Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people under 45. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

Frassati was dedicated to works of social action, charity, prayer and community.
Learn More:Pier Giorgio Frassati

May 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Meesch-691047 said: Where are all the bible study groups for single young adults? In the protestant churches, maybe that is...
(Quote) Meesch-691047 said: Where are all the bible study groups for single young adults? In the protestant churches, maybe that is where the Catholic soulmate candidates are hiding!
--hide--

Meesch, sad but true. Seems like the nondenominational churches are stealing otherwise good Catholic singles, because I sure don't see too many at local Catholic churches... but recall many SINGLE-specific functions during my Protestant years. As stated before, this is a problem the Catholic Church does not focus enough energy upon. Leadership comes from the top down. The church should do more to encourage singles and not be ashamed to do so.

May 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said: This thread reminds me of that song from "dirty dancing" a movie I saw in my younger d...
(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said:

This thread reminds me of that song from "dirty dancing" a movie I saw in my younger days. "Where have all the good men gone..."

Anyway......

I think they are all scared. I sure do wish they would stop being so though.

--hide--

Cheryl, you may just be right. What with divorce and abortion stealing our children away, many guys are afraid of commitment. And our society seems to be aloof and uninterested in men and men's issues (i.e., preparing us to become better fathers/husbands.) Indeed fewer men are "bringing home the bacon" these days (look at the number unemployed, and the number not finishing college compared to women.) Kind of makes me wonder how a man can earn a woman's respect when he's not in a position to provide for a family.

I'm not afraid of commitment... Just waiting for the right time (a complete/affirmative annulment). :-)

May 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Michael-780154 said: Nina, I found in my experience that >her< child was more important than I was. I...
(Quote) Michael-780154 said:

Nina, I found in my experience that >her< child was more important than I was. I think a lot of guys fear being so sidelined by preexisting children a woman may bring into a marriage...not to mention, after any are born into the marriage. This is not supposed to happen, but so many profiles of women say "my children come first and you must be able to deal with that." Ummmm..., as a man who values marriage and wants to be a partner with my wife (and not a second class citizen)... I'd say, "No thanks!" to such a woman if I were looking for a wife (which I will be, assuming my annulment decision stays on track.)

Nothing wrong with a woman has a child/children, but our Lord must be her first priority, and the marriage union must be her second--before the children.

--hide--

I agree with you Mr. Michael. Just ask my 12 year old daughter if she is more important than the Lord! lol. It has been my understanding that Matrimony comes before children. Not only is that the natural order of things, but really...

I suspect that sometimes, when women add that disclaimer, they have put a man before their children and eventually learned that he wasn't worth the exalted position he was given. I could be wrong though and I am sure that there are others with a different perspective.

May 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Lisa-962589 said: I agree with you Mr. Michael. Just ask my 12 year old daughter if she is more important t...
(Quote) Lisa-962589 said:

I agree with you Mr. Michael. Just ask my 12 year old daughter if she is more important than the Lord! lol. It has been my understanding that Matrimony comes before children. Not only is that the natural order of things, but really...

I suspect that sometimes, when women add that disclaimer, they have put a man before their children and eventually learned that he wasn't worth the exalted position he was given. I could be wrong though and I am sure that there are others with a different perspective.

--hide--

Could be. Many people's actions are based upon past hurts...

May 6th 2013 new
(Quote) Bridget-915414 said: I have a question for all of you guys out there....why can't I find a decent, single Catholic guy? How c...
(Quote) Bridget-915414 said:

I have a question for all of you guys out there....why can't I find a decent, single Catholic guy? How come they don't exist?

--hide--

Are you survailing the confessionals?
May 6th 2013 new

(Quote) Albert-964084 said: There are many single catholic guys even some that haven't been married. The problem with fi...
(Quote) Albert-964084 said:

There are many single catholic guys even some that haven't been married. The problem with finding guys or girls is the same as the problem with finding new friends. If you only look to find what you want then there is an overwhelming probability that you will not be what they want. This leads to a game of numbers where you will only find similar wants in a very small percentage and should be ready for a great deal of rejection to find interest from very few. large amount of effort for a small amount of interest.

If you open your search to include interest in more people then you are likely to have more success getting to know more people and letting what you want find you as long as you allow for that what you want to be flexible enough that you can adapt t it when it finds you. I find that this site as well as many religion based sites have too many people who are too rigid in their own status quo and that makes it dificult to empathise or even want to try. This means people miss out on what is out there and what is out there misses out on getting to know them. All of my great love stories have not come from the starngers that I meet directly but the ones that you meet from knowing them. In this way people could help each other but I find that too few of my girl - friends are willing to help. It can work though, if you help girls to meet the guys you aren't going to be involved with then they will be more willing to do the same for you.

--hide--

Well put Albert!

May 29th 2013 new
This is my biggest issue right now. My Protestant friends have Bible studies and group functions go to and it seems there is little or no interest for us to do it.
May 30th 2013 new
(quote) Matthew-972621 said: This is my biggest issue right now. My Protestant friends have Bible studies and group functions go to and it seems there is little or no interest for us to do it.
Then start one in your parish. Don't wait for someone else to do it for you.

There is probably a St Vincent DePaul society as well as Knights of Columbus Chapter in your parish, Have yoiu looked into those. In fact there are probably any number of other clubs, societies etc. in youir parish.
May 30th 2013 new
I would definately like to start one, however there seems to be little or no interest, I wouldn't know where to begin. There is St. Vincent DePaul involvement which I do help out with, there is men's club and Knight's of Columbus. All of those things are great, but I want Bible studies. When I do find Bible studies, usually at another parish, they're at 7:30 in the morning or another early morning time, which I can't attend as I am on my way to work at that time.
May 30th 2013 new
(quote) Matthew-972621 said: I would definately like to start one, however there seems to be little or no interest, I wouldn't know where to begin. There is St. Vincent DePaul involvement which I do help out with, there is men's club and Knight's of Columbus. All of those things are great, but I want Bible studies. When I do find Bible studies, usually at another parish, they're at 7:30 in the morning or another early morning time, which I can't attend as I am on my way to work at that time.
Hi, Matthew,
Greetings from a transplant from Indianapolis!
Fr. Noah Casey at the Cathedral started an adult singles group open to anyone: never married, divorced, widowed. It seemed to be going along well until his health problems caused him to take a break. I suggest you contact the Family Life Office at the Catholic Center. Deb Van Velse can give you more info about what's happening around the Archdiocese. In fact, one of my friends on the Southside, farther south than you maybe, wanted to get a group going a couple of years ago but I haven't heard if it was successful
As far as Bible studies are concerned, look on the Ascension Press website to see if you can locate a Bible study in the Indpls. area that uses their materials. I know Christ the King & Joan of Arc were conducting studies in the evening regularly using these particular materials. Joan of Arc's pastor, Fr. Guy Roberts, usually led some very popular studies of his own to which people from all over the area were coming.
As far as getting something going in your own parish, your best bet would be to talk to the person in charge of adult faith formation & see what they tell you. Other people to contact might be the DRE, Pastoral Associate & the pastor, of course.
What about programs, retreats, etc. at Fatima Retreat House?
There are all kinds of resources available in the greater Indianapolis area. See what you can find that interests you. May God direct your steps in this important direction. theheart Praying
Posts 161 - 170 of 196