Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Feb 17th 2013 new

I wear leggings to the gym. They've become standard gym attire these days, so I didn't realize they would bother men since most women (at least in my gym) have them on (Do men become desensitized to this stuff at some point?). I'll have to look for a long t-shirt to wear with them now.

Leggings to Mass or out and about are not appropriate, unless of course they are under a dress like people said.

Follow-up question: Generally I think a dress/skirt should at least reach mid-knee to be considered appropriate. If you are wearing leggings under it, would a shorter skirt be appropriate? I'm asking because I see women wear shorter skirts over leggings than they would usually wear.

Feb 17th 2013 new

good question! I think (and this is my personal opinion) that the shortest a skirt should be is the top of the knee, or dang close to it. Leggings dont make shorter skirts more modest, a good way to think about it is 'its not how much skin is showing but how much of the body is shown in almost exact purportion to what it would look like naked'.

As for the gym, I'd say if its a girls only gym its fine but if there are guys there I would wear shorts over top of them?

Feb 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Lisa-54615 said: I didn't realize they would bother men since most women (at least in my gym) have them on (Do m...
(Quote) Lisa-54615 said:

I didn't realize they would bother men since most women (at least in my gym) have them on (Do men become desensitized to this stuff at some point?).

--hide--
It doesn't bother me. The same way that I am not bothered by women wearing their swim suit or bikini at the beach. But apparently, it bothers others as an issue of modesty. I guess it really is a matter of perspective.

Feb 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Donna-83441 said: A new twist on the modesty question which has been DONE TO DEATH in these Forums.. Do you realise ...
(Quote) Donna-83441 said:

A new twist on the modesty question which has been DONE TO DEATH in these Forums.. Do you realise it's nearly always men who start these? If women want to discuss this topic we do it in the Pink Room..

--hide--

Donna,

the problem with ONLY WOMEN discussing modesty is that women see other women differently, true modesty is measured by the opposite sex. Id say the same for men, men cannot judge modesty for themselves, women must help them in that journey. I say this with all charity but if modesty discussions were only allowed to be by women for women, leggings and yoga pants would have been popular years ago and no issue would be had with them.

Feb 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Tara-916865 said: Leggings are not pants! Say it with me, everyone! LEGGINGS ARE NOT PANTS!
(Quote) Tara-916865 said:

Leggings are not pants! Say it with me, everyone! LEGGINGS ARE NOT PANTS!

--hide--

YES! AMEN TARA! A voice of reason cries out from the wilderness haha seems we are always on this side in modesty discussions

Feb 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Brian-144650 said: YES! AMEN TARA! A voice of reason cries out from the wilderness haha seems we a...
(Quote) Brian-144650 said:

YES! AMEN TARA! A voice of reason cries out from the wilderness haha seems we are always on this side in modesty discussions

--hide--

THAT'S SCARY! laughing

Feb 17th 2013 new

Just this woman's opinion: leggings worn on their own with a light top (short or tunic-length) are just simply a crime against fashion and shouldn't be worn by anyone ever anywhere. wide eyed They are also immodest. They really are no different from heavy tights worn by us ladies who live up north when we wear a skirt in the winter and pantyhose are too cold. (Sorry if that is too much information. embarassed ) Leggings need to have something over them that still form a part of a "bottom" of an outfit, usually some type of skirt or jumper-style dress. If they are worn with another bottom, I would definitely wear them, and I don't see a problem wearing that to Mass that way.

Yoga pants are a different story. They come in different fabrics and different styles. Although all virtually have some spandex, some are really not much different from sweatpants, running pants or cotton pants, thus appropriate for the gym, the track, workout activities, and perhaps even weekend or casual daily wear. If they are solid black, they often look no different from casual black slacks that are pretty acceptable for all activities, including attending Mass. If the yoga pants are low-rise and worn with cropped top, or are from a very tight-fitting high-content spandex fabric, then I would not wear them anywhere ever, and I do not think that is appropriate for Mass.

Feb 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Lisa-54615 said: I wear leggings to the gym. They've become standard gym attire these days, so I didn't real...
(Quote) Lisa-54615 said:

I wear leggings to the gym. They've become standard gym attire these days, so I didn't realize they would bother men since most women (at least in my gym) have them on (Do men become desensitized to this stuff at some point?). I'll have to look for a long t-shirt to wear with them now.

Leggings to Mass or out and about are not appropriate, unless of course they are under a dress like people said.

Follow-up question: Generally I think a dress/skirt should at least reach mid-knee to be considered appropriate. If you are wearing leggings under it, would a shorter skirt be appropriate? I'm asking because I see women wear shorter skirts over leggings than they would usually wear.

--hide--

A lot of the young girls around here wear jean mini-skirts that are above-the-knee with leggings because they don't like bare legs with a mini-skirt. I think this is a more modest alternative to a popular style for the younger set (early teens to perhaps early twenties). It is not something I would wear, though.

Feb 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Brian-144650 said: Donna, the problem with ONLY WOMEN discussing modesty is that women see other wom...
(Quote) Brian-144650 said:

Donna,

the problem with ONLY WOMEN discussing modesty is that women see other women differently, true modesty is measured by the opposite sex. Id say the same for men, men cannot judge modesty for themselves, women must help them in that journey. I say this with all charity but if modesty discussions were only allowed to be by women for women, leggings and yoga pants would have been popular years ago and no issue would be had with them.

--hide--

Brian..Mini skirts and fishnet stockings were around before you were born.. We called leggings, tights back in the 1960's.. This is not an issue contemporary to 2013..

Feb 17th 2013 new

Many of the girls where I work in DC go jogging during work...I've worked there for about 10 years now. Over the past few years, you started to see many of them wearing these very tight spandex "pants"(I guess what are referred to as yoga pants?) that leave absolutely nothing to the imagination. I guess you become a bit desensitized because it was rather, for lack of a better word, "shocking" at first. I think the setting made it all the more shocking. Perhaps it's one thing at the gym, but one minute they are in business attire in an office building and the next....

If they want attention...believe me...they are getting it. The men I work with don't hesitate to acknowledge their approval...if you know what I mean. But we men can be rather hypocritical at times. What's good enough for someone else's daughter, sister, niece, wife, mother etc. is not good enough for our own. Nothing like seeing someone you care about showing off all the "goods" to change your mind about things when you know what the other guys are thinking/saying. I'm not trying to put anyone in a burqa, but a little modesty for the private parts seems appropriate. I don't know if these women think that wearing a pair of shorts over them or a long t-shirt(which some do) would look tacky or unfashionable. Or maybe they're Olympic hopefuls and they're trying to be as aerodynamic as possible so as to knock precious seconds off their run times. It's kind of like women's beach volleyball. The men can play in shorts and a t-shirt, but apparently the women can't function unless they are wearing the skimpiest bikini they can find.

Posts 11 - 20 of 113