Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Feb 19th 2013 new

(Quote) Lisa-54615 said: Just to clarify: The Precepts of the Church (emphasis mine):

(Quote) Lisa-54615 said:

Just to clarify: The Precepts of the Church (emphasis mine):

To assist at Mass on all Sundays and holy days of obligation.

To fast and to abstain on the days appointed.

To confess our sins at least once a year.

To receive Holy Communion during the Easter time.

To contribute to the support of the Church.

To observe the laws of the Church concerning marriage.

We are only obligated to receive Communion once a year, but we must attend Mass each Sunday. THAT is the bare minimum.

--hide--

Thanks for the clarification. I was just researching the words "Easter obligation" and "Easter duty" to find an answer when I saw your post. You hit it spot on. I think Thomas was misunderstanding what I was trying (imperfectly) to say.

Feb 19th 2013 new

(Quote) Tom-112790 said: -I have a monastery about 35 minutes from me where they have confession every day...from approx...
(Quote) Tom-112790 said:

-I have a monastery about 35 minutes from me where they have confession every day...from approx 10-12 3-6 8-10. I frequent this

monastery even though its a bit of a drive. And the priests have more time and different type duties than the parish priests.

--hide--

There is always a place that hears confessions more often and longer than the crowded half hour before the Saturday vigil Mass. It may mean a little less convenience for us, but that's not a bad thing.

For 2 or 3 days in a row just before Lent, I waited in the confessional line for 35 minutes and whn I got the the front, off went the lights and out came the priest to say Mass. Twice it was a visiting priest who said he'd be unavailable after Mass because he had to run back to the hospital where he's the chaplain. On the last day the friars had returned and the one hearing confessions offered to return after Mass. Each time I started to get mad and resentful. But I forced myself to focus on what I had done and told myself that this was God's way of telling me to consider not only my sins but the great cost that comes with his mercy (i.e. the passion). I prayed "Dear God, I have nothing to offer you but my anger and resentment. Please take them from me and make them holy." I was astounded by the grace this produced. It was a lesson in patience, humility, and the penitential spirit. Sometimes we need to ask God to help us see what he's trying to give us. Looking back, I see now that those 3 days of delay and frustration were a gift. When I finally made it to confession, the grace and joy I felt upon hearing the words of absolution were incomparable. God is so good!

theheart

Feb 19th 2013 new

WOW you guys ROCK!

I am blessed--- again---to have priests who have confession before all of the masses and during the mass. Also, they will hear yours whenever if they are available..we just need to ask. And they will also make an appointment if you need more time. Our confession line is always full. Also there is a confrary of friars about 30 min drive that they have set confessions two nights a week and the lines are long as well. They will also make appointments when necessary. Or be your spiritual director. Praying theheart Ice Skating shamrock

Feb 19th 2013 new

(Quote) Jessica-897416 said: I am not sure about anyone else but I really wish that we could be blessed with priests today l...
(Quote) Jessica-897416 said:

I am not sure about anyone else but I really wish that we could be blessed with priests today like Padre Pio or St. John Vianney who stay in the confessional for hours at end to hear confessions and not a mere 30 minutes to an hour once a week before Saturday evening mass and priests that can read souls. I also don't get who some priests change the words to the absolution prayer. Comments...

--hide--

I tend to go to Shrines or parishes staffed by religous priests. There are usually more priests and they hear confessions before every mass. This is sometimes true at Cathedrals too, if you live in or near your diocesan seat.

Feb 19th 2013 new

(Quote) Jessica-897416 said: I am not sure about anyone else but I really wish that we could be blessed with priests today like Pad...
(Quote) Jessica-897416 said: I am not sure about anyone else but I really wish that we could be blessed with priests today like Padre Pio or St. John Vianney who stay in the confessional for hours at end to hear confessions and not a mere 30 minutes to an hour once a week before Saturday evening mass and priests that can read souls. I also don't get who some priests change the words to the absolution prayer. Comments...
--hide--

I am truly blessed theheart to belong to a diocesan parish that is devoutly traditional. Our amazing priest (with one associate priest and an occasional senior priest) offers at least 3 least daily Masses (including Saturday mornings), 2 Saturday vigil Masses (one Tridentine), and 5 Sunday Masses for our approx 1000-family parish. Confession is available for 1/2 hour before EVERY one of those Masses, in addition to two hours on Saturday morning (equals over 14 hours of confession availability!!). Our confession lines are NEVER empty! As the secular movie Field of Dreams says: "If you build it, they will come". This is OUR FAITH that our priest is building; everyday, every Mass, every confession, every homily......

Our young (40 yr old) priest believes in providing all that he can (as our spiritual father) to his parishioners. I truly believe that these are the type of priests that are needed to build up the laity. He is on fire for our Catholic faith. He is constantly bringing in bishops and priests from all over the diocese, state, nation, and WORLD to minister to us and assist him. pope Our 'army' of altar boys is staggering!!! This past Sunday there were 78 (!!) altar boys processing. It is no wonder that our parish has the most seminarians! Praying

Truly, a blessing beyond measure. I wish all parishes could experience this!

Christina

Feb 19th 2013 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: Thanks for the clarification. I was just researching the words "Easter obligati...
(Quote) David-364112 said:

Thanks for the clarification. I was just researching the words "Easter obligation" and "Easter duty" to find an answer when I saw your post. You hit it spot on. I think Thomas was misunderstanding what I was trying (imperfectly) to say.

--hide--
Yes that clarifies and thanks for the clarification also. The reason it bothers me, is this example. My sister and also my sister inlaw (my Brothers wife) and her mother, think you can go to mass and when we say the prayer at the beginning of mass. where we ask forgiveness for our sins for all we have done at not have done and to our brothers and sister. They think that is the same as going to a priest to forgive our sins and also they also think we are only required to go to mass and confession once a year. Also when I try and tell them, this is not so, I get told I don't know what i'm talking about. It just strikes me odd that so many people don't know these things and how did they come to believe this is true???

Feb 19th 2013 new

(Quote) Thomas-699657 said: Yes that clarifies and thanks for the clarification also. The reason it bothers me, is this exam...
(Quote) Thomas-699657 said:

Yes that clarifies and thanks for the clarification also. The reason it bothers me, is this example. My sister and also my sister inlaw (my Brothers wife) and her mother, think you can go to mass and when we say the prayer at the beginning of mass. where we ask forgiveness for our sins for all we have done at not have done and to our brothers and sister. They think that is the same as going to a priest to forgive our sins and also they also think we are only required to go to mass and confession once a year. Also when I try and tell them, this is not so, I get told I don't know what i'm talking about. It just strikes me odd that so many people don't know these things and how did they come to believe this is true???

--hide--

Tell them. Listen to what they say. Don't argue. maybe give them something to read. Then leave it up to God.

Feb 19th 2013 new

I know what I'm saying sounds crazy, but I learned th ehArd ay to trust God and have faith. Things do turn out as they should.

Feb 19th 2013 new

(Quote) Thomas-699657 said: Yes that clarifies and thanks for the clarification also. The reason it bothers me, is this example. My...
(Quote) Thomas-699657 said: Yes that clarifies and thanks for the clarification also. The reason it bothers me, is this example. My sister and also my sister inlaw (my Brothers wife) and her mother, think you can go to mass and when we say the prayer at the beginning of mass. where we ask forgiveness for our sins for all we have done at not have done and to our brothers and sister. They think that is the same as going to a priest to forgive our sins and also they also think we are only required to go to mass and confession once a year. Also when I try and tell them, this is not so, I get told I don't know what i'm talking about. It just strikes me odd that so many people don't know these things and how did they come to believe this is true???
--hide--

Thomas,
I agree with David's wise advice. As much as we want to shake their confused little heads, we have to meet them 'where they are'. scratchchin , with kindness, understanding, written material, and most of all, prayer. Praying rosary theheart

God bless,
Christina

Feb 19th 2013 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: There is always a place that hears confessions more often and longer than the crowde...
(Quote) David-364112 said:

There is always a place that hears confessions more often and longer than the crowded half hour before the Saturday vigil Mass. It may mean a little less convenience for us, but that's not a bad thing.

For 2 or 3 days in a row just before Lent, I waited in the confessional line for 35 minutes and whn I got the the front, off went the lights and out came the priest to say Mass. Twice it was a visiting priest who said he'd be unavailable after Mass because he had to run back to the hospital where he's the chaplain. On the last day the friars had returned and the one hearing confessions offered to return after Mass. Each time I started to get mad and resentful. But I forced myself to focus on what I had done and told myself that this was God's way of telling me to consider not only my sins but the great cost that comes with his mercy (i.e. the passion). I prayed "Dear God, I have nothing to offer you but my anger and resentment. Please take them from me and make them holy." I was astounded by the grace this produced. It was a lesson in patience, humility, and the penitential spirit. Sometimes we need to ask God to help us see what he's trying to give us. Looking back, I see now that those 3 days of delay and frustration were a gift. When I finally made it to confession, the grace and joy I felt upon hearing the words of absolution were incomparable. God is so good!

--hide--

This is so beautiful David... Sounds like Our Lord also graced you with a healthy dose of self knowlege in the process too... *smile*

Something similar happened to me though I was cut off just before Mass like that three separate times. And I forget how many other things "happened" to prevent me from getting to confession for a whole six weeks after I needed to! (felt like I was starving) But the priest Our Lord finally sent just showed up at our retreat center out of the blue & heard my confession on the spot! That dear man became my spiritual director & guided me through some of the most difficult times of my life... I had gone through a real trial in faith in those weeks of trying to get to that confession, but Our Lord rewarded in abundance through that wait... So amazing how God works! rose

Posts 31 - 40 of 102