Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Feb 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: We also have a couple of men who come in with their hats on and don't remove them at all durin...
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

We also have a couple of men who come in with their hats on and don't remove them at all during the entire mass.

--hide--

Sometimes I wonder, would it be totally out of line to point out to that person that they still have their hat on, in hopes they'll get the hint? Or people who consider Mass a social hour - would it be out of line to ask them to keep it down (it hopes they would get the point and quit talking altogether)?

Feb 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Lauren-927923 said: They were taught all of this before First Communion, the one thing they had not been prepared fo...
(Quote) Lauren-927923 said:

They were taught all of this before First Communion, the one thing they had not been prepared for was the taste of the Eucharistic wine. And we are talking about seven year olds who generally react without thinking. We corrected that with subsequent classes.

--hide--

An even better option would be not to have young children drinking from the chalice...

Feb 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: An even better option would be not to have young children drinking from the chalice...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

An even better option would be not to have young children drinking from the chalice...

--hide--

In our ArchDiocese the communicants are to receive first Holy Communion under both Species and not by intinction.

Feb 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Lauren-927923 said: (Quote) Jerry-74383 said: An even better option would be not to have youn...
(Quote) Lauren-927923 said:

Quote:
Jerry-74383 said:

In our ArchDiocese the communicants are to receive first Holy Communion under both Species and not by intinction.

--hide--

An insane policy, as your incident clearly demonstrates. Since this is a mandated by a policy of the archdiocese, perhaps the priests and religious educators should make the new archbishop aware of the implications.

Feb 17th 2013 new

I think if more of us had encounters with Christ in the Eucharist our churches and liturgical practices wouldn't be going in the direction you described Marysia. Let's all pray that God may give us a better appreciation for the holy sacrifice of the Mass and an encounter with Christ.

Feb 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: An insane policy, as your incident clearly demonstrates. Since this is a mandated by a po...

An insane policy, as your incident clearly demonstrates. Since this is a mandated by a policy of the archdiocese, perhaps the priests and religious educators should make the new archbishop aware of the implications.

--hide--

Considering this is the only incident of which I am aware in the entire Archdiocese and we rectified it by adding to our preparation protocol, and had no further incidents, I think it has been sufficiently managed. The reasoning behind the practice is based, in part, upon the following from the Catechism.

1390 Since Christ is sacramentally present under each of the species, communion under the species of bread alone makes it possible to receive all the fruit of Eucharistic grace. For pastoral reasons this manner of receiving communion has been legitimately established as the most common form in the Latin rite. But “the sign of communion is more complete when given under both kinds, since in that form the sign of the Eucharistic meal appears more clearly.”225 This is the usual form of receiving communion in the Eastern rites.

1244 First Holy Communion. Having become a child of God clothed with the wedding garment, the neophyte is admitted “to the marriage supper of the Lamb”44 and receives the food of the new life, the body and blood of Christ. The Eastern Churches maintain a lively awareness of the unity of Christian initiation by giving Holy Communion to all the newly baptized and confirmed, even little children, recalling the Lord’s words: “Let the children come to me, do not hinder them.”45 The Latin Church, which reserves admission to Holy Communion to those who have attained the age of reason, expresses the orientation of Baptism to the Eucharist by having the newly baptized child brought to the altar for the praying of the Our Father. (1292)

Feb 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: An even better option would be not to have young children drinking from the chalice...

--hide--

Exactly. I'm not a big fan of this practice to begin with, but if the Most Precious Blood must be offered as well as the Host, there's no harm in letting kids come around to that when they're older instead of at Fist Communion.

Feb 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Patrick-899707 said: I think if more of us had encounters with Christ in the Eucharist our churches and liturgical p...
(Quote) Patrick-899707 said:

I think if more of us had encounters with Christ in the Eucharist our churches and liturgical practices wouldn't be going in the direction you described Marysia. Let's all pray that God may give us a better appreciation for the holy sacrifice of the Mass and an encounter with Christ.

--hide--

Thank you. I'd like to see parish priests make it a priority to teach about the Eucharaist and its significance as often as possible. Eventually people will come to believe and their behavior will change. Too often we're given wrong signals about the Eucharist because of the misguided silliness which attends its distribution in many parishes. If the focus were always on the sacred, on WORSHIP of this Sacrament, the tone would change.

Feb 18th 2013 new
(Quote) Marysia-253828 said: Anybody else concerned about the fact that there are so many Catholic Churches out there without kneelers, wh...
(Quote) Marysia-253828 said:

Anybody else concerned about the fact that there are so many Catholic Churches out there without kneelers, where the Tabernacle is placed anywhere beside the center of the altar and genuflection is becoming a thing of the past?

--hide--
I can't say that I have been to a church yet where the kneelers did not exist but I have been to a church in Texas where the Tabernacle wasn't even visible from the many body of the church so I had no idea in which direction to genuflect. I found out after mass that they placed it in a separate space so that adoration could be had all day and night. I had mixed feelings. So many people stopped in the adoration room where the tabernacle was after mass was over. THAT was nice to see. it wasn't out of site out of mind for them. My suggestion comes with a story. Our parish was built many years ago. They developed the school before they built an official church building. The original worship space sort of resembled a warehouse building from outside appearances. The past year or so we finally built the church building that was promised to parishioners so many years ago. in the process the statues were taken out of the church as well as with everything else. When we moved back into the new church building... many noticed that the statue of the Blessed Mother was not present. Many grumbled amongst themselves. I hoped that they said something to the pastor but I had no idea if they had. I got to the point where I said, I know that this is a bit distressful but if you want something YOU MUST ASK FOR IT. Do not grumble about it amongst yourself...ask for it! The Blessed Mother statue has a beautiful new stand, and has been placed in our church again.... If people ask, and pray, and hold to what is right, God can work among his people. God bless all of you for your beautiful concerns for the Holy church
Feb 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Loretta-678584 said: I can't say that I have been to a church yet where the kneelers did not exist but I have been to a...
(Quote) Loretta-678584 said: I can't say that I have been to a church yet where the kneelers did not exist but I have been to a church in Texas where the Tabernacle wasn't even visible from the many body of the church so I had no idea in which direction to genuflect. I found out after mass that they placed it in a separate space so that adoration could be had all day and night. I had mixed feelings. So many people stopped in the adoration room where the tabernacle was after mass was over. THAT was nice to see. it wasn't out of site out of mind for them. My suggestion comes with a story. Our parish was built many years ago. They developed the school before they built an official church building. The original worship space sort of resembled a warehouse building from outside appearances. The past year or so we finally built the church building that was promised to parishioners so many years ago. in the process the statues were taken out of the church as well as with everything else. When we moved back into the new church building... many noticed that the statue of the Blessed Mother was not present. Many grumbled amongst themselves. I hoped that they said something to the pastor but I had no idea if they had. I got to the point where I said, I know that this is a bit distressful but if you want something YOU MUST ASK FOR IT. Do not grumble about it amongst yourself...ask for it! The Blessed Mother statue has a beautiful new stand, and has been placed in our church again.... If people ask, and pray, and hold to what is right, God can work among his people. God bless all of you for your beautiful concerns for the Holy church
--hide--

In my own parish there is a separate Adoration Chapel. However, the tabernacle is till front and center in the sanctuary area where it belongs. The Adoration Chapel being in a separate room allows those who spend time in adoration are not disturbed by what may be taking place in the main body of the Church. Nor do they disturb what may be going on in the main body of the Church.

Posts 41 - 50 of 84