Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

02/24/2013 new

the minimum wage is ridiculously low and maybe should at least be tied to raise with inflation. Maybe we could have a minimum wage for teenagers and another for adults. Maybe state should set the minimum wages since the cost of living is differnent it different parts of the country. Also companies already are getting over by have all these no-payed interns. I don't know I hate to have the Federallies involved in anything but paying $7.25hr for most any job I can think of is bordering on evil. I have never worked for minimum wage but it it would not do much more then pay for your gas and food and maybe utilities.

02/24/2013 new

I also feel minimum wage needs to be raised.

02/24/2013 new

(Quote) Shara-929649 said: And they claim that religion is the opiate of the masses.
(Quote) Shara-929649 said:

And they claim that religion is the opiate of the masses.

--hide--

Which was an ironic statement from a man who idolized the state, and made Communism the worship and deifiication of the state. It was, of course, meant as an anti-Christian statement, though Communists themselves have to acknowlege that thier system borrows, in a materialistic sense, from our eschatology (study of the last things), particularly the millenial view of history.

02/24/2013 new
(Quote) Fredrick-483665 said: the minimum wage is ridiculously low and maybe should at least be tied to raise with inflation. Maybe w...
(Quote) Fredrick-483665 said:

the minimum wage is ridiculously low and maybe should at least be tied to raise with inflation. Maybe we could have a minimum wage for teenagers and another for adults. Maybe state should set the minimum wages since the cost of living is differnent it different parts of the country. Also companies already are getting over by have all these no-payed interns. I don't know I hate to have the Federallies involved in anything but paying $7.25hr for most any job I can think of is bordering on evil. I have never worked for minimum wage but it it would not do much more then pay for your gas and food and maybe utilities.

--hide--
02/24/2013 new

(Quote) Fredrick-483665 said: the minimum wage is ridiculously low and maybe should at least be tied to raise with infla...

--hide--

Companies are going to make their profit or there is no point to what they are doing. Thus, if they have to pay more, they raise prices, thus inflation...thus it hardly pays to have one's wage raised nor does it pay for everyone else. It really doesn't pay when those companies fire people and there are less jobs, which is what happened last time it was raised. All of this is basic economics.

02/24/2013 new

(Quote) William-675153 said: I also feel minimum wage needs to be raised.
(Quote) William-675153 said:

I also feel minimum wage needs to be raised.

--hide--
Then I recommend you go back and read the posts.

02/24/2013 new

(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said: Companies are going to make their profit or there is no point to what they are doing. Th...
(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said:

Companies are going to make their profit or there is no point to what they are doing. Thus, if they have to pay more, they raise prices, thus inflation...thus it hardly pays to have one's wage raised nor does it pay for everyone else. It really doesn't pay when those companies fire people and there are less jobs, which is what happened last time it was raised. All of this is basic economics.

--hide--
People who don't make money don't spend money. If low wage people got more money they would spend it. Remember Ford said he wanted to pay his employees enough to by his cars. People who have a good job will not stop going to McDonald's because they have to pay alittle more for the food due to workers making alittle more money. Also if people are poor they get food stamps so we end up paying for them anyway and companies get the profits and we pay to help their employees make ends meet. Our economy is a big swindle perpetrated by the fat cats who run it to their advantage.

02/24/2013 new

(Quote) Fredrick-483665 said: People who don't make money don't spend money. If low wage people got more money they ...

People who don't make money don't spend money. If low wage people got more money they would spend it. Remember Ford said he wanted to pay his employees enough to by his cars. People who have a good job will not stop going to McDonald's because they have to pay alittle more for the food due to workers making alittle more money. Also if people are poor they get food stamps so we end up paying for them anyway and companies get the profits and we pay to help their employees make ends meet. Our economy is a big swindle perpetrated by the fat cats who run it to their advantage.

--hide--
Wow...uh, no, no, no.

First off....people who are getting govt. help will NOt take these jobs because they make more on govt. help and it will make them lose it. Most of these jobs are stepping stones for teens or part-time jobs for spouses. People who work at these jobs do spend what little money they make when they can afford the product....have you ever had a child....they don't save. The middle class people who are already the ones the worst hit....like myself will not eat out when prices go up....as it is, I can barely afford the biggest middle class tax....GAS. The high gas prices hit the middle class the worst as we need to drive to our jobs and drive our kids to wherever they need to go. The rich can afford those prices. The poor don't drive. However, the middle class spends all their money on gas just to get to work and have to drive but can't afford it. No inflation is not good for anyone.

02/24/2013 new

(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said: Wow...uh, no, no, no.First off....people who are getting govt. help will NOt take these ...
(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said:

Wow...uh, no, no, no.

First off....people who are getting govt. help will NOt take these jobs because they make more on govt. help and it will make them lose it. Most of these jobs are stepping stones for teens or part-time jobs for spouses. People who work at these jobs do spend what little money they make when they can afford the product....have you ever had a child....they don't save. The middle class people who are already the ones the worst hit....like myself will not eat out when prices go up....as it is, I can barely afford the biggest middle class tax....GAS. The high gas prices hit the middle class the worst as we need to drive to our jobs and drive our kids to wherever they need to go. The rich can afford those prices. The poor don't drive. However, the middle class spends all their money on gas just to get to work and have to drive but can't afford it. No inflation is not good for anyone.

--hide--
You appear not to have read everything I wrote. I said we might want to have a minimum wage for teens. also people on minimum wage often get foods stamp that I have to pay for so why should some fat cat dump that cost on me. Whether I pay more for food or more for taxes I still pay. At least if the prices go up a little at McDonald's I have a choice I have no choice if I am taxed. Also as I stated before $7.25 is immoral. If your company is so poorly run that you can only pay slave wages maybe you should just go out of business.

02/24/2013 new

(Quote) Fredrick-483665 said: You appear not to have read everything I wrote. I said we might want to have a minimum wage fo...

You appear not to have read everything I wrote. I said we might want to have a minimum wage for teens. also people on minimum wage often get foods stamp that I have to pay for so why should some fat cat dump that cost on me. Whether I pay more for food or more for taxes I still pay. At least if the prices go up a little at McDonald's I have a choice I have no choice if I am taxed. Also as I stated before $7.25 is immoral. If your company is so poorly run that you can only pay slave wages maybe you should just go out of business.

--hide--
Wow, wow, wow again....morality is not assigned to a minimum wage...some single-person-run small businesses at least provide a job for a teen which is more moral and good for the economy, etc. and now may not be able to do so. I've heard stories where they will just double up on the work themselves....thus, less jobs. You will still be paying increased taxes for food stamps...again, the very poor don't risk losing their govt. assistance for these minimum wage jobs. You will also be paying more for food and everything else now. The thing is these jobs are not permanent for the most part. I worked quite a few minimum wage jobs when I was a young adult.

Posts 21 - 30 of 139