Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Feb 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Brian-144650 said: the problem with ONLY WOMEN discussing modesty is that women see other women differently, tru...
(Quote) Brian-144650 said:

the problem with ONLY WOMEN discussing modesty is that women see other women differently, true modesty is measured by the opposite sex.

--hide--

I do agree that people often don't consider the perspective of the other gender, and that can be a problem. Getting input from the opposite gender regarding how they perceive certain things can be helpful. But I'm not sure what is meant by "true modesty is measured by the opposite sex."

The goal of modesty isn't just for the sake of the other (helping the opposite sex). www.youtube.com This video points this out very nicely especially starting at 2:11 Modesty is ultimately about preserving the dignity of the person who practices it, preserving the truth of who we are (not just our bodies) and Whose we are. In the video she quotes Blessed John Paul II from Love and Responsibility: "First and foremost modesty is good for the woman herself".

Feb 17th 2013 new

Indeed sarah, but if the planet were all male or all female, modesty doesn't exist b/c all are the same. So I think what JP 2 is saying is modesty is upholding the dignity of the person through which God and therefore his creation (male or female) views the person.

Feb 17th 2013 new

Donna...I teach high school, it is a contemporary issue. They may have been invented back in the 1960s but the issue is now they are used for pants and nothing else and it is RAMPANT. The 1960s craziest people wore them sure but it was not the national trend, today it is the national trend. Similar to contraception, that has been around for forever, yet today it is one of the biggest issues.

Feb 17th 2013 new

I see it in the middle school that I work at. I feel leggings and yoga pants should only be worn at home. Why would you want to wear pants that you can see everything in.

Feb 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Jim-50634 said: Many of the girls where I work in DC go jogging during work...I've worked there for about 10 yea...
(Quote) Jim-50634 said:

Many of the girls where I work in DC go jogging during work...I've worked there for about 10 years now. Over the past few years, you started to see many of them wearing these very tight spandex "pants"(I guess what are referred to as yoga pants?) that leave absolutely nothing to the imagination. I guess you become a bit desensitized because it was rather, for lack of a better word, "shocking" at first. I think the setting made it all the more shocking. Perhaps it's one thing at the gym, but one minute they are in business attire in an office building and the next....

If they want attention...believe me...they are getting it. The men I work with don't hesitate to acknowledge their approval...if you know what I mean. But we men can be rather hypocritical at times. What's good enough for someone else's daughter, sister, niece, wife, mother etc. is not good enough for our own. Nothing like seeing someone you care about showing off all the "goods" to change your mind about things when you know what the other guys are thinking/saying. I'm not trying to put anyone in a burqa, but a little modesty for the private parts seems appropriate. I don't know if these women think that wearing a pair of shorts over them or a long t-shirt(which some do) would look tacky or unfashionable. Or maybe they're Olympic hopefuls and they're trying to be as aerodynamic as possible so as to knock precious seconds off their run times. It's kind of like women's beach volleyball. The men can play in shorts and a t-shirt, but apparently the women can't function unless they are wearing the skimpiest bikini they can find.

--hide--

clap Thank you Jim for covering it all. You deserve a cookie. cookie I have a daughter and granddaughters and wish there was a tad bit more attention paid to clothing selections and resistance to Hollywood fashion influence. The last thing women of any age should want to do is desensitiz men and only men can provide the their point of view. I work in education and I am glad shirts have gotten longer and the whale tail has been covered.

LOL on women's beach volleyball.

Feb 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Brian-144650 said: Donna...I teach high school, it is a contemporary issue. They may have been invented back in the ...

Donna...I teach high school, it is a contemporary issue. They may have been invented back in the 1960s but the issue is now they are used for pants and nothing else and it is RAMPANT. The 1960s craziest people wore them sure but it was not the national trend, today it is the national trend. Similar to contraception, that has been around for forever, yet today it is one of the biggest issues.

--hide--

I, too, work in a high school that doesn't have uniforms. Leggings are becoming more popular by the day. I remember reading about this back in November. www.whas11.com

Feb 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Jim-50634 said: Many of the girls where I work in DC go jogging during work...I've worked there for about 10 yea...
(Quote) Jim-50634 said:

Many of the girls where I work in DC go jogging during work...I've worked there for about 10 years now. Over the past few years, you started to see many of them wearing these very tight spandex "pants"(I guess what are referred to as yoga pants?) that leave absolutely nothing to the imagination. I guess you become a bit desensitized because it was rather, for lack of a better word, "shocking" at first. I think the setting made it all the more shocking. Perhaps it's one thing at the gym, but one minute they are in business attire in an office building and the next....

If they want attention...believe me...they are getting it. The men I work with don't hesitate to acknowledge their approval...if you know what I mean. But we men can be rather hypocritical at times. What's good enough for someone else's daughter, sister, niece, wife, mother etc. is not good enough for our own. Nothing like seeing someone you care about showing off all the "goods" to change your mind about things when you know what the other guys are thinking/saying. I'm not trying to put anyone in a burqa, but a little modesty for the private parts seems appropriate. I don't know if these women think that wearing a pair of shorts over them or a long t-shirt(which some do) would look tacky or unfashionable. Or maybe they're Olympic hopefuls and they're trying to be as aerodynamic as possible so as to knock precious seconds off their run times. It's kind of like women's beach volleyball. The men can play in shorts and a t-shirt, but apparently the women can't function unless they are wearing the skimpiest bikini they can find.

--hide--

Wow, what kind of jobs do they have? I'm curious. I can barely eat and use the restroom. lol Jogging? Is there a dress code? I can see the convenience factor here, but I guess I don't understand how it's allowed.

I guess you mean y'all have become desensitized to women dressing this way, but as you stated, you realize that they're dressing inappropriately.

Feb 17th 2013 new

I think it is inappropriate to wear yoga pants outside of a gym. But I'm obviously in the minority, as usual.

Feb 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Tara-916865 said: Wow, what kind of jobs do they have? I'm curious. I can barely eat and u...
(Quote) Tara-916865 said:

Wow, what kind of jobs do they have? I'm curious. I can barely eat and use the restroom. lol Jogging? Is there a dress code? I can see the convenience factor here, but I guess I don't understand how it's allowed.

I guess you mean y'all have become desensitized to women dressing this way, but as you stated, you realize that they're dressing inappropriately.

--hide--

Federal government workers...Senators' staff...maybe it's their lunch break...I'm just a police officer observing my surroundings...

Feb 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Brian-144650 said: Indeed sarah, but if the planet were all male or all female, modesty doesn't exist b/c all ar...

Indeed sarah, but if the planet were all male or all female, modesty doesn't exist b/c all are the same. So I think what JP 2 is saying is modesty is upholding the dignity of the person through which God and therefore his creation (male or female) views the person.

--hide--

I guess I'm still not understanding what you mean by "true" modesty being "measured" by the opposite sex in your previous post. There are different things that are a temptation for different people. Some might view one thing as tempting because of their own leanings, past struggle with sin, or their inability to control their thoughts. That isn't necessarily a measure of the other person's modesty. It might be the viewing person's own weakness at play. I think the "measuring" comes from preserving dignity, not necessarily how the other person reacts.

Anyhow, I'm not trying to derail the yoga pants/leggings conversation. I was just curious about the specific words you chose.

Peace

Posts 21 - 30 of 113