Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Feb 18th 2013 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: There are plenty of priests who spend HOURS in the confessional every week. They tend to be religious ra...
(Quote) David-364112 said: There are plenty of priests who spend HOURS in the confessional every week. They tend to be religious rather than diocesan priests. Also, priests of Opus Dei hear confessions for hours on end. We must be gentle on our poor parish priests. They get attacked from all sides. They get dumped on. The get complained about. The bishops get anonymous letters about them. It's a wonder they all don't quit in disgust or get roaring drunk every night. Every minute of their time belongs to someone else and more often than not, that person is ungrateful. Look around and you'll find priests in your diocese who hear confessions all the time.
--hide--
So what do you do when you hear this preaced from the pulpit .At the Christmas mass this year, the pastor of the Church I go to. Greeted all the once a year Catholics at the mass, he told them that as a Catholic they are required to at least come to mass once a year and the same with confession and it was good to see so many doing there Catholic duty.

I think most of those Catholics left the Mass thinking that is all they have to do, as a Catholic. Why did he not tell them they are required to come to mass every week??? As is the fact about being a Catholic. I understand the priest are busy, but to busy to tell the facts about the Church when they have a perfect chance??? I think most non practicing Catholics don't go to Mass or confession because they don't think they have to. If the priest don't teach the faith when they can who will???

Most on here talk about this, because we see the church and how things have changed so much. Our Catholic faith has lost so many Catholics because most of them don't even know why they should go to confession, never mind Mass. Look at all the public Catholics who are making the laws that will harm the Church. How do so many of them not know what they are doing is wrong. and aginst there Church???

Feb 18th 2013 new

I like confession, sorry to say I need it. I wish some priests would give more direction, the ones that do, help me more. And more people need to know about sinning and what is a sin. I will mention that such a thing is a sin and people say it used to be but not anymore because they don't hear it talked about anymore, I don't understand that one.

Feb 18th 2013 new
Thomas - I think you may have misunderstood. The bare minimum is to attend mass, make a confession, and receive communion once once year. That's in my old missal as well as current rules. You are correct in saying we're obligated to go weekly. The priest was trying to encourage the C&E Catholics to come back. He could have been more precise or forceful but was trying to walk a line between remonstrance and feel good language. Please don't criticize him too harshly. He hears all sorts of things we don't hear including why people left or stay away. Often that's very emotional. He was trying to encourage a return. Sorry it wasn't to your liking, but he was trying his best to reach out.
Feb 18th 2013 new
Why all this bitterness and anger? Pray!!! Have faith. Hope. Above all, LOVE!!
Feb 18th 2013 new
(Quote) Jessica-897416 said: I am not sure about anyone else but I really wish that we could be blessed with priests today like Padre Pio ...
(Quote) Jessica-897416 said:

I am not sure about anyone else but I really wish that we could be blessed with priests today like Padre Pio or St. John Vianney who stay in the confessional for hours at end to hear confessions and not a mere 30 minutes to an hour once a week before Saturday evening mass and priests that can read souls. I also don't get who some priests change the words to the absolution prayer. Comments...

--hide--

No harm in contacting the priest to ask for confession during another time that may be more effective for both of you. And while there, you can also ask for guidance and direction with your concerns. You don't want to turn it into a 2 hour therapy session, but it can do wonders for you when your priest gives you direction and you follow it.

I have been blessed with priests who will make time without asking why I cannot go on the other available times (which is Saturday morning, Saturday afternoon and Wednesday during Adoration and Mass). My pastor never fails to give me guidance and encouragement (and occasionally chastisement sad )
Feb 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Jessica-897416 said: I am not sure about anyone else but I really wish that we could be blessed with priests today l...
(Quote) Jessica-897416 said:

I am not sure about anyone else but I really wish that we could be blessed with priests today like Padre Pio or St. John Vianney who stay in the confessional for hours at end to hear confessions and not a mere 30 minutes to an hour once a week before Saturday evening mass and priests that can read souls. I also don't get who some priests change the words to the absolution prayer. Comments...

--hide--

I read in the diary of St Faustina that Jesus say not to worry about your confessor. He is "only a screen". You are actually confessing to Jesus.

That is true if your confessor is Padre Pio or your local priest. biggrin

Mick

Feb 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Joanna-615441 said: No harm in contacting the priest to ask for confession during another time that may be more eff...
(Quote) Joanna-615441 said:

No harm in contacting the priest to ask for confession during another time that may be more effective for both of you. And while there, you can also ask for guidance and direction with your concerns. You don't want to turn it into a 2 hour therapy session, but it can do wonders for you when your priest gives you direction and you follow it.

I have been blessed with priests who will make time without asking why I cannot go on the other available times (which is Saturday morning, Saturday afternoon and Wednesday during Adoration and Mass). My pastor never fails to give me guidance and encouragement (and occasionally chastisement )
--hide--
I wish it were that way with all priests, but many are too busy being a parish administrator to offer confession on the fly, which is understandable in present times where priests are in short supply and have to wear multiple hats. I once approached a priest after Mass and asked if he could hear my confession sometime over the next few days before I departed on a business trip, and he directed me to the parish bulletin for days/times that confession was offered.

But at another parish I used to attend there was a elderly monsignor serving in an emeritus role, but who still celebrated at least one Mass on Sundays and could often be found weeknights wandering the gardens of the church praying his rosary. You could approach him and ask to have your confession heard, and he would guide you into the Marian chapel by the garden to hear it on the spot.

Feb 18th 2013 new

My parish has confession on Saturday afternoons and Tuesday evenings (and also Wednesday evenings in Lent), but only for an hour or so. The priests are also available for confession by appointment. In the Washington, D.C. area, we are fortunate to have the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, in NE DC, where they have confession for several hours every day. I sometimes will go there, despite the 35 minute drive, when I am not able to make it during the parish hours. At least some other large cities may have a similar location (for example, Cathedral of Saints Peter and Paul in Philadelphia). It might be worth investigating for those who find that their parish confession times are not adequate.

Feb 18th 2013 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: Thomas - I think you may have misunderstood. The bare minimum is to attend mass, make a confession, and ...
(Quote) David-364112 said: Thomas - I think you may have misunderstood. The bare minimum is to attend mass, make a confession, and receive communion once once year. That's in my old missal as well as current rules. You are correct in saying we're obligated to go weekly. The priest was trying to encourage the C&E Catholics to come back. He could have been more precise or forceful but was trying to walk a line between remonstrance and feel good language. Please don't criticize him too harshly. He hears all sorts of things we don't hear including why people left or stay away. Often that's very emotional. He was trying to encourage a return. Sorry it wasn't to your liking, but he was trying his best to reach out.
--hide--
How is that the bare minimum??? If you don't go to Mass on Sunday it's a mortal sin as far as I have learn from the faith are have known all my life. What makes me wonder is how so many Catholics don't know this. Who went to the same Catholic school I went to or went to religious instuctions.t It's like they don't teach this anymore.

Feb 18th 2013 new
Most Catholics know but they don't care. Pray for them. Love them. Why so angry? Be grateful that you're responding to God's call. Pray for our priests. Everyone wants to diss the poor guys. Encourage them instead of berating them. Look it up, the bare minimum is mass communion & confession during eastertide. That doesn't mean that someone who fulfills this minimum is not sinning by missing mass the rest of the year.
Posts 11 - 20 of 102