Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Jun 9th 2013 new
The opposite of love is not hate but "use." When we see others as objects (a mere body) rather than as persons, we will never learn to love. (TOB) Men and women are different but equal in dignity. Both are made in the image and likeness of God.
We can pray the chaplet to the Divine Mercy using the rosary beads. God's mercy is needed more than ever today than in history. We are experiencing today a crisis of faith brought about by dangerous ideologies such as relativism; the Year of Faith is a perfect time to devote ourselves to the Divine Mercy. Jesus taught us through Sr. Faustina to pray unceasingly and to say the words, "Jesus, I trust in You."
Jun 13th 2013 new
(quote) Maricel-532080 said: The opposite of love is not hate but "use." When we see others as objects (a mere body) rather than as persons, we will never learn to love. (TOB) Men and women are different but equal in dignity. Both are made in the image and likeness of God.
We can pray the chaplet to the Divine Mercy using the rosary beads. God's mercy is needed more than ever today than in history. We are experiencing today a crisis of faith brought about by dangerous ideologies such as relativism; the Year of Faith is a perfect time to devote ourselves to the Divine Mercy. Jesus taught us through Sr. Faustina to pray unceasingly and to say the words, "Jesus, I trust in You." 
You are a wise woman! biggrin

"The opposite of love is not hate but 'use.'"

Sums up the disordered attraction perfectly.

Mick
Jul 3rd 2013 new
Hi Mick,

I am fond of both. Have you found correlation between teachings of Divine Mercy and TOB?

Good topic!

Cheryl
Jul 3rd 2013 new
Cheryl,

Your question is the Holy Spirit prompting me to post this:

Wisdom 7:11:

All good things came to me along with her, and in her hands uncounted wealth.

Mathew 13:45

Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant in search of fine pearls, 46 who, on finding one pearl of great value, went and sold all that he had and bought it.

Beloved pearl of my heart, I see your love is pure (purity of heart is one of the three virtues that are dearest to Jesus purity of heart includes being chaste). (Diary 1061)

DM St. Faustina commenting on her Spiritual spouse: Jesus

TOB My personal revelations between DM and Theology of the Body. The TOB is based on talks given by John-Paul II.

CCC Catechism of the Catholic Church

Diary Parallels between the spousal relationship with Jesus and His Church and the spousal relationship between married couples (He is preparing us for the spousal relationship described in TOB).

DM: Do something about this (Diary 217)

TOB: A prayer of petition to Jesus for a spouse (by the man and women both)

DM: You were pursuing me (Diary 1486)

TOB: Her knight is pursues her with romance; she may choose to accept his marriage proposal both must agree heart, mind, soul and body

DM: My whole soul listens intently (Diary 651)

TOB: Men and women showing one another dignity

DM: She revealed her soul to her spouse (Diary 142)

TOB: Men and women as best friends

DM: For hours she is absorbed in the thought of her spouse (Diary 199)

TOB: Romantic

DM: But in no way interfered with the performance of her duties (Diary 142)

TOB: It is not a overly emotional fling

DM: The heart of your best friend is listening to you. (Diary 1486)

TOB: Close intimate conversations

DM: When her spouse looked at her with such kindness and love, her whole soul drowned herself in him (Diary 205)

TOB: Part of the great share in Jesus joy is a perfected marriage according to the TOB

DM: She has just begun to love her spouse, no one can comprehend what she feels for her spouse (Diary 231)

TOB: Early in the relationship and they will marry young

DM: Sharing flowers (Diary 208)

TOB: Romance

DM: Even in prison (i.e. a situation were suffering and sacrifice are necessary) there can burst forth from a pure heart the fullness of love (Diary 201)

TOB: In relationships: BTW God and man, spouses, brotherly love and love of children perfectly ordered

DM: She was transformed into love (Diary 142)

TOB: Spousal love

DM: Mother directress (she lives at home with parents) (Diary 217)

TOB: Therefore a man leaves his father and his mother and clings to his wife, and they become one flesh. (Genesis 2:24)

DM: She is given to her spiritual director (her husband) (142)

TOB: The marriage day.

DM: Now she must battle together with her spouse, work with her spouse, suffer with her spouse, in a word, live and die (soon it will be the end of time and there will be no death) with her spouse (Diary 217)

TOB: to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, until death do us part.

DM: Drawn powerfully (eternally) to her spouse and sometimes she was not aware that she was on Earth (Diary 142)

TOB: Spousal love and marital union

DM: Her heart is his heaven, sleep is out of the question, Joy has driven sleep away. What is heaven going to be like if already here in exile (Diary 238)

TOB: Ecstasy in an INTIMATE and PASSIONATE BONDING marital union

DM: Countless times, by means of a sudden enlightenment, you have given me to know what is the more pleasing to you (Diary 1489)

TOB: The husband and wife gain a deep knowledge and understanding of the other

DM: In silence I tell you everything, because the language of Love (Love Languages) is without words; not a single stirring of my heart escapes you (Diary 1489)

TOB: She silently expresses her love daily by: Words of Affirmation, Quality Time, Receiving Gifts, Acts of Service and Physical Touch.

DM: Love must be reciprocal (Diary 390)

TOB: Men and women must reciprocate occurrences to satisfy the others Love Languages

DM: Her soul was in a state of continuous ecstasy, her soul remains (eternally) in a loving union with her spouse (Diary 142)

TOB: Daily spousal love and ecstasy

DM: She was (eternally) all afire but without burning up (Diary 142)

TOB: Spousal love and marital union

DM: I will affirm your soul to such a degree that even if you wanted to be troubled, it would not be within your power. (Diary 169)

TOB: Daily fidelity, spousal love and ecstasy

DM: Jesus: Your words please Me, and your thanksgiving opens up new treasures of graces. But, My child, we should talk in more detail about the things that lie in your heart. Let us talk confidentially and frankly, as two hearts that love one another do. (Diary 1489)

TOB: The BOND between husband and wife as best friends. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the Church. Husbands, love your wives (with saintly heroism), as Christ loved the Church and gave himself up for her (heroism), that he might sanctify her (Ephesians 5:23 & 5:25, CCC 1638)

DM: God, thanks for this immense and inconceivable favor (Diary 238)

TOB: God so fills the heart, mind, soul and body of the sanctified soul that lives according to the Mercy of God and the TOB. Lord Jesus I trust in you!

Jul 5th 2013 new
Hello Mick,

Yes of course there is a correlation between DM and TOB. The TOB is teaching us how to be the type of husbands and wives Jesus intended us to be. However, the spousal relationship which is revealed between St. Faustina and Jesus is similar to the relationship he has with many saints. They love Him as a spouse and Jesus exemplifies the perfect spouse. A spousal relationship of the soul with Jesus is more intimate than any other and when your soul becomes united to him as with a spouse, how can it not be the ultimate demonstration of a holy christian marriage.

If you have ever read the Interior Castle by St. Teresa of Avila, you see that in the 7th mansion she speaks of spiritual marriage. St. John of the Cross also spoke as Jesus as his divine lover.

Teresa of Avila says that spiritual betrothal is different than spiritual marriage, for the two often separate...like the joining of two wax candles to such an extent that the flame and the wax are all one. But afterward one candle can be easily spearated form the other and there are two candles. With spiritual marriage the union is like what we have when rain falls from the sky into a river or fount; all is water, for the rain that fell from heaven cannot be separated from the water of the river. The two are one.

...so, in my opinion, yes there is definitely a similarity in the conversation between Jesus and St. Faustina because He was her spouse. But it is not for them alone, many saints have achieved that intimacy with Jesus and we also are called to aspire to that level of union.

Suzanne
Jul 5th 2013 new
Mick,
Thank you for sharing these insightful correlations.

--Bridget
Jul 5th 2013 new
I've been to all 8 classes/immersion courses at the TOB institute. I'm working on my practicum now for certification. If anyone is considering this, (and even if you aren't). GO! just...go. It is the most amazing life changing experience. It just seeps in. It's like seeing in color for the first time.

I wanted to mention here though, that while the ideas listed here are good and true, they barely skim the surface of what TOB is all about. my TOB 3 class, we went through the catechism with the "lense" of TOB. It explains the sacraments, the creed, prayer, and Mary.
Jul 6th 2013 new
theheart Yes to both. I have studied TOB === especially as it applies to spreading the message to teens & young adults...
I also attended TOB institute in PA for the Love & Responsibility course, loved it! Will go back! Head and Heart Immersion this summer:)

Have been to various conferences etc and see the effect that this is having on not only my generation but the younger generation as well...the healing and conversions can not be denied.

Divine Mercy is so imperative in this day and age as is TOB. St Faustina's diary provides direction, the chaplet of DM and celebrating DM Sunday has contributed to many conversions and healings. I have attended DM and volunteered at the shrine in MA on two occasions, I have immediate family members who were not practicing or lapsed and a DM healing left prayerful impact. I have friends who have prayed DM at the death bed of lapsed Catholics....and much peace was found as well as delivered. There is a DM community here In NJ, which has been witness to healings and I attend a DM cenacle from time to time at a local nursing home---to pray for the residents, each other etc. Praying at 3pm with friends or solo has also strengthened my faith and interceded on behalf of others.

Mercy and grace is a gift that opens up our hearts to deeper truths and practice----praying the DM can help with forgiveness and generational healing as does learning about TOB while practicing chastity and modesty. The times we live in call for both whole heartedly--. Jesus, I trust in you! Lisa
Jul 6th 2013 new
To all of these beautifully stated contributions, I can only add, AMEN!

As far as one to the other, TOB vs DM; I've found I have had to put aside TOB as it too painfully underscores the loss of spouse and all of the potential I believed was there. So I concentrate on my annulment effort, and contemplate Divine Mercy regularly. I often listen to the sung chaplet while I work or drive, praying along as best I can, offering the prayer either for specific intention or to God's Use as He sees need.

I hope to return to study of TOB in future, preferably along with one that God might introduce to me.

Thank you to those who have mentioned additional resources and the Institute!
Jul 6th 2013 new
(quote) David-870960 said: To all of these beautifully stated contributions, I can only add, AMEN!
As far as one to the other, TOB vs DM; I've found I have had to put aside TOB as it too painfully underscores the loss of spouse and all of the potential I believed was there. So I concentrate on my annulment effort, and contemplate Divine Mercy regularly. I often listen to the sung chaplet while I work or drive, praying along as best I can, offering the prayer either for specific intention or to God's Use as He sees need.

I hope to return to study of TOB in future, preferably along with one that God might introduce to me.

Thank you to those who have mentioned additional resources and the Institute!
Please consider that the reading of TOB may help heal. It is meant to help with full integration body and soul, that you can be a better person, and able to give of yourself better.
Posts 21 - 30 of 47