culture and I have we have them for
many many years.

02/11/2013 new

Old churches! Although we just had a new church built at my parish and it's beautiful. We have been talking about building a new church for decades and it's nice to see it come to fruition. :) www.stfrancisdesales-lebanon.org

02/11/2013 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: This Sunday I went to a Mass in a Church built in the 1970's. I usually attend Mass at old...
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said:

This Sunday I went to a Mass in a Church built in the 1970's. I usually attend Mass at older
New York Churches, probably built 100 years ago. Then, of course, in NYC there is

I didn't dislike the newer church on Sunday, but I realized how artful and beautiful the
old churches are. They are part of our Catholic culture and I have we have them for
many many years.

--hide--

If you are asking for a comparison with churches, old or new, built in a more traditional way compared to the modern gymnasiums and lecture halls that are passed off as churches, there is no comparison. Those modern churches are just a waste of an awful lot of money and should be donated to the local fire department to burn down for practice. The same can be said for older churches that have been, in my opinion desecrated, by updating them to look like those horrible modern atrocities.

02/11/2013 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: This Sunday I went to a Mass in a Church built in the 1970's. I usually attend Mass at old...

many many years.

--hide--

Older churches.

I am not a fan of the airplane hanger church. Nor do I care for theatre in the round. The modern church is meant to say it is all about us. One feels like we are praying to each other instead of God.

In the older churches, especially the European cathedrals and the neo-gothic architecture inspired by them, one feels one is actually in a transporter room beaming up to heaven for an hour. The focus is on God, not each other.

My feeling: we have the rest of the week to focus on each other---would that we would do that better--- but Mass is about focusing on our Creator and and on our Saviour. The direction is different, and the modern churches mistakenly miss that crucial point.

02/11/2013 new

many many years.

--hide--
Our parish was founded in 1640, one of the oldest in the country. We have a small historic Church built in 1904, and a newer, more modern Church. Since our parish is St. Mary's of Piscataway, we refer to our older Church as Our Lady's Chapel. The old oak floors creak, it's either too hot or too cold, but I feel much closer to God, and prayer is a lot easier and more natural. I really feel His presence there especially during Adoration. We have a large parish so the newer Church is necessary, but it just doesn't feel the same.

02/11/2013 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: If you are asking for a comparison with churches, old or new, built in a more traditional...
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

If you are asking for a comparison with churches, old or new, built in a more traditional way compared to the modern gymnasiums and lecture halls that are passed off as churches, there is no comparison. Those modern churches are just a waste of an awful lot of money and should be donated to the local fire department to burn down for practice. The same can be said for older churches that have been, in my opinion desecrated, by updating them to look like those horrible modern atrocities.

--hide--

It is true that many chuches built after WWII look like brutalistic attrocities, and there are quite a few of them in my town (St. Peter in Huber Heights is one, though the people are quite faithful). BTW, the ugly church pheonomenon did not start after VII but before.

In the last decade or so, there have been several "other modern" churches that have been built with great attention to the rules of sanctity. One is All Saints Church in Walton, KY, designed by Architect Dennis Stroik. Others include New Albany Ohio's Church of the Resurrection, and St. Edward the Confessor in Granville, OH.

www.traditional-building.com

www.sacredarchitecture.org

02/12/2013 new

(Quote) Gerald-283546 said: Older churches.I am not a fan of the airplane hanger church. Nor do I care for t...
(Quote) Gerald-283546 said:

Older churches.

I am not a fan of the airplane hanger church. Nor do I care for theatre in the round. The modern church is meant to say it is all about us. One feels like we are praying to each other instead of God.

In the older churches, especially the European cathedrals and the neo-gothic architecture inspired by them, one feels one is actually in a transporter room beaming up to heaven for an hour. The focus is on God, not each other.

My feeling: we have the rest of the week to focus on each other---would that we would do that better--- but Mass is about focusing on our Creator and and on our Saviour. The direction is different, and the modern churches mistakenly miss that crucial point.

--hide--
Hi Gerald, are you sure about the "mistakenly" part ?

02/12/2013 new

(Quote) Rebecca-727981 said: Old churches! Although we just had a new church built at my parish and it's beautiful. We h...
(Quote) Rebecca-727981 said:

Old churches! Although we just had a new church built at my parish and it's beautiful. We have been talking about building a new church for decades and it's nice to see it come to fruition. :) www.stfrancisdesales-lebanon.org

--hide--

Rebecca, it looks like the outside of your church was fashioned after older churches built 100 years ago. It looks pretty,
and very simplified. Did they knock down an old church and replace it?

02/12/2013 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: If you are asking for a comparison with churches, old or new, built in a more traditional...
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

--hide--

Well, Paul, I really have not seen an old church updated to look like a modern church. Maybe they don't do that back East.

I think you are forgetting that a house of worship is still that, for worship. It doesn't matter the outside.

When we moved to New York, our Church was a converted Protestant Church. It is fairly small, all wooden and simple.
It did the job, though, for all of us.

02/12/2013 new

(Quote) Steven-706921 said: It is true that many chuches built after WWII look like brutalistic attrocities, and th...
(Quote) Steven-706921 said:

It is true that many chuches built after WWII look like brutalistic attrocities, and there are quite a few of them in my town (St. Peter in Huber Heights is one, though the people are quite faithful). BTW, the ugly church pheonomenon did not start after VII but before.

In the last decade or so, there have been several "other modern" churches that have been built with great attention to the rules of sanctity. One is All Saints Church in Walton, KY, designed by Architect Dennis Stroik. Others include New Albany Ohio's Church of the Resurrection, and St. Edward the Confessor in Granville, OH.

www.traditional-building.com

www.sacredarchitecture.org

--hide--

Thank you for that reference about Sacred Architecture. I am going to subscribe to it.

Also, I read when they built St. Edward the Confessor Church, instead of painting the murals directly on the wall,
the artist painted them in his studio on canvas with acrylic. That is a much better way to execute a painting for
an artist. Working on scaffolding is not easy.

Posts 1 - 10 of 86