Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Feb 17th 2013 new

My observation was, you cannot get elected to office in Texas (or Louisiana, for that matter) unless you've served time in jail.

Feb 17th 2013 new

I lived in Central Texas for 8 years.

- Spring starts around March 1 and lasts two weeks. Flowers (esp. the Texas bluebonnet) in profusion, temperatures in the 50s and 60s Fahrenheit (10-16 Celcius).
- From April 1 to Thanksgiving (end of November) temperatures are in the 90s and higher (33+ Celcius). We had 115 one September.
- If there is an autumn, it lasts about 3 days.
- December and January you get a little rain, temperatures up to 35 (2 Celcius) with wind chill in the single digits (-13 Celcius). This lasts until March.

If you can get used to the heat (and it took me a full 8 years), most of Texas is beautiful.

Feb 17th 2013 new

I'm from Texas, born and raised and I love it here. I'm not sure I'd anywhere else. I heard we are one of the most business friendly states in the union. I just heard on the radio this past weekend that a person who is only making minimum wage actually takes home an average of two dollars an hour more than someone in California. We have no state income tax and we're a right to work state. I even heard that California is getting to melt down or collapse financially. I love the highways and I think they're the best in the nation. When I was in the Marine Corps, I met other guys who were from California and they would make the distinction whether they're from southern or northern California. Here in Texas, we just say, "I'm from Texas". To us Texas is more than a state, it's an attitude.

Feb 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Les-150018 said: Tom, thanks for your comment. Now with you agitating and all, are you saying all Texans are intellectually...
(Quote) Les-150018 said: Tom, thanks for your comment. Now with you agitating and all, are you saying all Texans are intellectually challenged?! As a non US resident not sure if you're one mean .... ( !) or I've missed the joke again!
--hide--

I heard back in the 1800s there was one Texan that was kinda smart. wink

Feb 17th 2013 new
(Quote) Norbert-98169 said: I'm from Texas, born and raised and I love it here. I'm not sure I'd anywhere else. I heard we a...
(Quote) Norbert-98169 said:

I'm from Texas, born and raised and I love it here. I'm not sure I'd anywhere else. I heard we are one of the most business friendly states in the union. I just heard on the radio this past weekend that a person who is only making minimum wage actually takes home an average of two dollars an hour more than someone in California. We have no state income tax and we're a right to work state. I even heard that California is getting to melt down or collapse financially. I love the highways and I think they're the best in the nation. When I was in the Marine Corps, I met other guys who were from California and they would make the distinction whether they're from southern or northern California. Here in Texas, we just say, "I'm from Texas". To us Texas is more than a state, it's an attitude.

--hide--
My favorite television show was Texas Ranger and Chuck Norris. Not that that counts for anything but didn't Texas do some great things in that area? It was all about justice and depicting the Rangers as a force to uphold the law. My kids used to laugh at me for taping that show! Just a little levity. Eileen
Feb 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Les-150018 said: Is it true that Texans are a breed apart and that they have more traditional values than most?
(Quote) Les-150018 said: Is it true that Texans are a breed apart and that they have more traditional values than most?
--hide--
I am a transplant here in Texas from half-way across the globe for over 4 years now. Over the last 4 years, Texas seems to have grown in me (I now drive a big truck, am comfortable wearing my boots, and have acquired the taste for biscuits with gravy and their chicken fried steak!laughing). Having come from a very big and busy business capital city, I liked the warmth of the Texans. They are friendly, not in anyway snotty, and genuinely helpful. When they say "may I help you," they really mean it and not just saying it because it's part of their job. Also, I love their word of honor and the fact that a gentleman's agreement can be sealed with a handshake. Over all, yes I would say, Texans are of a different breed and it's a good breed.

Feb 17th 2013 new

--hide--

well a breed apart perhaps lol. . .My daddy was a Texan and there is something about them. I am not sure they have more traditional values than most, but there is a pretty conservative faction in Texas, just as in Oklahoma. And, I would suspect it depends upon what traits you include in Traditional values? Lauren

Feb 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Lina-796057 said: Belated congratulations to Jerry, who achieved over 20,000 posts.
(Quote) Lina-796057 said:

Belated congratulations to Jerry, who achieved over 20,000 posts.

--hide--

Thanks! I didn't even notice I was getting close, much less that I had gone over ... laughing embarassed

Feb 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Norbert-98169 said: I'm from Texas, born and raised and I love it here. I'm not sure I'd anywhere else. ...
(Quote) Norbert-98169 said:

--hide--
Amen brother i agree! I was on vacation in SAT. Texas and it was a CM event Had a Blast! If i could (also) I would move down there to; You know the ole sayin "DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS"!! Mike "Peace"!!

Feb 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Mike-646924 said: Amen brother i agree! I was on vacation in SAT. Texas and it was a CM event Had a Blast! If i coul...
(Quote) Mike-646924 said:

Amen brother i agree! I was on vacation in SAT. Texas and it was a CM event Had a Blast! If i could (also) I would move down there to; You know the ole sayin "DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS"!! Mike "Peace"!!

--hide--
Amen to you Mike! And you can have any climate you want in Texas!
Btw, BOLOGNA here is called "round steak" lol!laughing

Posts 31 - 40 of 55