Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Feb 22nd 2013 new

(Quote) Loretta-678584 said: I remember when I was young and going to mass for either Easter or Christmas and the church was packed...
(Quote) Loretta-678584 said: I remember when I was young and going to mass for either Easter or Christmas and the church was packed.. I grumbled to my mother saying. Why don't these hypocrites just stay home? My Mother scolded me something fierce! She looked at me straight in the eye and told me to SHUT UP! She went on to say, WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE? I hope that nobody heard you! I want them to feel welcome everytime they come into the doors of this church. I want them to see God in me welcoming them with open arms. This year these people might only come once or twice, next year they might come for a funeral, or for a parents birthday, YOU DON'T KNOW THEIR SOULS! I never forgot that. She was right. Their souls are not mine to judge. Should they receive some education while there sure of course but they should feel love and an education that comes from love.
--hide--

Wonderful! I wish Ihad someof your mother's wisdomPraying

Feb 22nd 2013 new

(Quote) Thomas-699657 said: peter, Not everyone has a catechism and they were taught different and they don't get that d...
(Quote) Thomas-699657 said:

peter, Not everyone has a catechism and they were taught different and they don't get that deep about the faith. They just go to mass on Sunday if they can. That's about it for a lot of Catholics here in the USA. They sure are gown men and women, but were taught that way, on how they practice there faith, that it is fine. So they don't think they need to go any deeper with there faith. If the Shepherd leads the sheep into the desert they will follow no questions asked, will they not???

--hide--
But we aren't sheep, that's my point. We are created in His image with a intellect which is meant to be used.

Feb 22nd 2013 new
(Quote) John-842063 said: (Quote) Loretta-678584 said: I remember when I was young and going to mass for either Easter or ...
(Quote) John-842063 said:

Quote:
Loretta-678584 said: I remember when I was young and going to mass for either Easter or Christmas and the church was packed.. I grumbled to my mother saying. Why don't these hypocrites just stay home? My Mother scolded me something fierce! She looked at me straight in the eye and told me to SHUT UP! She went on to say, WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE? I hope that nobody heard you! I want them to feel welcome everytime they come into the doors of this church. I want them to see God in me welcoming them with open arms. This year these people might only come once or twice, next year they might come for a funeral, or for a parents birthday, YOU DON'T KNOW THEIR SOULS! I never forgot that. She was right. Their souls are not mine to judge. Should they receive some education while there sure of course but they should feel love and an education that comes from love.

Wonderful! I wish Ihad someof your mother's wisdom

--hide--
It might have been wise of her but it came across as harsher to Thomas than I intended.
Feb 22nd 2013 new

(Quote) Thomas-699657 said: I don't ge it, did I say they should not be treated with love??? I just thought the priest h...

I don't ge it, did I say they should not be treated with love??? I just thought the priest had a great teaching moment and wondered why he didn't take it. I said nothing about knowing whats in there souls???

--hide--

Next Easter, you deliver the homily. wink How's that? Happy now?

Feb 22nd 2013 new

(Quote) Thomas-699657 said: I don't ge it, did I say they should not be treated with love??? I just thought the priest h...

I don't ge it, did I say they should not be treated with love??? I just thought the priest had a great teaching moment and wondered why he didn't take it. I said nothing about knowing whats in there souls???

--hide--

Next Easter, you deliver the homily. wink How's that? Happy now?

Feb 22nd 2013 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: Next Easter, you d...
(Quote) David-364112 said:

Next Easter, you deliver the homily. How's that? Happy now?

--hide--
Why don't you, since you have all the answers. I guess wondering or asking about something that concerns you, has become a waste of time. I will pass on this thread, it's not worth my time.

Feb 22nd 2013 new

(Quote) Jan-672216 said: Tom - I'm very curious - which monastery is this? I live in the Sacramento ar...
(Quote) Jan-672216 said:

Tom - I'm very curious - which monastery is this? I live in the Sacramento area and am wondering - is this the Carmelite Monastery in Oakville that you are referring to, or another?

--hide--

Yes jan--the carmelite monastery in oakville. its a long drive even from fairfield--but im glad its there.

Feb 22nd 2013 new

(Quote) Thomas-699657 said: Why don't you, since you have all the answers. I guess won...

Why don't you, since you have all the answers. I guess wondering or asking about something that concerns you, has become a waste of time. I will pass on this thread, it's not worth my time.

--hide--

laughing what answers? i'm no even sure what the question is.

Feb 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: There are more grave sins (those that are serious enough to be mortal sins when the subec...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

There are more grave sins (those that are serious enough to be mortal sins when the subective criteria are met) than most people realize. I would be helpful to refer to a good guide for the examination of conscience.

www.fatima.org

--hide--

Thanks Jerry. That's an excellent tool for examining my conscience!

Feb 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Loretta-678584 said: You are right. You didn't say those things or anything about those things. Here I am trying to hav...
(Quote) Loretta-678584 said: You are right. You didn't say those things or anything about those things. Here I am trying to have people consider kindness toward them and I came across as harsh to you. I'm sorry. It was a teaching moment but I think there is a weird balance that they are trying to walk. So, we certainly all need prayer don't we? I too need to take the plank out of my own eye
--hide--
Loretta thanks for your reply I thought you were getting on me for my wondering. I'm not trying to judge the priest, I'm just concerned at how many Catholics don't know when they commit a moral sin. They don't go to confession and receive the Eucharist and think it's ok. I worry for them and if they don't understand why and don't think I'm telling them the truth. How will there eyes be opened to the truth??? If the priest never talks about what sin is and why you have to go to confession. How will they know, i know they are adults and should know, but what if they don't. I just wish the priest would let people know and why, once in a while. They never talk about it in my parish and most in my area, or people would know this. If a priest would educate some Catholics who don't know the faith, this would be a great thing for the Church. I think it would also get rid of most of the arguments betwwen Catholics.

Posts 71 - 80 of 102