Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for supportive and informative discussion about divorce and/or the annulment process. All posters must have been previously divorced or annulled.

Saint Eugene De Mazenod is patron of dysfunctional families & Saint Fabiola obtained a divorce from her first husband prior to devoting her life to charitable works.
Learn More: Saint Eugene De Mazenod and Saint Fabiola

Feb 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Donna-871766 said: Do you still have to write a "story" for a lack of form annulment? I am dealing with an...
(Quote) Donna-871766 said:

Do you still have to write a "story" for a lack of form annulment? I am dealing with an elderly decon who seems confused at times. I don't think he has ever come cross one.

--hide--

Not sure what's required. I think you just fill out a questionnaire and provide a brief statement. You might want to find a different advocate. It's best to have someone who's knowledgable and on his toes.

Feb 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Donna-83441 said: (Quote) Guerrc-943434 said: When I was married we did not have a cerimony i...
(Quote) Donna-83441 said:

Quote:
Guerrc-943434 said:

When I was married we did not have a cerimony inside the holy church (it was on the beach). How am I viewed now ? Technically was i never married or .....??

You are divorced.. You may, however, qualify for an annulment called a Lack of Canonical Form.. Contact your local Tribunal and they will be able to help you..

--hide--
You'll get a response in a few weeks.You were never married Sacramentally.You are free to marry in the Catholic Church after the response from the tribunal is official..

Feb 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Donna-871766 said: Do you still have to write a "story" for a lack of form annulment? I am dealing with an...

Do you still have to write a "story" for a lack of form annulment? I am dealing with an elderly decon who seems confused at times. I don't think he has ever come cross one.

--hide--

I have a lack of form annulment. My experience is that I was given a brief application to fill out. I was asked to provide these original documents to attach to the application to support it: Birth Certificate. Marriage license. Divorce decree. Baptismal Certificate. Confirmation Certificate. Not photocopies. This was for a lack of form-Decree of Nullity. Fr. asked me questions. Did you leave the Church to get married? Where were you married? He told me beforehand that it would be a lack of form annulment. He sent it to the Tribunal. It goes to the first Tribunal in my Diocese. and then on to the second Tribunal in another Diocese. I had to provide my ex address for them to inform him. I wasn't asked for a fee. The decision was within a few months, but Fr. forgot to give me the document and I forgot about it. So it is important to ask about it!

Feb 15th 2013 new

Another question Fr. asked was, " Did you ask for peromission to marry in the way that you did?"

Feb 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Sandra-871852 said: Another question Fr. asked was, " Did you ask for peromission to marry in the way that you ...
(Quote) Sandra-871852 said:

Another question Fr. asked was, " Did you ask for peromission to marry in the way that you did?"

--hide--

This is an excellent point: if you received a dispensation from canonical form you won't be able to get a decree of nullity based on lack of form and will have to go through the full process.

Feb 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Guerrc-943434 said: When I was married we did not have a cerimony inside the holy church (it was on the beach). How ...
(Quote) Guerrc-943434 said:

When I was married we did not have a cerimony inside the holy church (it was on the beach). How am I viewed now ? Technically was i never married or .....??

--hide--

There are several assumptions that need to be cleared up here...

Was the minister of the ceremony a Catholic priest or deacon? (While Catholic weddings are generally supposed to be held inside a church, there are priests who do not adhere to this. Having a Catholic wedding on a beach may be illicit; however, it would not, in and of itself, invalidate the marriage.)

Were either you or the bride Catholic at the time of the ceremony?

If the answers to the above questions are "No" and "Yes", respectively, did you have a dispensation from canonical form?

If the answers are "No", "Yes", and "No", there's a good chance you will be able to use the lack of form process others have mentioned. Otherwise, you will have to go through the full process.

Feb 15th 2013 new

Thank you David and Sandra. Your advise is very much appreciated. I am friends on FB with the priest who is the head of the tribunal in our diocese and I was afraid to not follow the chain of command out of respect for the deacon but perhaps it's time I do. I sat and talked initially with the deacon in my parish and he told me what forms to get. When I saw him at mass he did not remember me and when I called him to let him know I had all the paperwork he told me to email him my "story". I responded that I did not know anything about a story and he said then we need to meet again and discuss the process. He confused me and told me to call him in March for an apt. UGH! I have nothing but time, no prince on the horizon, so with prayer and reflection it will be soon behind me.

Thanks again guys, I appreciate you all being here! hug

Feb 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Donna-871766 said: Thank you David and Sandra. Your advise is very much appreciated. I am friends on FB with the pr...

Thank you David and Sandra. Your advise is very much appreciated. I am friends on FB with the priest who is the head of the tribunal in our diocese and I was afraid to not follow the chain of command out of respect for the deacon but perhaps it's time I do. I sat and talked initially with the deacon in my parish and he told me what forms to get. When I saw him at mass he did not remember me and when I called him to let him know I had all the paperwork he told me to email him my "story". I responded that I did not know anything about a story and he said then we need to meet again and discuss the process. He confused me and told me to call him in March for an apt. UGH! I have nothing but time, no prince on the horizon, so with prayer and reflection it will be soon behind me.

Thanks again guys, I appreciate you all being here!

--hide--

This is not to denigrate the parish priests or deacons who do an outstanding job with their blessed work. But unless they have had formal training on annulments many of them hand out misinformation about the process..They are in essence 'winging it' ..The very best place to get the best information is the Tribunal..They work with annulments every day and are the most knowlegable about the correct process. They should have a list on the diocese website of lay people who have obtained special training to help someone through the process.. Our archdiocese here has an extensive list of such people just a short printout away..

Feb 16th 2013 new

I'm a convert and was briefly married and divorced before becoming Catholic. Right after I finished RCIA I made an appointment with my priest and he gave me the form to fill out. It was a bit emotionally draining to fill out and I had to find my ex-husband's info but it was done in a few days.

Even though the tribunal process took most of a year I really just had to go in for one meeting and talk on the phone a few times. The sent the official notification of annullment by mail. They did say it was a bit shorter for Catholics whose marriage was outside the church but honestly the whole process was not too bad. Much simpler than the civil divorce.

At the time I wasn't even thinking of dating but just wanted to get the process started so I could be free to marry in case that was my vocation in life. Converting was a big change and I wasn't ready to start dating right away. It seems like once you make an appointment with the priest and get the process started it is just a relief to get things going.

Now I do definitely feel called to the vocation of marriage and just have to make sure I don't lose track of the decree in case I do meet that special someone here.

Posts 11 - 19 of 19