Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Feb 21st 2013 new
(Quote) Thomas-699657 said: Yes that clarifies and thanks for the clarification also. The reason it bothers me, is this example. My sister...
(Quote) Thomas-699657 said:

Yes that clarifies and thanks for the clarification also. The reason it bothers me, is this example. My sister and also my sister inlaw (my Brothers wife) and her mother, think you can go to mass and when we say the prayer at the beginning of mass. where we ask forgiveness for our sins for all we have done at not have done and to our brothers and sister. They think that is the same as going to a priest to forgive our sins and also they also think we are only required to go to mass and confession once a year. Also when I try and tell them, this is not so, I get told I don't know what i'm talking about. It just strikes me odd that so many people don't know these things and how did they come to believe this is true???

--hide--

Thomas, someone told them, but I never heard that at the beginning of Mass the confiteor we ask for forgiveness that it substituted for confession. I was also told you only need to go to confession once in your life and it better be good. Have they told you that one? It depends on their upbringing, and need to confess. We all have venial sins but how often do we as adults commit mortal sins.
Feb 21st 2013 new

(Quote) Jessica-897416 said: I am not sure about anyone else but I really wish that we could be blessed with priests today l...
(Quote) Jessica-897416 said:

I am not sure about anyone else but I really wish that we could be blessed with priests today like Padre Pio or St. John Vianney who stay in the confessional for hours at end to hear confessions and not a mere 30 minutes to an hour once a week before Saturday evening mass and priests that can read souls. I also don't get who some priests change the words to the absolution prayer. Comments...

--hide--

I am just happy I am not the only Catholic in America with thi opinion. I have often thought how great it would have been to go to confession with someone like Padre Pio. Just my thoughts on the subject.

Feb 21st 2013 new

(Quote) Mary-814080 said: Thomas, someone told them, but I never heard that at the beginning of Mass the confiteor we ask f...
(Quote) Mary-814080 said:

Thomas, someone told them, but I never heard that at the beginning of Mass the confiteor we ask for forgiveness that it substituted for confession. I was also told you only need to go to confession once in your life and it better be good. Have they told you that one? It depends on their upbringing, and need to confess. We all have venial sins but how often do we as adults commit mortal sins.
--hide--

I'm sorry you were told such wrong information Mary, but to be a Catholic in good standing we must go to confession at least once a year during the Lenten or Easter season... To be a good practicing Catholic most solid priests will advise going once a month even if there are no "mortal sins". The reason is when we take those venial sins or character imperfections to Our Lord, we receive tremendous grace to not only know ourselves better, but to actually make progress in over coming them. This slowly brings us that elusive peace & joy that we all crave. Some priests are also gifted in offering advice & direction...especially as he gets to know you...

I believe both John Paul II & Mother Theresa went to confession daily. (It may be weekly. I've heard both) When I thought about such holy people frequenting confession that often, it made me pause & think about my own life which doesn't even make the charts compared to theirs...

You are right in the fact that attending Mass reverently will erase venial sins. But there are such riches available to us in the confessional. It's like a hidden secret... rose rose rose

Feb 21st 2013 new

(Quote) Jim-13836 said: I am just happy I am not the only Catholic in America with thi opinion. I have...
(Quote) Jim-13836 said:

I am just happy I am not the only Catholic in America with thi opinion. I have often thought how great it would have been to go to confession with someone like Padre Pio. Just my thoughts on the subject.

--hide--

I agree Jim....

It's a scary thought though, to have one's soul laid so bare. But imagine the grace...!!! biggrin

Feb 21st 2013 new

(Quote) Debbie-514749 said: I'm sorry you were told such wrong information Mary, but to be a Catholic in good s...
(Quote) Debbie-514749 said:

I'm sorry you were told such wrong information Mary, but to be a Catholic in good standing we must go to confession at least once a year during the Lenten or Easter season... To be a good practicing Catholic most solid priests will advise going once a month even if there are no "mortal sins". The reason is when we take those venial sins or character imperfections to Our Lord, we receive tremendous grace to not only know ourselves better, but to actually make progress in over coming them. This slowly brings us that elusive peace & joy that we all crave. Some priests are also gifted in offering advice & direction...especially as he gets to know you...

I believe both John Paul II & Mother Theresa went to confession daily. (It may be weekly. I've heard both) When I thought about such holy people frequenting confession that often, it made me pause & think about my own life which doesn't even make the charts compared to theirs...

You are right in the fact that attending Mass reverently will erase venial sins. But there are such riches available to us in the confessional. It's like a hidden secret...

--hide--
Debbie, You see that it what I was wondering, how do so many catholics know the same faith in so many different ways. So many Catholics I know don't even know you can't receive the Eucharist if you have committed a mortal sin. Like missing Mass on Sunday???

Feb 21st 2013 new

(Quote) Debbie-514749 said: I agree Jim.... It's a scary thought though, to have one's soul laid so ...
(Quote) Debbie-514749 said:

I agree Jim....

It's a scary thought though, to have one's soul laid so bare. But imagine the grace...!!!

--hide--

Debbie,

That is not say I would have approached confession with a Padre Pio without some trepidation. I have read that there was one guy he kicked out of his confessional three separate times before finally hearing his confession.

Feb 21st 2013 new

(Quote) Thomas-699657 said: Debbie, You see that it what I was wondering, how do so many catholics know the same faith in so...

Debbie, You see that it what I was wondering, how do so many catholics know the same faith in so many different ways. So many Catholics I know don't even know you can't receive the Eucharist if you have committed a mortal sin. Like missing Mass on Sunday???

--hide--

It's not really the fault of the people... Unfortunately, during the period of confusion following Vatican Two there was a whole lot of faulty information being distributed. Also the social unrest of the times contributed so that many things that were not truly Catholic were being promoted, & things that are were being pushed to the background. A whole generation of people, and sadly, some priests were simply not taught all the truths.

The great news is that Jesus promised to stay with His Church till the end of time. We are living witnesses in seeing the slow return of tradition & reverence for the sacred. I have an advantage living here in Steubenville where the faith is very vibrant. But I have seen a resurgence in other areas of the country I've lived or known about as well. It may not make the headlines yet, but I assure you... Our beautiful faith is alive & growing in many areas of our country & the whole world.... IMHO rose rose rose

Feb 21st 2013 new

(Quote) Jim-13836 said: Debbie, That is not say I would have approached confession with a Padre Pio ...
(Quote) Jim-13836 said:

Debbie,

That is not say I would have approached confession with a Padre Pio without some trepidation. I have read that there was one guy he kicked out of his confessional three separate times before finally hearing his confession.

--hide--

laughing laughing laughing

Ya have to give the guy credit for perserverance though! I wonder if he finally got it right... biggrin

Feb 22nd 2013 new

(Quote) Mary-814080 said: We all have venial sins but how often do we as adults commit mortal sins.
(Quote) Mary-814080 said:

We all have venial sins but how often do we as adults commit mortal sins.
--hide--

There are more grave sins (those that are serious enough to be mortal sins when the subective criteria are met) than most people realize. I would be helpful to refer to a good guide for the examination of conscience.

www.fatima.org

Feb 22nd 2013 new
(Quote) Thomas-699657 said: I don't ge it, did I say they should not be treated with love??? I just thought the priest had a great tea...

I don't ge it, did I say they should not be treated with love??? I just thought the priest had a great teaching moment and wondered why he didn't take it. I said nothing about knowing whats in there souls???

--hide--
You are right. You didn't say those things or anything about those things. Here I am trying to have people consider kindness toward them and I came across as harsh to you. I'm sorry. It was a teaching moment but I think there is a weird balance that they are trying to walk. So, we certainly all need prayer don't we? I too need to take the plank out of my own eye
Posts 61 - 70 of 102