Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Mar 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Tom-54311 said: (Quote) Candace-587406 said: Isn't life too short to be angry? You can s...
(Quote) Tom-54311 said:

Quote:
Candace-587406 said:

Isn't life too short to be angry? You can seriously cause stress on your internal organs. I say offer any intentions you have to the Lord. There is no point in being weighed down by grief and turmoil.

Yes, Candace, I agree. But sometimes life puts you in a situation where anger is necessary. Maybe this is just a male vs female thing.

--hide--
No, it is a well-formed Christian conscience thing....not everyone is here yet...to understand justifiable anger the kind Jesus had in the temple vs. the other kind of anger and to work towards defeating evil as we are commanded.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." (forget who said it) We are where we are because we left liberals without that conscience get us here while we did "nothing", I'm afraid.

Mar 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: (Quote) Cheryl-409772 said: I'm suprised that I haven't seen any top...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

Quote:
Cheryl-409772 said:

I'm suprised that I haven't seen any topics on this thus far. It is funny how Obama is using this now to make himself look better to the uneducated because surely he knows better. Raise minimum wage and it causes inflation and job loss. Raise minimum wage and with inflation and the higher cost for everything, it is the equivalent of never getting a pay increase for that person while for everyone else it just means higher prices.

No simple answer -- no easy fix. But it's difficult to see no pay increases at the lower end of the economic spectrum, yet CEO's compensation has advanced immensely overall, even if the companies they oversee lose money or are nearly bankrupt.

Is the practice of social justice lost?

--hide--
Thanks Ray for participating in the topic. Unfortunately so has congresses. Note that right after the last election they were talking pay raise again....but hey lets talk about that 16 trillion debt.

Mar 1st 2013 new

No, it is a well-formed Christian conscience thing....not everyone is here yet...to understand justifiable anger the kind Jesus had in the temple vs. the other kind of anger and to work towards defeating evil as we are commanded.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." (forget who said it) We are where we are because we left liberals without that conscience get us here while we did "nothing", I'm afraid.

However, I do agree with you that part of that "doing" is to offer up intentions to God about the evil in this world. I think we are also called to continue voting as per Church teaching to fight evil and to do whatever else we can whether that be writing factual information to educate people, letters, marching in prolife and freedom of religion rallies, etc....

Mar 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said: And yet here you are on my thread without one ounce of anything to add to the fact that ...
(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said:

And yet here you are on my thread without one ounce of anything to add to the fact that Obama is again hurting our country. Have you noticed gas is up to $4! For someone like me who needs to drive 30 miles to work, this is another undue stress on my poor middle class wages.

This is your typical tactic. Your M.O. You enter into a thread about Obama, accuses people of unfounded imaginary things....as a tactic to get off topic so the focus is not Obama, but someone else! In your accusations, you are the one, in fact doing exactly what you are accusing the other person of doing...name-calling. Paul, nor anyone on the thread is being uncivil. We see straight through your semantics game...like that of a lawyer who doesn't have a real case to prosecute.

We fully understand your personal investment in Obama...to the extent that you even went door-to-door to promote him before the election and to promote the abortion health care plan that we Christians now have to pay for.

And we have a personal investment to stop this man. If you don't like the name, Obummer, don't read our threads because indeed this is a spiritual battle. I sometimes believe you read these threads to find people who might agree with you to ease your conscience.

--hide--
Cheryl -- watch your blood pressure..... wink

If you complain about gasoline prices, and want to know why (don't we all????), we should find out of the rank & file workers have recently received raises, or is the supply being manipulated by those at the top of the food chain? We have to be careful whom to blame.

As for Obama, I'm not a fan of his, but still have respect for the office. To his credit, his campaign staff was more effective than that of the opposition. He is in office now, and we can only hope for a major change when his term is completed. For the record, I'm not enthusiastic about either major political party right now. It seems our elected representatives work harder to ensure their re-election than working together to solve our country's problems. They need to work and play well together to accomplish anything worthwhile. For now, it just ain't happening.

Mar 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said: "The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." ...

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."

--hide--

It looks like Boehner didn't cave this time....at least that's something!!

Mar 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Tom-54311 said: (Quote) Cheryl-409772 said: "The only thing necessary for evil t...
(Quote) Tom-54311 said:

Quote:
Cheryl-409772 said:

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."

It looks like Boehner didn't cave this time....at least that's something!!

--hide--
...we'll see....

Mar 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said: No, it is a well-formed Christian conscience thing....not everyone is here yet...to understand j...

However, I do agree with you that part of that "doing" is to offer up intentions to God about the evil in this world. I think we are also called to continue voting as per Church teaching to fight evil and to do whatever else we can whether that be writing factual information to educate people, letters, marching in prolife and freedom of religion rallies, etc....

--hide--
Cheryl -- your quote about "good men to do nothing" is one of my favorites, even though I don't know who deserves credit for first saying it. It's a major reason we have a mess -- globally. We're finding it to be an uphill battle to regain lost ground, but that doesn't mean we should just roll over or surrender.

Someone came up with a response when asked if he stood for liberal positions or conservative. He said, "Neither -- I take the Catholic position." (paraphrased) We need our voices to be heard -- which is impossible unless we speak up and speak out.

Mar 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: (Quote) Cheryl-409772 said: And yet here you are on my thread withou...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

Quote:
Cheryl-409772 said:

And yet here you are on my thread without one ounce of anything to add to the fact that Obama is again hurting our country. Have you noticed gas is up to $4! For someone like me who needs to drive 30 miles to work, this is another undue stress on my poor middle class wages.

This is your typical tactic. Your M.O. You enter into a thread about Obama, accuses people of unfounded imaginary things....as a tactic to get off topic so the focus is not Obama, but someone else! In your accusations, you are the one, in fact doing exactly what you are accusing the other person of doing...name-calling. Paul, nor anyone on the thread is being uncivil. We see straight through your semantics game...like that of a lawyer who doesn't have a real case to prosecute.

We fully understand your personal investment in Obama...to the extent that you even went door-to-door to promote him before the election and to promote the abortion health care plan that we Christians now have to pay for.

And we have a personal investment to stop this man. If you don't like the name, Obummer, don't read our threads because indeed this is a spiritual battle. I sometimes believe you read these threads to find people who might agree with you to ease your conscience.

Cheryl -- watch your blood pressure.....

If you complain about gasoline prices, and want to know why (don't we all????), we should find out of the rank & file workers have recently received raises, or is the supply being manipulated by those at the top of the food chain? We have to be careful whom to blame.

As for Obama, I'm not a fan of his, but still have respect for the office. To his credit, his campaign staff was more effective than that of the opposition. He is in office now, and we can only hope for a major change when his term is completed. For the record, I'm not enthusiastic about either major political party right now. It seems our elected representatives work harder to ensure their re-election than working together to solve our country's problems. They need to work and play well together to accomplish anything worthwhile. For now, it just ain't happening.

--hide--
What I know for sure is that when it went up one dollar the media was all over it blaming bush...bumper stickers all over the place saying it is the "economy stupid" etc. Obama said he wanted to see it at $8...WANTED to see it...and there is quite a bit he could do as Palin explained to make those prices go down! My blood pressure is great by the way....praise be to God.

Mar 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: (Quote) Cheryl-409772 said: No, it is a well-formed Christian conscience thi...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

Quote:
Cheryl-409772 said:

Cheryl -- your quote about "good men to do nothing" is one of my favorites, even though I don't know who deserves credit for first saying it. It's a major reason we have a mess -- globally. We're finding it to be an uphill battle to regain lost ground, but that doesn't mean we should just roll over or surrender.

Someone came up with a response when asked if he stood for liberal positions or conservative. He said, "Neither -- I take the Catholic position." (paraphrased) We need our voices to be heard -- which is impossible unless we speak up and speak out.

--hide--
EXACTLY

Mar 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: Cheryl -- watch your blood pressure..... If you complain about gasoline prices, and want to ...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

Cheryl -- watch your blood pressure.....

--hide--
Hi Ray, is there a Church teaching on the morality of compromising with, condoning, enabling, or playing nice with what the Church teaches in intrinsic evil ?

In re gas prices and oil prices, it is worth a look at what those were in the months after GWB removed the ban on Gulf drilling in July 2008.

Posts 121 - 130 of 139