Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

02/27/2013 new
That is a nice outlook. I think I feel connected on this site at least. I get very lonely just to have male companionship.
02/28/2013 new

(Quote) Jim-50634 said: Wow....I thought my number was low...
(Quote) Jim-50634 said:

Wow....I thought my number was low...

--hide--

I've got you beat by a mile :) lol

02/28/2013 new

(Quote) Mary-363093 said: Laurel and Tracy - way to put in a plug for our Indy events! Your checks are in the mail!...
(Quote) Mary-363093 said:

Laurel and Tracy - way to put in a plug for our Indy events! Your checks are in the mail! (Looking forward to seeing both of you again - sooner rather than later!)

Seriously K, I agree with what others have posted, that's the BEST way to meet people - attend or organize an event. Indy draws folks from all over - our camp out last year had people from CT to CA, 11 states were represented. We have a lot of fun when we get together, it takes all the pressure off of a single f2f because one meets several folks in one shot. Worst that can happen is you meet a bunch of new friends.

Anywhere I've traveled, I've posted in the Forum in advance and asked if anyone was interested in getting together - for dinner, for a drink, cup of coffee, etc. 4 years ago in Denver, we had over 20 that met for dinner and went to a club for some dancing afterwards. I didn't know one person before that evening, yet I'm still friends with several of them.

What's that saying? If we want something bad enough, we'll MAKE it happen.

--hide--

Mary is right! (Yes, that's even in writing, Mar! laughing wave ) Attend or organize an event!

I KNOW it's hard that first time. But really, folks, I see so many people in these forums who are frustrated in not meeting others, but when I look at the people attending events and organizing them, I don't see nearly enough. I've dated two CM men I've met at events.

Like Jackie 198, I attended CM Ireland 2011 and in 10 days, I made friends with whom I'm planning vacations with and receiving uplifting cards, texts and phone calls from still two years later. The CM Indy peeps are the group I count as my first official event (I knew I was going to meet a LOT of people, and I am NOT a big group person.) Yet I had a blast, and they are now stuck with me years later! tongue I kid, but I THINK they are mostly glad... eyepopping I know I am! heartbeat

Repeating: Attend or organize an event - event just a simple Mass and meal meet-up in your area. (I've posted that three times tonight. I think it's safe to say I feel fairly strongly about it! wink )

02/28/2013 new

(Quote) Brian-278516 said: As far as marriages and relationships go, if some of you guys know our numbers please let us know...
(Quote) Brian-278516 said:

As far as marriages and relationships go, if some of you guys know our numbers please let us know because we have no idea. About all we know is that we get between 50-80 couples per month telling us they are engaged or married. Of that number we turn some into success stories. However the reality is that most couples never let us know. Believe me we we did have an accurate count. I am also dubious of some the claims from the large websites because they are not using actual stats but survey information.

I do know that I can't go anywhere anymore an not run into someone who knows someone who met on CatholicMatch. I know that Donna keeps trakc of many couples and I suspect some are not even in our member story area. We have never focused on trying to track down every couple we focus on providing stories that show the diversity in our couples and in their relationships. But at the end of the day we simply try to provide a service that is just one of many tools that singles can use to be open to God introducing them to their future spouse.

www.catholicmatch.com

--hide--

Have you ever thought of gathering your own statistics from ALL members as to their sucess rate and turn it into a pie chart, love heart or something visual. Just as a sign to those of us that there is cupid about and X out of Y have found love, friends, compaionship and other positive things just to give a boost when needed?

02/28/2013 new

(Quote) Marge-938695 said: Heck YES. I've probably met...
(Quote) Marge-938695 said:

Heck YES. I've probably met 50 or more, and I count several CM guys/gals among my best friends.

Aunt Millie's tips:

1. Make the first contact. Many people are shy. Go ahead. Be the first one to send a message or emote. Be the first one to say, "Let's have lunch." Any man who freaks out because you ask first isn't worth knowing, IMHO...he's got ego issues.

2. Organize a lunch, picnic, dinner, or other get-together in your area and invite local CM people. It doesn't have to be a big affair like CM Chicago, etc.. The Boston group assembles at least twice a year for horseback riding and ice cream. The Cincinatti people have a monthly dinner night. Even if it's just you and two other ladies, you'll have fun.

3. If you see that another CMer is going to be in your town, offer to meet him/her for drinks or lunch -- or to serve as a tour guide. If you are travelling, let folks in that area know, and maybe they will host you. It's very comforting to arrive in a new place and already have an acquaintance there. (Note: One nice man from England travelled all over the States a few years ago and met with CM people in nearly every town he visited.)

4. Save your pennies up and attend one of the big events (like Chicago). They are lots of fun.

5. Keep posting in the forums. If people see how you think, you will not be a total stranger when you meet IRL. Likewise, if someone posts something you particularly like, send him/her a message and say so. Maybe that will get a conversation going.

6. Don't give up. There are all kinds of reasons someone may not respond: not a paid member, illness, job worries, another relationship, etc., etc.. But those things are not permanent. Some ladies have told me that their guys waited a full month before responding to her first contact -- but after that it went like wildfire. (Who knows why?)

7. Don't take things personally. We cannot be everyone's cup of tea. But maybe you will be the prize in the Cracker Jack box for some nice CM guy.

--hide--

Your tips are great. Thanks for posting them.

02/28/2013 new

(Quote) Al-939544 said: (Quote) Mary-363093 said: Laurel and Tracy - way to put in a plug fo...
(Quote) Al-939544 said:

Quote:
Mary-363093 said:

Laurel and Tracy - way to put in a plug for our Indy events! Your checks are in the mail! (Looking forward to seeing both of you again - sooner rather than later!)

Seriously K, I agree with what others have posted, that's the BEST way to meet people - attend or organize an event. Indy draws folks from all over - our camp out last year had people from CT to CA, 11 states were represented. We have a lot of fun when we get together, it takes all the pressure off of a single f2f because one meets several folks in one shot. Worst that can happen is you meet a bunch of new friends.

Anywhere I've traveled, I've posted in the Forum in advance and asked if anyone was interested in getting together - for dinner, for a drink, cup of coffee, etc. 4 years ago in Denver, we had over 20 that met for dinner and went to a club for some dancing afterwards. I didn't know one person before that evening, yet I'm still friends with several of them.

Mary when are you coming to MN we need your expertise ?

--hide--

laughing Al - if I ever come to MN, I'll get something going, I promise! wave

For a while I was traveling back and forth between Indy and San Diego - living in both cities - so I put together outings in both states depending on when I knew I would be in town. Met LOTS of great people who have become good friends. hug

In the meantime - don't wait for me, you should jump right in! mischievous

Start a thread in the Meet Ups Room here in the Fora - use your town or city in the title with "- Get Together For Dinner?" and see what happens. Reply to anyone that posts, and ask for location / restaurant suggestions as well as help narrowing down the best date / time. Keep it simple, make sure the restaurant will take separate checks and that is isn't so noisy you can't hear each other. Do a search for those living within a reasonable driving distance and write to them, ask them to check out the thread, and see if they want to get together.

Also, if you EVER see anyone post in the Fora that lives nearby - DEFINITELY reach out to them!

02/28/2013 new

(Quote) Tracy-929496 said: (Quote) Mary-363093 said: Laurel and Tracy - way to put in a plug...
(Quote) Tracy-929496 said:

Quote:
Mary-363093 said:

Hold the check, Mary. You can repay me by considering letting ME host an event at my place. I didn't get to tell you much about it, but it's truly a little slice of heaven here on earth...

--hide--

Tracy - that sounds absolutely WONDERFUL! hug I'd LOVE to head your direction for a gathering, and I'll help in any way I can. Is there a better time of year for you? I assume your weekends during growing season are fairly busy. rose Send me a message with ideas and we'll see what we can put together.

biggrin Folks - THAT'S HOW IT'S DONE! Someone nice suggests getting together, possibly even offers to host - and it snowballs from there! It's really as simple as that! Tracy didn't know ANY of us Indy folks until she came to our Chili Cook Off a few weeks ago - but she made the effort, met all kinds of loons.....er...I mean....super nice people, and she's ready to get together again!

One of the locals said a phrase I really like, it went something like: You may walk in a stranger, but you'll walk out a friend. Sums it up nicely. wink

02/28/2013 new

Hello this is my four try to CM, I have met a few ladies from this site and dated one for over a year, but she was not what I wanted she was a very high maintence lady. I am looking for someone that enjoy's life in general and also wants to travel. it seems very hard to find someone in this site that lives less than 40 miles from me. I will be here till June, I hope I find a nice lady.

02/28/2013 new

(Quote) Lucy-41785 said: Mary is right! (Yes, that's even in writing, Mar! ) Attend or organize an event! <...
(Quote) Lucy-41785 said:

Mary is right! (Yes, that's even in writing, Mar! ) Attend or organize an event!

I KNOW it's hard that first time. But really, folks, I see so many people in these forums who are frustrated in not meeting others, but when I look at the people attending events and organizing them, I don't see nearly enough. I've dated two CM men I've met at events.

Like Jackie 198, I attended CM Ireland 2011 and in 10 days, I made friends with whom I'm planning vacations with and receiving uplifting cards, texts and phone calls from still two years later. The CM Indy peeps are the group I count as my first official event (I knew I was going to meet a LOT of people, and I am NOT a big group person.) Yet I had a blast, and they are now stuck with me years later! I kid, but I THINK they are mostly glad... I know I am!

Repeating: Attend or organize an event - event just a simple Mass and meal meet-up in your area. (I've posted that three times tonight. I think it's safe to say I feel fairly strongly about it! )

--hide--

LOVE that first line, Lucy! clap clap clap wink laughing laughing

Lucy made the trek from IL to Indy for our 1st Annual Chili Cook Off (we just held our 5th!) She became instant friends with many of us, and we've lured her back to more events over the years. We're kind of addicting. eyepopping laughing rolling eyes

02/28/2013 new

Thanks for this thread. I was thinking of giving up on this website, but I'll hang around awhile longer.

Posts 131 - 140 of 200