Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This is the place to post any questions about the way that CatholicMatch works or make suggestions. This room is open to both free and subscribing members.

Saint Anthony is the patron of lost things and missing persons.
Learn More:Saint Anthony

Feb 12th 2013 new

I, too, am disappointed in the designing of a Catholic Match meet-up being created without regard to our Sunday obligation to attend Mass. A vacation is not a good reason to miss Mass -- flu, a major operation, an accident, blizzard conditions constitute good reason to miss Mass -- call me the stick-in-the-mud, uptight rule-keeper, and any other insult too if you like -- God's commandment to keep holy the Lord's day is more important to me than just 'a fun time' on vacation. I encounter this 'forget about God -- it's vacation' in my own extended family, but my absense for an hour or so on Sunday mornings to go to Mass hasn't ruined anything for others yet nor been too difficult for me to work out. I'll be very careful to look into any events I would attend before I sign up. Thank you for alerting us to this problem. And I'm sorry you were belittled for trying to do what is right.

Feb 12th 2013 new
I am in agreement with Rachel and Patricia. While I am not going on the cruise, those who were planning on attending should have been informed that there was not going to be Mass offered, rather than be assurred that it is possible for the obligation to be dispensed. There are some of us who love worshipping the Lord and are not simply present at Mass to "fulfill an obligation".
Feb 12th 2013 new
(Quote) Rachel-731570 said: I, too, am disappointed in the designing of a Catholic Match meet-up being created without regard to our Sunda...
(Quote) Rachel-731570 said:

I, too, am disappointed in the designing of a Catholic Match meet-up being created without regard to our Sunday obligation to attend Mass. A vacation is not a good reason to miss Mass -- flu, a major operation, an accident, blizzard conditions constitute good reason to miss Mass -- call me the stick-in-the-mud, uptight rule-keeper, and any other insult too if you like -- God's commandment to keep holy the Lord's day is more important to me than just 'a fun time' on vacation. I encounter this 'forget about God -- it's vacation' in my own extended family, but my absense for an hour or so on Sunday mornings to go to Mass hasn't ruined anything for others yet nor been too difficult for me to work out. I'll be very careful to look into any events I would attend before I sign up. Thank you for alerting us to this problem. And I'm sorry you were belittled for trying to do what is right.

--hide--

There was one vacation years ago that I missed mass on Palm Sunday. I did get a dispensation for myself and my son. I can honestly say I am glad I went, my son was a freshman in high school at the time and the trip was to Chicago with his high school band. I think you really have to pray about what makes the opportunity a once in a lifetime opportunity and converse with your Priest before deciding for yourself.
Feb 12th 2013 new
You have said it yourself. There are non-Catholics on this site who wish to learn about our faith. What message, then, do they get when we Catholics concoct every excuse to miss the Eucharist? I am astounded by the Catholic members of this site, and after tonight will no longer be one of them.
Feb 12th 2013 new
Brenda -- I'm so glad you have good memories of happy times with your son. I have been able to make it work and still get the good memories, although others may not be able for various reasons. Every other year the high school band takes a trip that is almost a week long and always includes Sat - Sun -- my kids are in the band -- they always make it work that those of us who are Catholic can attend Mass -- it just takes planning and effort -- and the band director, although not Catholic or a church attender, knows he will not be able to take my kids along if they can't attend Mass. He makes it work. If we don't stand up for what's right, who will?
Feb 12th 2013 new
(Quote) Rachel-731570 said: Brenda -- I'm so glad you have good memories of happy times with your son. I have been able to make it work a...
(Quote) Rachel-731570 said: Brenda -- I'm so glad you have good memories of happy times with your son. I have been able to make it work and still get the good memories, although others may not be able for various reasons. Every other year the high school band takes a trip that is almost a week long and always includes Sat - Sun -- my kids are in the band -- they always make it work that those of us who are Catholic can attend Mass -- it just takes planning and effort -- and the band director, although not Catholic or a church attender, knows he will not be able to take my kids along if they can't attend Mass. He makes it work. If we don't stand up for what's right, who will?
--hide--

Since I was on a bus for over 18 hours I think missing one mass was the last thing on my mind. My point was that there can be circumstances once in a blue moon that cause us to miss mass while on vacation. Since I don't have my son now I think God will forgive me....
Feb 12th 2013 new
God forgives us many things -- doing something knowing that 'God will forgive me for it' is presumption. I just don't see how Catholics planning a vacation and giving no thought to working a Sunday Mass in is a good thing. How Catholic is that?
Feb 12th 2013 new

(Quote) Paul-302787 said: You have said it yourself. There are non-Catholics on this site who wish to learn about our faith. What m...
(Quote) Paul-302787 said: You have said it yourself. There are non-Catholics on this site who wish to learn about our faith. What message, then, do they get when we Catholics concoct every excuse to miss the Eucharist? I am astounded by the Catholic members of this site, and after tonight will no longer be one of them.
--hide--
Paul, unfortunately you are generalizing with the phrase "concoct EVERY excuse". That's misleading in the specific scenario described. The circumstances are a one-time situation.

If you read the Catholic commentary about this, you will find that the Church itself allows this. That should have ended the discussion unless there is someone here who outranks the Church. If we're away from home the Church expects us to make reasonable efforts to attend Mass, but doesn't expect or demand extraordinary efforts. Some people will go to such lengths and that is fine for them.

As we've said, if it bothers a person that much, DON'T GO. Keep in mind that we each have to answer for ourselves. You wouldn't have to answer for those who went on the trip while you waved good-bye to them and stayed home. As Donna said, let's not spoil it for the rest of the group.

Feb 12th 2013 new
(Quote) Rachel-731570 said: God forgives us many things -- doing something knowing that 'God will forgive me for it' is presumption. ...
(Quote) Rachel-731570 said: God forgives us many things -- doing something knowing that 'God will forgive me for it' is presumption. I just don't see how Catholics planning a vacation and giving no thought to working a Sunday Mass in is a good thing. How Catholic is that?
--hide--

I am going to pray that they do what I chose to do before signing up for a trip that I knew was a once in a lifetime opportunity. Pray, talk to a Priest and let their conscience be their guide. After all we are all sinners and who am I to judge what another's sin is????

I am not a perfect person and plan to work on my own plank before I tell someone about their thorn....
Feb 12th 2013 new

(Quote) Rachel-731570 said: God forgives us many things -- doing something knowing that 'God will forgive me for it' is pre...
(Quote) Rachel-731570 said: God forgives us many things -- doing something knowing that 'God will forgive me for it' is presumption. I just don't see how Catholics planning a vacation and giving no thought to working a Sunday Mass in is a good thing. How Catholic is that?
--hide--
Attending Mass should be part of the planning and can be in most circumstances. However, that is somewhat different than the particular situation described. Those circumstances are out of the ordinary.

If the Church allows a person to be excused from the Sunday obligation to attend Mass under certain circumstances, so can we. The particular situation seems to fit the Catholic commentary based upon the First Precept of the Church.

"God will forgive me" isn't exactly a presumption -- one has to have contrition. We do know that the Good Lord is forgiving and merciful. If no offense was committed in the first place, there's nothing to forgive.

Somehow this thread went well beyond the scope of the original post. Therein, lies the problem.

Posts 21 - 30 of 31