Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Feb 26th 2013 new

(Quote) Joshua-915636 said: Raising the minimum wage will act as an economic stimulus, as the lowest wage earners are much m...
(Quote) Joshua-915636 said:

Raising the minimum wage will act as an economic stimulus, as the lowest wage earners are much more likely to spend the additional money on goods and services which they would not have otherwise been able to afford. There is also an argument to be made that it can reduce the turnover associated with some of these lower wage jobs. Arguments that raising the minimum wage leads to inflation and job loss are not credible, but are definitely widely circulated by the conservative press corps - along with a lot of other false claims.

--hide--
Wrong.....you need to read the other posts. Indeed, a little bit of knowledge regarding history wouldn't hurt you either. Look at the cost of food twenty years ago compared to today. How is it going to help anyone when businesses raise prices to meet the new cost of all the pay raises....do you really think it is some propaganda....please learn about economics before you spread such garbage....anyone logical knows that business are going to make their profit and will raise prices to do so....how will those minimum wage increases help if prices increase yet again. Unemployment increased after the last minimum wage raise too....history....a good thing to know.

Feb 26th 2013 new

(Quote) Justin-32820 said: Fredrick, I think the point your missing here is that regardless of what the actual ...
(Quote) Justin-32820 said:

Fredrick, I think the point your missing here is that regardless of what the actual wage is it will always be too low for some people. If 7.25/hr is too low now then making it 12.25/hr tomorrow will help people in the short term, but over the next few years 12.25/hr will be the same as 7.25 and all you will have done is help a few people in this short term, but you will have hurt everyone in the long time by devaluing their savings while at the same time raising the cost of goods and services.

--hide--
So logical...might not work...he is missing a lot of points including that lowering it to $3.00 now after inflation is a little too late rather than preventing any more inflation.

Feb 26th 2013 new

(Quote) Steve-72317 said: After high school I was making $1.00 per hr. A loaf of bread was .05 My 66 Malibu was $2700.00 Tod...
(Quote) Steve-72317 said:

After high school I was making $1.00 per hr. A loaf of bread was .05 My 66 Malibu was $2700.00 Today a Malibu is about $23,000. Technology has added luxury to the cars, but the cost of technology is miniscule.
In addition to the increase in minimum wage there is the FICA Tax which you only pay 1/2, Obamacare will add another $3-4000 per year. The employees will start dropping like fly's because it will drive many that are "Just making it" as employers to throw in the towel. The end result will be that the poor will be poorer and have to have assistance, All the plan of Obama to make the USA a 3rd world country.
Which would you rather be an employee with a job with a chance for advancement or sitting in the welfare lines while people like Obama are sitting there laughing all the way to the bank with thier $72,000 a month from the OIL Companies in addition to his presidential salary. BTW Obama is $5,000,000 richer now than he was when he entered the white house. He wouldn't even help out his brother when his niece needed an operation.

The debe reduction plan about to kick in because the congress and senate can't make a balanced budget with the president, like every american family has to. The biggest cause of inflation and people out of work is because Gov't. can't keep its fingers out of our pockets. The Dems promise everything while trying to take away our rights. If people don't wake up and see the truth in what is happening they will succeed. And then you won't even have the opportunity to own your own house

MY

Steve

--hide--
No kidding...it is just another ploy to make their party look better in the eyes of the uneducated....and hurt everyone else in the process.

Feb 26th 2013 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: The only problem is that your last sentence has no basis in fact or reality as much as yo...
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

The only problem is that your last sentence has no basis in fact or reality as much as you would like to think it is some kind of right wing plot.

By the way, where is the right wing press corps?

Not in any of the 50 United States. All major media in the US is even more left wing than Obummer.

--hide--
laughing laughing laughing laughing

Well, the liberals would say FOX, but really, what I noticed is that they just would tell the news that all the other stations won't even tell. It really ticks me off that we don't hear news that we should be hearing on the mainstream media. I watched them all back when I had time just to see....the lack of reporting on Benghazi was the worst in their attempts to try and get Obama re-elected...heck even during the debate, the moderator lied regarding his statements.....just so sad. The culture change has also changed every aspect of our lives including hearing the truth on news.

Feb 26th 2013 new

(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said: So logical...might not work...he is missing a lot of points including that lowering it to $3.00 ...
(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said:

So logical...might not work...he is missing a lot of points including that lowering it to $3.00 now after inflation is a little too late rather than preventing any more inflation.

--hide--
Why not have you ever heard of deflation. We can cut everyone's pay and prices will have to go down. How about this we can start by cutting the pay of theses big CEO's who seem to run banks and companies into the ground yet make millions. They seem only to have talent at making money for themselves.

Feb 26th 2013 new

It also causes the influx of illegal aliens as people won't be able to afford to hire Americans.

The minimum wage should have been exposed previously as the Jim Crow law it is. Originally it was instituted in the south when they were hiring untrained minorities for less than experienced whites. If you had to pay the same amount for inexperienced minorities as you would for experienced whites, why hire the minorities?

With the illegal use of illegal aliens it also now falls on minorities as they would of normally gotten those unskilled jobs. This will cause higher unemployment rates in minority groups. In fact, unemployment among blacks is almost double that of whites.

Feb 26th 2013 new

(Quote) Fredrick-483665 said: Why not have you ever heard of deflation. We can cut everyone's pay and prices will have t...
(Quote) Fredrick-483665 said:

Why not have you ever heard of deflation. We can cut everyone's pay and prices will have to go down. How about this we can start by cutting the pay of theses big CEO's who seem to run banks and companies into the ground yet make millions. They seem only to have talent at making money for themselves.

--hide--

It's too late for that, the problem is the way the Fed Reserve is printing money like there is no tomorrow.The more they print the less our dollar is worth in the world. When other countries come to redeem US dollars for gold or silver there will be none left to back up the Fed Reserve Notes that have been printed. What happens in this country will have little effect on the value of the dollar in the world economy. You will need a wheelbarrow full of money just to buy that loaf of bread that cost$.05 in the 1950's with unchecked printing of money.

Steve wave

Feb 26th 2013 new

(Quote) Steve-72317 said: It's too late for that, the problem is the way the Fed Reserve is printing money like ther...
(Quote) Steve-72317 said:

It's too late for that, the problem is the way the Fed Reserve is printing money like there is no tomorrow.The more they print the less our dollar is worth in the world. When other countries come to redeem US dollars for gold or silver there will be none left to back up the Fed Reserve Notes that have been printed. What happens in this country will have little effect on the value of the dollar in the world economy. You will need a wheelbarrow full of money just to buy that loaf of bread that cost$.05 in the 1950's with unchecked printing of money.

Steve

--hide--
I am with you on this Steve. My reply was to Cheryl who does not want to raise the minimum wage because it will cause inflation.

Feb 26th 2013 new

(Quote) Bernie-350671 said: It also causes the influx of illegal aliens as people won't be able to afford to hire Americ...
(Quote) Bernie-350671 said:

It also causes the influx of illegal aliens as people won't be able to afford to hire Americans.

The minimum wage should have been exposed previously as the Jim Crow law it is. Originally it was instituted in the south when they were hiring untrained minorities for less than experienced whites. If you had to pay the same amount for inexperienced minorities as you would for experienced whites, why hire the minorities?

With the illegal use of illegal aliens it also now falls on minorities as they would of normally gotten those unskilled jobs. This will cause higher unemployment rates in minority groups. In fact, unemployment among blacks is almost double that of whites.

--hide--
...part of the problem there too is that they have been made so dependent on welfare that they don't pursue those jobs any longer. It is really hard to get the kids to work in school now-a-days too. I had one tell me that he was going on welfare when he grew up....such an aspiration.

Feb 26th 2013 new

(Quote) Fredrick-483665 said: Why not have you ever heard of deflation. We can cut everyone's pay and prices will have t...
(Quote) Fredrick-483665 said:

--hide--
glad someone in this thread finally mentioned the CEO's ( and lets throw in the stockholders). I agree that raising min wage = increase in inflation. The real reason... these guys are NOT gonna take less than the millions they have become accustomed to. I also agree that an increase would hurt the (few that we hsve left) small business es. Yet I would wage ( no real info here on this) that small businesses generally pay people more anyway. I imagine if you actually know your boss and he knows you, its probably harder to not pay a person what they are worth. That would be an interesting statistic. Anyone?

No....I feel we need to target the biggies....like W mart and big oil. They keep workers at 36 hours so they don't have to pay insurance. Yet big oil, as I have previously stated, showed its biggest profit EVER last year. Not right.

Another interesting side... the NY Times had an article about personality types of CEOS and it was determined that many (most?) are psychopathic. Mea ing they really just can't empathize with " us". True?

Posts 41 - 50 of 139