Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Feb 28th 2013 new
(Quote) Brenda-74660 said: Not exactly Catholic School but kind of funny: I think Andrew was around twelve when Archbishop Sa...
(Quote) Brenda-74660 said: Not exactly Catholic School but kind of funny:

I think Andrew was around twelve when Archbishop Salaka came to confirm those that were ready in our parish. Andrew was asked to be one of the Altar Servers. So during the Mass the Archbishop's Aide handed the staff to my son while we were listening to some of the readings. It did not take long for me to notice the staff was not being held very still, in fact it was almost waiving back and forth. Yikes! It was all I could do to remain seated. Thankfully the Aide noticed and removed the staff a safe distance away from my son......
--hide--

As a side note the parish Andrew was trained to be an Altar server in took the training seriously and he was taught how to behave while serving Mass.....
Feb 28th 2013 new

When I was in about 3rd grade I had funny story with a few on my class mates and our priest. Some of my friends used to see how many pecans we could get from the pecan trees behind the school and rectory. One day during recess (we were on the opposite side of the school) we were throwing large sticks up in the pecan trees and watching all of the pecans fall. We would gather them up and do this over and over again. (We would eat them as a snack in class) We were having a good old time when one of us through a large stick up in the pecan tree that was taking a long time to fall, and Father Larkin proceeded to walk out from the door of the rectory at the same time. As Father was walking outside (he was very Irish and singing out loud to himself) la de da na da la all of the sudden one of the large sticks fell right in from on him and it startled him. All of us boys were watching and Father Larkins says "tut tut, you boys, my God, my God, what are you doing, what are you doing?" You have to picture this scene with Fathers thick Irish accent. He told us to get back to class and we did without hesitation. After we ran back around the building we realized the rest of the class was done with recess and went back to class. We were glad to be back in class and still alive after that ordeal.

I tell my boys sometimes "tut tut, you boys, what are doing?"

Feb 28th 2013 new

(Quote) Brenda-74660 said: Not exactly Catholic School but kind of funny: I think Andrew was around twelve when Archbishop ...
(Quote) Brenda-74660 said: Not exactly Catholic School but kind of funny:

I think Andrew was around twelve when Archbishop Salaka came to confirm those that were ready in our parish. Andrew was asked to be one of the Altar Servers. So during the Mass the Archbishop's Aide handed the staff to my son while we were listening to some of the readings. It did not take long for me to notice the staff was not being held very still, in fact it was almost waiving back and forth. Yikes! It was all I could do to remain seated. Thankfully the Aide noticed and removed the staff a safe distance away from my son......
--hide--

Brenda, this totally cracked me up. Josh had just finished altar server training when Archbishop Salatka came to St. Francis and Josh was one picked to serve. This time he happened to be the tallest of the boys which is saying something because height Josh didn't get. I was sitting on the side toward the front. Being the tallest that day, he was the one to carry the cross which is great except that the cross bearer doesn't have much to do until the offeratory. I look up during the consecration and Josh is on his knees on the side by himself bumping his head against the column to the basillica over the altar and twidling with the belt on his alb. I was doing the same thing trying to make myself stay seated while trying to will him to look in my direction so I could frown at him and shake my head. After Mass, I thought perhaps I should apologize to the Archbishop. I tried but he ruffled Josh's hair and said, He was a fine cross bearer. Josh beamed but admitted that was the most boring of the jobs and he liked the other side better. He is so strict and disciplined now, I can only imagine what he will do if his son does the same thing LOL.

Feb 28th 2013 new

(Quote) Tim-616385 said: When I was in about 3rd grade I had funny story with a few on my class mates and our priest. Some o...
(Quote) Tim-616385 said:

When I was in about 3rd grade I had funny story with a few on my class mates and our priest. Some of my friends used to see how many pecans we could get from the pecan trees behind the school and rectory. One day during recess (we were on the opposite side of the school) we were throwing large sticks up in the pecan trees and watching all of the pecans fall. We would gather them up and do this over and over again. (We would eat them as a snack in class) We were having a good old time when one of us through a large stick up in the pecan tree that was taking a long time to fall, and Father Larkin proceeded to walk out from the door of the rectory at the same time. As Father was walking outside (he was very Irish and singing out loud to himself) la de da na da la all of the sudden one of the large sticks fell right in from on him and it startled him. All of us boys were watching and Father Larkins says "tut tut, you boys, my God, my God, what are you doing, what are you doing?" You have to picture this scene with Fathers thick Irish accent. He told us to get back to class and we did without hesitation. After we ran back around the building we realized the rest of the class was done with recess and went back to class. We were glad to be back in class and still alive after that ordeal.

I tell my boys sometimes "tut tut, you boys, what are doing?"

--hide--

Tim that is an awesome story :-) lol

Feb 28th 2013 new

laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing

I was singing in the choir in I think 6th or 7th grade with some classmates in the basement hall in from of some parents for some occasion.

Well, the song was " Go now in peace"....( really liked that one!)

:eyepopping: :eyepopping: :eyepopping: :eyepopping: :eyepopping:

Low and behold, I scared the entire audience because I LITERALLY FAINTED while singing that song and hit the ground ! ! ! ! !

I'm sweating just thinking about it!!!

:dove: :dove: :dove: :dove: :dove: :dove:

Mar 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Rebecca-767861 said: I was singing in the choir in I think 6th or 7th grade with some classmates in the basem...
(Quote) Rebecca-767861 said:

I was singing in the choir in I think 6th or 7th grade with some classmates in the basement hall in from of some parents for some occasion.

Well, the song was " Go now in peace"....( really liked that one!)

Low and behold, I scared the entire audience because I LITERALLY FAINTED while singing that song and hit the ground ! ! ! ! !

I'm sweating just thinking about it!!!

--hide--

faint laughing laughing laughing laughing

Mar 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Lauren-927923 said: (Quote) Tara-916865 said: We had a 2 hour block for English/Spelling. F...
(Quote) Lauren-927923 said:

Quote:
Tara-916865 said:

We had a 2 hour block for English/Spelling. For some reason, teachers would just leave us unattended if they had to go to the office or use the restroom. Well, this boy behind me kept bothering me, while everyone else worked quietly. (YES, without the teacher even in the room.) I wasn't really annoyed, but I was like, When is this dude gonna quit? So I took my big textbook, turned around, and hit him with it. Right when I turned back around to face forward, the teacher had just walked back in the classroom and was staring. I just got back to work while he was complaining and saying ouch. lol The teacher never even told me a thing. Maybe she thought he deserved it.

I think that was 6th grade. This was a pre-K through 8th grade school. Up until we "graduated," he was still saying, "Tara hit me with a textbook and didn't even get in trouble!"

This cracked me up and brought to mind a tiff I had with a friend named Maggie on the playground in seventh grade. For some reason I wanted to be left alone and was sitting quietly by myself. Maggie kept pestering me, probably about whateve had made me want to be alone, I can't even remember what it was. But, I started to yell at her Maggie, half way through I decided her first full name would have more impact so switched it to Margaret but it came out more like Mag- aret. . . she went and told Sr. Prudence that I had called her a maggot LOL. . .next thing I know Sr. Prudence is looming over me and I got the lecture on watching my tongue and if I couldn't say something nice not to say anything at all. . .

--hide--

www.youtube.com

Are you Lauren or Garbo? scratchchin laughing mischievous

Mar 1st 2013 new

My story is a fond memory I will call The Laughing Nun. It was first grade, early 1960s, and we were learning to read. Sister Annette was a Benedictine in full nun regalia for the time, including wimple, headdress (?) and long black dress, rimless glasses. Sister Annette had a classroom of Baby Boomers (we were the largest class ever in my tiny hometown), but she was patient and kind. We learned to read by following the words in our books, and I believe we were told not to use our fingers. Well, somebody said something funny while we were practicing reading. Sister put her finger down to mark the place where the class was reading. I thought she was breaking the rules! faintI asked her and she was simply marking her place.

What an innocent memory.

Mar 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Brian-252799 said: This cracked me up and brought to mind a tiff I had with a friend named Maggie on the pl...
(Quote) Brian-252799 said:

This cracked me up and brought to mind a tiff I had with a friend named Maggie on the playground in seventh grade. For some reason I wanted to be left alone and was sitting quietly by myself. Maggie kept pestering me, probably about whateve had made me want to be alone, I can't even remember what it was. But, I started to yell at her Maggie, half way through I decided her first full name would have more impact so switched it to Margaret but it came out more like Mag- aret. . . she went and told Sr. Prudence that I had called her a maggot LOL. . .next thing I know Sr. Prudence is looming over me and I got the lecture on watching my tongue and if I couldn't say something nice not to say anything at all. . .

www.youtube.com

Are you Lauren or Garbo?

--hide--

I loved that Brian Thank you :-)) I love the older movies :-)). No one ever curtsied to me when I wanted to be alone lol. . .that was great!

Mar 1st 2013 new

I have too many to tell. mischievous

Posts 41 - 50 of 62