Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Being Catholic Matters!

Feb 20th 2013 new

One of the things that frustrates me the most about being a convert is how many Catholics seem to try and pretend that they can blend in to the secular world. That our traditions and sacramentals are merely superstition, and that maybe all Jesus wanted us to do was to try and be nice people.

But it's not that easy, is it?

Here's a meditation I wrote on the subject. Please tell me your thoughts.

trenchcoatintrospective.wordpress.com

Feb 20th 2013 new

(Quote) Elizabeth-942124 said: One of the things that frustrates me the most about being a convert is how many Catholics see...
(Quote) Elizabeth-942124 said:

One of the things that frustrates me the most about being a convert is how many Catholics seem to try and pretend that they can blend in to the secular world. That our traditions and sacramentals are merely superstition, and that maybe all Jesus wanted us to do was to try and be nice people.

--hide--
Thank you, Elizabeth for the well written and very much needed article. You will find people here at CM who share your thoughts (I am one of them). God bless you. theheart

Feb 20th 2013 new

I guess thats why God wanted you to join the church.

I get miffed too and I wonder if people actually realize the claims that the church is making is either true or really crazy. Either Jesus was God and physically rose from the dead in a glorified state and is really present in the Eucharist or this whole thing is quite a charade. My only guess is that they see these as "stories" that serve some utilitarian purpose of making people nice.

But I guess even Jesus saw this coming hence the parable of the sower. We should be thankful we've been give the gift of faith.

Feb 20th 2013 new
(Quote) Elizabeth-942124 said: One of the things that frustrates me the most about being a convert is how many Catholics seem to try and p...

--hide--

My greatest frustration as a convert is just how misinformed and poorly educated so many Catholics are about the faith. It's something I've encountered repeatedly in the nearly 20 years that I have been a Catholic.
Feb 21st 2013 new

(Quote) Elizabeth-942124 said: One of the things that frustrates me the most about being a convert is how many Catholics see...

--hide--

Beautiful article Elizabeth! It gives such hope to see young people like you so on fire for Our Lord.

To echo your thoughts in the article... A very solid priest once told us that to be Christ's hands & feet in the world, we should expect to be frequently out of our comfort zones. It's always been this way & always will be. I try to remember this thought when people look at me cross eyed for making the sign of the cross in restaurants while saying grace. It's a small humiliation, but something that has made myself & my children stronger in bigger things too. It takes practice to stand up for Christ... but the rewards are priceless! rose rose rose

Feb 23rd 2013 new
(Quote) John-220051 said: My greatest frustration as a convert is just how misinformed and poorly educated so many Catholics are abou...
(Quote) John-220051 said:

My greatest frustration as a convert is just how misinformed and poorly educated so many Catholics are about the faith. It's something I've encountered repeatedly in the nearly 20 years that I have been a Catholic.
--hide--
It is similar to how poorly educated Americans are about their own history but those who want to be citizens learn about it and take a test. Sometimes, it is like when you see a forest for the first time... You are amazed by the tree, by their color, smell, their different leaves BUT if you have always lived in a forest you don't see all the wonderful detail.
Feb 23rd 2013 new

--hide--
Elizabeth, What a great artcle. to reminds us of who we realy are. You make us catholics see, how proud we should be, about being chosen by God, to be the light to a world so full of darkness. I can only hope and pray that, young Catholics like youself, help wake up our fellow Catholics. We can change the world if we just do what we are called to do. Jesus even promised he would be with us, when he said. don't worry about what you will say because the spirit will be with you and it will be the Father talking through you. Something like that, we of little faith??? Thanks for the reminder.

Feb 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: My greatest frustration as a convert is just how misinformed and poorly educated so many Catholic...
(Quote) John-220051 said:

--hide--
John, I have often equated the level of awareness and education possessed by RCIA Catholics pertaining to the tenets of the Faith to that of naturalized citizens in similar reference to US history, government, and constitutional rights. Like naturalized citizens, RCIA candidates are beyond the age of reason when they make the independent choice to join the Catholic Church and convert to the Faith. As such, converts are better educated with current interpretations of the infrastructure and underpinnings of the Faith, much like naturalized citizens are better informed with understandings of American government and their rights and privileges as citizens. Fortunately, RCIA in most US parishes is also open to cradle Catholics who wish to gain a better understanding of their Faith. Apart from that, apologetics can and should be studied independently by all Catholics as a form of stewardship and as a personal evangelic ministry.

Feb 23rd 2013 new

Beautiful article Elizabeth! And I too get the looks and stares and comments. But usually from non Catholics. Yes there are those that claim it's all too personal to Evangelize...but to many they watch me and usually say, you remind me of my Faith and how I should go back to it or pay more attention to it etc. I say Praise God! When I go past a Catholic church I blow a kiss to Jesus in the Tabernacle and make a sign of the cross and make a little hello comment to Jesus. When I pass by our chapel at work, I do the same and sometimes people will say..Jane you're so funny...and then they look down and seem to think about it. I come across many different people in my day and when they see my crucifix and medal around my neck they will either smile in "knowing" or give a look away or make a nasty comment about how strict or corupt the Catholic church is or whatever other nasty comment they make. But I stick to my word and just smile and sometimes say. I will pray for you.Outloud or to myself. Sometimes I get some pretty nasty comments but I press on. Some days I come home and it really gets me down and I ask God for strength contantly. I ask Him to lift me up and to walk in with me and hold my hand. This past Ash Wednesday when my patients say my ashes, many of them said I have to go now to church to get them, or my wife has been to church already you remind me of her mmm I should go shouldnt I etc. Onward Christian Soldiers! Praying hug Dove

Feb 23rd 2013 new
(Quote) John-146319 said: John, I have often equated the level of awareness and education possessed by RCIA Catholics pertaining to the te...
(Quote) John-146319 said:

John, I have often equated the level of awareness and education possessed by RCIA Catholics pertaining to the tenets of the Faith to that of naturalized citizens in similar reference to US history, government, and constitutional rights. Like naturalized citizens, RCIA candidates are beyond the age of reason when they make the independent choice to join the Catholic Church and convert to the Faith. As such, converts are better educated with current interpretations of the infrastructure and underpinnings of the Faith, much like naturalized citizens are better informed with understandings of American government and their rights and privileges as citizens. Fortunately, RCIA in most US parishes is also open to cradle Catholics who wish to gain a better understanding of their Faith. Apart from that, apologetics can and should be studied independently by all Catholics as a form of stewardship and as a personal evangelic ministry.

--hide--

To many of us, education about The Faith happened when we were children. It needs to be approached in adulthood, as well---which may be why so many Catholics appear under-educated about their faith. Also, we Catholics depend on our priests for interpretation of the Bible, as much of it is quite complex: much like interpretation of poetry, and requires a theological education, or access to it. If we attend mass regularly we gain much!

RCIA may meet the needs of many for an overall review, as well as bible studies and other classes held at the parishes. Those questions that were never quite answered as children, may become much more clear as an adult. Another good approach is to ask good praciticing Catholics for reading on particular Catholics issues and subjects. You many even find some good suggestions from people here!
Posts 1 - 10 of 21