Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Feb 21st 2013 new
(Quote) Helen-450889 said: Loretta, I did not realize that I pretty much said the same thing as you! For several months in 2010, I co...
(Quote) Helen-450889 said: Loretta, I did not realize that I pretty much said the same thing as you!

For several months in 2010, I corresponded with someone that was discerning the Priesthood. He is now in Seminary.

I have a friend whose father is a Deacon. He and his wife do my parish's marriage counseling prior to marriage.

While my friend and I were communicating on a regular basis, I learned a lot about the diaconate. I decided at that time that I would not have a problem being the wife of a Deacon.
--hide--
I think that being a deacons wife would be great also. have no worries about duplicating my info. In fact I thought that the time of waiting was 7 years. Maybe that is different from diocese to diocese.
Feb 21st 2013 new

How to Become a Permanent Deacon

What is the Permanent Diaconate?

A vocation

God calls some men to be permanent deaconsto dedicate their lives to serve the Church in imitation of Christ. Its true that every Christian is called to serve others, but deacons are configured to this calling in a particular way through the sacrament of Holy Orders. The sacrament places an indelible seal or mark on their souls, uniting them to Christ, who came not to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom (Mt. 20:28).

Deacons are able to give others not only food for their bodies (they do that, too), but above all, food for their souls. They answer needs that no merely humanitarian mission can.

Ministry

Permanent deacons minister in many ways: they participate in liturgy (as lectors, reading the Gospel and/or preaching the homily, as Eucharistic ministers); they work at the service of charity and justice (like mission work or prison ministry, for example), offer faith-formation (like RCIA or RCIC as well as marriage preparation), and above all, they witness to the Gospel within their professional and daily life.

How do I become a deacon?

There are two stages of preparation before ordination: the aspirant path (usually one year) and the candidate path; it usually lasts 4-5 years total.

Application takes place through the diocesan office. Once accepted by the bishop, aspirant level of formation begins. Its a time to discern the capacity and readiness for candidacy through prayer, study, spiritual direction, interviews with the formation director and continued parish life.

The candidacy is marked by continued discernment of Gods call and preparation for ordination through the means already mentioned, with a more focused approach.

According to Canon Law, candidates for the permanent diaconate must be at least 25 years old, if unmarried, and at least 35 years old, if married (in this case, he also needs his wifes consent) (c.f. canon 1031).

If an unmarried man is ordained to the diaconate, he commits himself to a life of celibacy; married men commit themselves to the same, should their wife pass away before them (c.f. canon 1037).
Feb 21st 2013 new
(Quote) Helen-450889 said: From: www.catholic.net How to Become a Permanent De...
(Quote) Helen-450889 said: From: www.catholic.net

How to Become a Permanent Deacon

What is the Permanent Diaconate?

A vocation

God calls some men to be permanent deaconsto dedicate their lives to serve the Church in imitation of Christ. Its true that every Christian is called to serve others, but deacons are configured to this calling in a particular way through the sacrament of Holy Orders. The sacrament places an indelible seal or mark on their souls, uniting them to Christ, who came not to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom (Mt. 20:28).

Deacons are able to give others not only food for their bodies (they do that, too), but above all, food for their souls. They answer needs that no merely humanitarian mission can.

Ministry

Permanent deacons minister in many ways: they participate in liturgy (as lectors, reading the Gospel and/or preaching the homily, as Eucharistic ministers); they work at the service of charity and justice (like mission work or prison ministry, for example), offer faith-formation (like RCIA or RCIC as well as marriage preparation), and above all, they witness to the Gospel within their professional and daily life.

How do I become a deacon?

There are two stages of preparation before ordination: the aspirant path (usually one year) and the candidate path; it usually lasts 4-5 years total.

Application takes place through the diocesan office. Once accepted by the bishop, aspirant level of formation begins. Its a time to discern the capacity and readiness for candidacy through prayer, study, spiritual direction, interviews with the formation director and continued parish life.

The candidacy is marked by continued discernment of Gods call and preparation for ordination through the means already mentioned, with a more focused approach.

According to Canon Law, candidates for the permanent diaconate must be at least 25 years old, if unmarried, and at least 35 years old, if married (in this case, he also needs his wifes consent) (c.f. canon 1031).

If an unmarried man is ordained to the diaconate, he commits himself to a life of celibacy; married men commit themselves to the same, should their wife pass away before them (c.f. canon 1037).
--hide--
This is great info for any of the gents here who may be considering it
Posts 11 - 13 of 13