Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Mar 7th 2013 new

(Quote) Emily-647155 said: Yes, re: religious orders--You WANT to call Dominicans by their "first" na...
(Quote) Emily-647155 said:

Yes, re: religious orders--You WANT to call Dominicans by their "first" names--they chose that name for a reason and want to be called by it! So at my Dominican parish, the priests are Fr. Michael, Fr. Gregory, Fr. Thomas, Fr.Whoever....all about the first names.

--hide--

Thats perfectly acceptable and canonically legal. Calling any religious by their first name is fine so long as you use their title Father, Brother, Sister, Your Grace, Your Eminence, Reverent Mother, Friar, Deacon, and the majority dont have any objections. I call my friends I went to school with Father or Brother and these are guys I used to have fights with, played bull-rush with, played Rugby and Cricket with spent the night at their homes. I still use their title, even my cousin a Columbian Priest I call Father Micheal, and a courtesy uncle Bishop Brian

Mar 7th 2013 new

(Quote) Monica-730858 said: I almost cried when I opened this link. Let's pray for Cardinal Dolan.
(Quote) Monica-730858 said:

I almost cried when I opened this link. Let's pray for Cardinal Dolan.

--hide--

The real tragedy, despite is homosexual inappropriate behaviour, is the fact that though he was a true Champion of Church values and development, he will only be remembered for this deed(s) as the great bard says

"The good deeds of man are inturred with their bones, Their evil deeds live on everafter"

Mar 7th 2013 new

(Quote) Patrick-624504 said: The real tragedy, despite is homosexual inappropriate behaviour, is the fact that thou...
(Quote) Patrick-624504 said:

The real tragedy, despite is homosexual inappropriate behaviour, is the fact that though he was a true Champion of Church values and development, he will only be remembered for this deed(s) as the great bard says

"The good deeds of man are inturred with their bones, Their evil deeds live on everafter"

--hide--

What are you referring to? Cardinal Dolan has never been accused of homosexuality.

The person was commenting on the fact that then Archbishop Dolan of Milwaukee, Wisconsin put on a "cheese-head hat" when delivering a sermon at a Mass he celebrated.

If you don't know, the State of Wisconsin is known as the cheese capital of the US. He put on the hat to honor one of the Statr's colleges football (American style) triumph.

The incident occurred soon after he became Archbishop of Milwaukee. He did not wear it for the entire Mass and did so as part of his homily to demonstrate he was now a "cheese-head" a term used to describe residents of the State of Wisconsin.

Since he did not wear it during the entire Mass, it was hardly anything to get upset about.

Mar 7th 2013 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: What are you referring to? Cardinal Dolan has never been accused of homosexuality.
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

What are you referring to? Cardinal Dolan has never been accused of homosexuality.

The person was commenting on the fact that then Archbishop Dolan of Milwaukee, Wisconsin put on a "cheese-head hat" when delivering a sermon at a Mass he celebrated.

If you don't know, the State of Wisconsin is known as the cheese capital of the US. He put on the hat to honor one of the Statr's colleges football (American style) triumph.

The incident occurred soon after he became Archbishop of Milwaukee. He did not wear it for the entire Mass and did so as part of his homily to demonstrate he was now a "cheese-head" a term used to describe residents of the State of Wisconsin.

Since he did not wear it during the entire Mass, it was hardly anything to get upset about.

--hide--

Sorry forgot I meant Cardinal Obrien, "resigned" due to inappropriate behaviour and is not at the Conclave, My deepest and simcere appologies to the American Church, and from what you say it doesnt sound as big an issue as Cardinal Obrien

Mar 7th 2013 new

(Quote) Patrick-624504 said: Sorry forgot I meant Cardinal Obrien, "resigned" due to inappropriate behavi...

Sorry forgot I meant Cardinal Obrien, "resigned" due to inappropriate behaviour and is not at the Conclave, My deepest and simcere appologies to the American Church, and from what you say it doesn't sound as big an issue as Cardinal Obrien

--hide--

In my opinion, it is not an issue at all. If Dolan had worn the silly "cheese-head" hat during the entire Mass instead of His miter at the appropriate times during the Mass, that would have been an issue.

You have to give Cardinal Obrien credit, he did have the decency to remove himself from the process to elect a New Pope. Meanwhile, we Americans have to bear the cross of Cardinal Mahoney, who was disciplined by his Archbishop for those things he did covering up the priestly scandals in the Diocese of Los Angelas, not having the decency to remove himself. But then, he has never been known for his humility.

Mar 7th 2013 new

Gets quite up my nose. When I was in my teen years my family went to a parish that removed kneelers and the Tabanacal. My parents, were, how shall I politely phrase this, very much annoyed. They fought tooth and nail, but we had a former protestant turned Catholic Priest who still had trace elements of Protestant litergy and social thinking engrained in him. Frankly, I hated the building, it was cold, uninviting and looked like a public meeting hall then an actual Catholic Church. The stations of the Cross were piddly and it had one of those more "happy" crucifixes, with the risen Christ. Nothing wrong with it, but it looked kinda... well... hippish.

I had been to a few Parishes around the place, and generally they were the same sort of thing. As a passive agressive protest I just kneel on the floor. I was most upset when I finally went into the Church I had been baptised in. The place had been a victim of arson years before, and I hadn't been in the new one. When I went in, well, it was purposefully built so you could NOT kneel, it was just physically impossible, even on the floor. You couldn't even find the space in the isle to do it, or at the back. It was actually a tight squeeze to sit, esp. if you had long legs. It was horrid!!

Anyway, the Diocese I'm in now, a lot of reverence, it has restored my faith in Catholic practice in NZL. There are a few minor things that are creeping in from up North, but they're being fought by the majority of people. We lost our Catherdral in the quake, so I'm hoping if they don't fix it back up to its former glory, that we don't get some hideous pseudo-protestant type structure. Granted, the priests I"ve spoken to were seeking vision and ideas from European Churches that are hundreds of years old.

I hope the Diocese I'm in currently doesn't succumb to such wishy washy practices.

Mar 8th 2013 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: In my opinion, it is not an issue at all. If Dolan had worn the silly "cheese-head&q...
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

In my opinion, it is not an issue at all. If Dolan had worn the silly "cheese-head" hat during the entire Mass instead of His miter at the appropriate times during the Mass, that would have been an issue.

You have to give Cardinal Obrien credit, he did have the decency to remove himself from the process to elect a New Pope. Meanwhile, we Americans have to bear the cross of Cardinal Mahoney, who was disciplined by his Archbishop for those things he did covering up the priestly scandals in the Diocese of Los Angelas, not having the decency to remove himself. But then, he has never been known for his humility.

--hide--

Unfortunately Paul thats not what he will be remembered for, or indeed any clergy who repent wont be given credit or mercy the Media will see to that. Clearly Cardinal Mahoney is not man enough to admit he is wrong. A higher judge will decide

Mar 8th 2013 new

(Quote) Naomi-698107 said: Gets quite up my nose. When I was in my teen years my family went to a parish that removed kneele...
(Quote) Naomi-698107 said:

Gets quite up my nose. When I was in my teen years my family went to a parish that removed kneelers and the Tabanacal. My parents, were, how shall I politely phrase this, very much annoyed. They fought tooth and nail, but we had a former protestant turned Catholic Priest who still had trace elements of Protestant litergy and social thinking engrained in him. Frankly, I hated the building, it was cold, uninviting and looked like a public meeting hall then an actual Catholic Church. The stations of the Cross were piddly and it had one of those more "happy" crucifixes, with the risen Christ. Nothing wrong with it, but it looked kinda... well... hippish.

I had been to a few Parishes around the place, and generally they were the same sort of thing. As a passive agressive protest I just kneel on the floor. I was most upset when I finally went into the Church I had been baptised in. The place had been a victim of arson years before, and I hadn't been in the new one. When I went in, well, it was purposefully built so you could NOT kneel, it was just physically impossible, even on the floor. You couldn't even find the space in the isle to do it, or at the back. It was actually a tight squeeze to sit, esp. if you had long legs. It was horrid!!

Anyway, the Diocese I'm in now, a lot of reverence, it has restored my faith in Catholic practice in NZL. There are a few minor things that are creeping in from up North, but they're being fought by the majority of people. We lost our Catherdral in the quake, so I'm hoping if they don't fix it back up to its former glory, that we don't get some hideous pseudo-protestant type structure. Granted, the priests I"ve spoken to were seeking vision and ideas from European Churches that are hundreds of years old.

I hope the Diocese I'm in currently doesn't succumb to such wishy washy practices.

--hide--

I blame my Diocese of Palmerston North, far to liberal and Bishop Cullinane was never up to the job of laying the law down. Lets hope Bishop Fox has more fortitude, but still I see many laspes allowed by the Clergy. Here is hoping a New Pope will follow Emeritus Pope Benedict and stress obedience and cannon law. Less Homilies and more Catechism I think is needed in the Church

Mar 8th 2013 new

(Quote) Patrick-624504 said: I blame my Diocese of Palmerston North, far to liberal and Bishop Cullinane was never ...

I blame my Diocese of Palmerston North, far to liberal and Bishop Cullinane was never up to the job of laying the law down. Lets hope Bishop Fox has more fortitude, but still I see many laspes allowed by the Clergy. Here is hoping a New Pope will follow Emeritus Pope Benedict and stress obedience and cannon law. Less Homilies and more Catechism I think is needed in the Church

--hide--

I know exactly what you mean. I grew up in Hawkes Bay. We were heavily afflicted with their liberal nonsense. Shame really, I met Bishop Cullinane and he was a nice enough chap, the other guy who's name I keep forgetting who they brought in when Bisp. Cullinane was sick was also pleasant. However, niceness and pleasantness do not always equal faithful to the teachings of the Church or understanding the spirit of Vat II.

Mar 8th 2013 new

(Quote) Naomi-698107 said: I know exactly what you mean. I grew up in Hawkes Bay. We were heavily afflicted with th...
(Quote) Naomi-698107 said:

I know exactly what you mean. I grew up in Hawkes Bay. We were heavily afflicted with their liberal nonsense. Shame really, I met Bishop Cullinane and he was a nice enough chap, the other guy who's name I keep forgetting who they brought in when Bisp. Cullinane was sick was also pleasant. However, niceness and pleasantness do not always equal faithful to the teachings of the Church or understanding the spirit of Vat II.

--hide--

A caution. The "spirit of Vatican II" is exactly what knocked the Church off the rails. Its problem was that it had nothing to do with VII.

A more accurate way of saying what you intend is to just say, "... or understanding of Vatican II and its teachings."

Posts 71 - 80 of 84