Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Feb 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Fredrick-483665 said: People who don't make money don't spend money. If low wage people got more money they ...
(Quote) Fredrick-483665 said:

People who don't make money don't spend money. If low wage people got more money they would spend it. Remember Ford said he wanted to pay his employees enough to by his cars. People who have a good job will not stop going to McDonald's because they have to pay alittle more for the food due to workers making alittle more money. Also if people are poor they get food stamps so we end up paying for them anyway and companies get the profits and we pay to help their employees make ends meet. Our economy is a big swindle perpetrated by the fat cats who run it to their advantage.

--hide--

Do you realize that increased spending is directly tied to inflation? The increased minimum wage only provides the semblance of an increased standard of living as the inflation it causes reduces the buying power to what it was pre-raise. This then adversely affects the buying power for all and so the poor ( the masses) keep the same standard of living but are lulled into thinking that they are in a better place and the middle class is now paying more and enjoying a decreased standard of living. How is that course of action helpful? boggled

Basic economics and ever so frustrating as I hate to see under-educated people basically opiated into blindly believing what the media and the government wants them to believe. Smoke and mirrors essentially. The semblance of doing good without any good actually being done. boggled

Feb 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Shara-929649 said: Do you realize that increased spending is directly tied to inflation? The increased mini...
(Quote) Shara-929649 said:

Do you realize that increased spending is directly tied to inflation? The increased minimum wage only provides the semblance of an increased standard of living as the inflation it causes reduces the buying power to what it was pre-raise. This then adversely affects the buying power for all and so the poor ( the masses) keep the same standard of living but are lulled into thinking that they are in a better place and the middle class is now paying more and enjoying a decreased standard of living. How is that course of action helpful?

Basic economics and ever so frustrating as I hate to see under-educated people basically opiated into blindly believing what the media and the government wants them to believe. Smoke and mirrors essentially. The semblance of doing good without any good actually being done.

--hide--
The problem with economic theory is that it is just a theory. So I am sorry but I don't think anyone can really make some prediction of what will happen if the Minimum wage is raised no matter how much they might think they are educated. However, if that logic is true lets lower the minimum wage to $2hr and that will provide all kinds of jobs. To me it is more a question of justice then anything else. So how about slavery or serfdom again?

Feb 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said: Wow, wow, wow again....morality is not assigned to a minimum wage...some single-person-run small...
(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said:

Wow, wow, wow again....morality is not assigned to a minimum wage...some single-person-run small businesses at least provide a job for a teen which is more moral and good for the economy, etc. and now may not be able to do so. I've heard stories where they will just double up on the work themselves....thus, less jobs. You will still be paying increased taxes for food stamps...again, the very poor don't risk losing their govt. assistance for these minimum wage jobs. You will also be paying more for food and everything else now. The thing is these jobs are not permanent for the most part. I worked quite a few minimum wage jobs when I was a young adult.

--hide--
Why is it not immoral to pay someone less than anyone reasonably should pay someone for their work? What if they are paid $2 or $3 an hour?
How about serfdom it was a nice stable economic system. Slavery too was quite nice, that is as long as you were not the slave.

Feb 25th 2013 new

(Quote) Fredrick-483665 said: Why is it not immoral to pay someone less than anyone reasonably should pay someone for their ...

Why is it not immoral to pay someone less than anyone reasonably should pay someone for their work? What if they are paid $2 or $3 an hour?
How about serfdom it was a nice stable economic system. Slavery too was quite nice, that is as long as you were not the slave.

--hide--
We don't live in the days of serfdom....people don't get paid 3 dollars an hour and if they did, they could leave the job and find another one. Well, maybe preteen babysitters still get paid that but again....choice exist. At any rate, still illogical arguments against the fact that it causes inflation and job loss and should be dictated by the state not the feds.

Feb 25th 2013 new

(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said: We don't live in the days of serfdom....people don't get paid 3 dollars an hour and if t...
(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said:

We don't live in the days of serfdom....people don't get paid 3 dollars an hour and if they did, they could leave the job and find another one. Well, maybe preteen babysitters still get paid that but again....choice exist. At any rate, still illogical arguments against the fact that it causes inflation and job loss and should be dictated by the state not the feds.

--hide--
You missed the point. If the a lower minimum wage would help the economey as you think it would then why not lower it to $3 hr. Or better yet why don't you take a cut in pay so my inflation rate won't go up.

Feb 25th 2013 new

(Quote) Fredrick-483665 said: (Quote) Shara-929649 said: Do you realize that increased spend...

Quote:
Shara-929649 said:

Do you realize that increased spending is directly tied to inflation? The increased minimum wage only provides the semblance of an increased standard of living as the inflation it causes reduces the buying power to what it was pre-raise. This then adversely affects the buying power for all and so the poor ( the masses) keep the same standard of living but are lulled into thinking that they are in a better place and the middle class is now paying more and enjoying a decreased standard of living. How is that course of action helpful?

Basic economics and ever so frustrating as I hate to see under-educated people basically opiated into blindly believing what the media and the government wants them to believe. Smoke and mirrors essentially. The semblance of doing good without any good actually being done.

The problem with economic theory is that it is just a theory. So I am sorry but I don't think anyone can really make some prediction of what will happen if the Minimum wage is raised no matter how much they might think they are educated. However, if that logic is true lets lower the minimum wage to $2hr and that will provide all kinds of jobs. To me it is more a question of justice then anything else. So how about slavery or serfdom again?

--hide--

Fredrick, I think the point your missing here is that regardless of what the actual wage is it will always be too low for some people. If 7.25/hr is too low now then making it 12.25/hr tomorrow will help people in the short term, but over the next few years 12.25/hr will be the same as 7.25 and all you will have done is help a few people in this short term, but you will have hurt everyone in the long time by devaluing their savings while at the same time raising the cost of goods and services.

Feb 25th 2013 new

Raising the minimum wage will act as an economic stimulus, as the lowest wage earners are much more likely to spend the additional money on goods and services which they would not have otherwise been able to afford. There is also an argument to be made that it can reduce the turnover associated with some of these lower wage jobs. Arguments that raising the minimum wage leads to inflation and job loss are not credible, but are definitely widely circulated by the conservative press corps - along with a lot of other false claims.

Feb 25th 2013 new

After high school I was making $1.00 per hr. A loaf of bread was .05 My 66 Malibu was $2700.00 Today a Malibu is about $23,000. Technology has added luxury to the cars, but the cost of technology is miniscule.
In addition to the increase in minimum wage there is the FICA Tax which you only pay 1/2, Obamacare will add another $3-4000 per year. The employees will start dropping like fly's because it will drive many that are "Just making it" as employers to throw in the towel. The end result will be that the poor will be poorer and have to have assistance, All the plan of Obama to make the USA a 3rd world country.
Which would you rather be an employee with a job with a chance for advancement or sitting in the welfare lines while people like Obama are sitting there laughing all the way to the bank with thier $72,000 a month from the OIL Companies in addition to his presidential salary. BTW Obama is $5,000,000 richer now than he was when he entered the white house. He wouldn't even help out his brother when his niece needed an operation.

The debe reduction plan about to kick in because the congress and senate can't make a balanced budget with the president, like every american family has to. The biggest cause of inflation and people out of work is because Gov't. can't keep its fingers out of our pockets. The Dems promise everything while trying to take away our rights. If people don't wake up and see the truth in what is happening they will succeed. And then you won't even have the opportunity to own your own house

MY two cents

Steve wave

Feb 25th 2013 new

(Quote) Joshua-915636 said: Raising the minimum wage will act as an economic stimulus, as the lowest wage earners are much m...
(Quote) Joshua-915636 said:

Raising the minimum wage will act as an economic stimulus, as the lowest wage earners are much more likely to spend the additional money on goods and services which they would not have otherwise been able to afford. There is also an argument to be made that it can reduce the turnover associated with some of these lower wage jobs. Arguments that raising the minimum wage leads to inflation and job loss are not credible, but are definitely widely circulated by the conservative press corps - along with a lot of other false claims.

--hide--

The only problem is that your last sentence has no basis in fact or reality as much as you would like to think it is some kind of right wing plot.

By the way, where is the right wing press corps?

Not in any of the 50 United States. All major media in the US is even more left wing than Obummer.

Feb 26th 2013 new

(Quote) Fredrick-483665 said: You missed the point. If the a lower minimum wage would help the economey as you think it woul...

You missed the point. If the a lower minimum wage would help the economey as you think it would then why not lower it to $3 hr. Or better yet why don't you take a cut in pay so my inflation rate won't go up.

--hide--
Well, then there you go....I already do make way less than my peers. My job is not union and only an 18 month grant contract. I'm surviving some how though. Lowering it now would be a little too late don't you think since inflation has already happened based on the last time it was raised and other factors, but hey lets just keep doing it. Again, these jobs are stepping stones to other jobs for most people since the very poor won't do them as it would take away from their govt. welfare. I had these jobs myself when I was youngn...Hardees, Dunkin Donuts, AMES, etc... so I know.

Posts 31 - 40 of 139