Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Should I answer the question "Considering a vocation", yes?

It isn't a vocation that would require someone to be single unless he was ordained as such, but it would definitely be something to take into consideration for a woman interested in meeting me.

Feb 19th 2013 new

I think it counts, as long as you clarify it.

Being a deacon is definitely a serious commitment, and any woman in your life would need to understand that you will always belong more to the Church than you do to her. It is definitely something any interested female would want to know about, because not all women are strong enough or willing to be a deacon's wife. It takes a lot of effort from both parties, and it's good to be upfront about that.

To marry a deacon means to commit yourself to upholding his vocation, to supporting him in all things. It requires patience, humility, and forebearance beyond the norm. Therefore, it is definitely right for you to make it clear that the deaconate is what you are called to.

Short answer: yes. Answer it yes.

Feb 19th 2013 new

(Quote) Patrick-441919 said: Should I answer the question "Considering a vocation", yes? It isn't a voc...
(Quote) Patrick-441919 said:

It isn't a vocation that would require someone to be single unless he was ordained as such, but it would definitely be something to take into consideration for a woman interested in meeting me.

--hide--

Very good question. I would say answer "yes" but then explain it very clearly in your profile. I'd most likely skip to that part. lol

Feb 19th 2013 new
(Quote) Patrick-441919 said: Should I answer the question "Considering a vocation", yes? It isn't a vocation that wo...

--hide--
I don't think of the deaconate as a vocation. I think within your profile you should just say it within the first couple of lines though. Patrick, did you know that if you marry first then there is a waiting period before you can be considered into the deaconate? I think it is 7 years you need to be married first. If you enter into the deaconate first you can't marry you also couldn't remarry if your wife should pass away while you are a deacon. Just some food for thought. I did read your profile and I think it is wonderful that you are considering it!
Feb 19th 2013 new
I wish women could be deacons. I have always thought it was a great vocation.

Like the other women have indicated, you should be upfront about your plans in your profile. Best wishes!
Feb 20th 2013 new

(Quote) Patrick-441919 said: Should I answer the question "Considering a vocation", yes? It isn't a voc...

--hide--

A dear friend of mine with his wife just went through the diaconate program & was ordained last fall. It's quite a process & very in depth in the amount of formation one goes through. You may want to check into the marriage guidelines though. I know if a deacon were to loose his wife he is not permitted to remarry and remain a deacon of the church. It may be if you were to be ordained while single that you cannot marry.

When I lived in Minnesota the wives of the two deacons I knew there also received formation since there are a great many sacrifices & extra burdens the wife carries as well. It would be wise to let anyone you consider a potential to investigate together... IMHO rose rose rose

Feb 20th 2013 new

(Quote) Loretta-678584 said: I don't think of the deaconate as a vocation. I think within your profile you should just say it w...
(Quote) Loretta-678584 said: I don't think of the deaconate as a vocation. I think within your profile you should just say it within the first couple of lines though. Patrick, did you know that if you marry first then there is a waiting period before you can be considered into the deaconate? I think it is 7 years you need to be married first. If you enter into the deaconate first you can't marry you also couldn't remarry if your wife should pass away while you are a deacon. Just some food for thought. I did read your profile and I think it is wonderful that you are considering it!
--hide--

Sorry Loretta....

Missed your post & didn't realise you already said this... embarassed

His Peace.... theheart

Feb 20th 2013 new
(Quote) Debbie-514749 said: A dear friend of mine with his wife just went through the diaconate program & was ordained last f...
(Quote) Debbie-514749 said:

A dear friend of mine with his wife just went through the diaconate program & was ordained last fall. It's quite a process & very in depth in the amount of formation one goes through. You may want to check into the marriage guidelines though. I know if a deacon were to loose his wife he is not permitted to remarry and remain a deacon of the church. It may be if you were to be ordained while single that you cannot marry.

When I lived in Minnesota the wives of the two deacons I knew there also received formation since there are a great many sacrifices & extra burdens the wife carries as well. It would be wise to let anyone you consider a potential to investigate together... IMHO

--hide--
No worries, I think it is great that the spouses get the formation as well. One of my moms friends was a wife of a deacon. I loved their relationship with each other. I think it would be great
Feb 21st 2013 new
(Quote) Patrick-441919 said: Should I answer the question "Considering a vocation", yes? It isn't a vocation...

--hide--

The diaconate is a vocation. If one becomes a Deacon before being married, he cannot get married. He must become a Priest.

If a gentleman gets married before becoming a Deacon, he must wait 5 years prior to entering the Diaconate. He must have his wife's permission.

Therefore, I believe that you should check "yes" on your profile...and then explain that it is for the diaconate.
Feb 21st 2013 new
Loretta, I did not realize that I pretty much said the same thing as you!

For several months in 2010, I corresponded with someone that was discerning the Priesthood. He is now in Seminary.

I have a friend whose father is a Deacon. He and his wife do my parish's marriage counseling prior to marriage.

While my friend and I were communicating on a regular basis, I learned a lot about the diaconate. I decided at that time that I would not have a problem being the wife of a Deacon.
Posts 1 - 10 of 13