Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

02/24/2013 new

(Quote) Jessica-897416 said: I am not sure about anyone else but I really wish that we could be blessed with priests today l...
(Quote) Jessica-897416 said:

I am not sure about anyone else but I really wish that we could be blessed with priests today like Padre Pio or St. John Vianney who stay in the confessional for hours at end to hear confessions and not a mere 30 minutes to an hour once a week before Saturday evening mass and priests that can read souls. I also don't get who some priests change the words to the absolution prayer. Comments...

--hide--

The sad thing is that not many are going to confession. And if they are, not as often as they should.

02/24/2013 new

(Quote) Tom-919560 said: This is an interesting thread. Like so much that is currently happening in the Church, there are di...
(Quote) Tom-919560 said:

This is an interesting thread. Like so much that is currently happening in the Church, there are different strains of thought on this subject. I'm not quite sure how to summarize the more recent strain, but it seems to indicate less focus on guilt and sin and more on getting right with God. In that process, some deviate from what the Church teaches in the Catechism, and some are led astray, including my former pastor.

For instance, he told one penitent that he didn't need to go to confession, he could simply confess directly to God, and that the Penitential Rite at the beginning of the Mass (Confiteor) absolved him of his sins, so he could receive Communion even though he did not get to Confession. He often argued with the fellow in Confession about the sins that he confessed--fornication, for instance--saying he needed "intimacy" since he was a divorced man. Then again, he's the same fellow who remarked during an RCIA class, "I have problems with the Church."

I think the newer strain of thought since '65 is a result of, and regretful for, the many Catholics who have left the Church due to the strictness of the teaching, and the guilt it has caused to some--guilt that might even caused suicides, etc. I don't know if anything I've said here is accurate, except the story that my friend related to me about his confession and the pastor's reply. As someone who knows the traditional teaching quite well, I have struggled to understand the subtle shift, if there has been one, since the Sacrament was re-named Reconciliation.

So, your comments on this are welcome.

--hide--

Sadly some priests feel that way. Mostly they're products of the late 60's-early 80's. I've had them tell me this as well. I listen politely, get my absolution, do my penance, and find another place to go to confession.

Better to focus on what we do wrong than what our priests do wrong. At least we have a chance of correcting our faults. The faults of others are something we can just pray for, asking God to bless and help the person, but not writing a prescription for how to go about helping and blessing that other person. God knows how to do it.

02/24/2013 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: Sadly some priests feel that way. Mostly they're ...
(Quote) David-364112 said:

Sadly some priests feel that way. Mostly they're products of the late 60's-early 80's. I've had them tell me this as well. I listen politely, get my absolution, do my penance, and find another place to go to confession.

Better to focus on what we do wrong than what our priests do wrong. At least we have a chance of correcting our faults. The faults of others are something we can just pray for, asking God to bless and help the person, but not writing a prescription for how to go about helping and blessing that other person. God knows how to do it.

--hide--
Yeah, I like your style. I don't think the priests need to be bashed. It's more apparent since the late-60's that the Church has had its hands full with more challenges to the Magisterium. Even though I stopped going to the parish, I still love that priest, though we're miles apart in our understanding of Jesus and the Church he left us.

02/25/2013 new

(Quote) Tom-919560 said: I went to a service just outside LA on Easter Sunday a few years back, and an older priest there in...
(Quote) Tom-919560 said:

I went to a service just outside LA on Easter Sunday a few years back, and an older priest there interrupted me before Mass because I was praying the Rosary, and kneeling next to a lady friend there who he evidently knew. He said, "Stop being so serious here and be more focused on each other."

Later during the Mass, he welcomed the many twice a year attendees and reminded them they only needed to attend Mass at Easter and Christmas, again accentuating the love of Christ over the ritual of the Mass.

I get confused, but in the end I know I need to read the Catechism and follow it.

--hide--

+

Tom it seems like people really have to search for a parish that is faithful to the Magisterial teachings of the Church - but it is well worth it - our salvation may be at stake! Is there a Traditional Latin Mass community in your area? The moral teaching is strong in these communities and you will most likely not be led astray - but led in the direction that will bring you to heaven.

03/06/2013 new

(Quote) Jessica-897416 said: I am not sure about anyone else but I really wish that we could be blessed with priests today l...
(Quote) Jessica-897416 said:

I am not sure about anyone else but I really wish that we could be blessed with priests today like Padre Pio or St. John Vianney who stay in the confessional for hours at end to hear confessions and not a mere 30 minutes to an hour once a week before Saturday evening mass and priests that can read souls. I also don't get who some priests change the words to the absolution prayer. Comments...

--hide--

They do this at my parish--Dominicans of St. Joseph province, whee!--there is confession every day, except civic holidays and Easter/Christmas. They stay in the confessional until every person is heard, and they give advice. We have some great confessors. On Holy Thursday and Good Friday, they bring in extra priests and hear confessions for HOURS. They are rock stars. People come from all over the city because they know they'll get to go to confession.

03/06/2013 new

Oh, AND we have lots of people who go. I mean, LOTS. The line post Mass is usually about 20 long on weekdays!

03/17/2013 new

(Quote) Emily-647155 said:They do this at my parish
(Quote) Emily-647155 said:
They do this at my parish
--hide--

I sometimes wonder which parish is mine
our local Bishop said your parish is defined by where your home is
of course we should contibute our talent there
But I am generally elsewhere and try to go to a closer church

03/18/2013 new

(Quote) John-842063 said: I sometimes wonder which parish is mineour local Bishop said your parish is defined by whe...
(Quote) John-842063 said:

I sometimes wonder which parish is mine
our local Bishop said your parish is defined by where your home is
of course we should contibute our talent there
But I am generally elsewhere and try to go to a closer church

--hide--

At the same time, with so many problems still existing too many of which border on heresy, we are also told to shop for a parish if our local one does not meet our needs.

Of course, we have always had that right. But to be encouraged to use that right is truly an indication of the depth of the problems.

03/18/2013 new

(Quote) Mary-814080 said: David, I think someone wanted you to learn patience and in so doing gave you a greater experience...
(Quote) Mary-814080 said:

David, I think someone wanted you to learn patience and in so doing gave you a greater experience as you said to be open to the healing graces we receive in confession.

In this year of Faith, the archdiocese I live in is having confessions every Monday night from 6-7 during this Lenten season? Are there other diocese doing the same, offering confessions extra days?
--hide--

My church regularly offers confession every Tuesday and Saturday throughout the year. During Lent many priests come one day, and the Church is packed with people.

03/18/2013 new

(Quote) Joseph-903200 said: I'm not sure if there is enough demand for confession to support a priest spending hours in ...
(Quote) Joseph-903200 said:

I'm not sure if there is enough demand for confession to support a priest spending hours in a confessional. This would take them from other duties and many are overworked as it is.

The idea of sin and being sinner is not in vogue these days if it was there would be more demand for confession.

Sometimes when I go to confession I'm not always asked to say an Act of Contrition. And sometimes my penance at one parish is to just sit in the church for a while and reflect.

--hide--

A Confession without the Act of Contrition has not been properly performed.

If you are not asked, ask the priest to allow you or at least say it quietly.

The resolve to not commit sin again, is a necessary requisite for absolution.

Posts 91 - 100 of 102