Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion on entertainment, movies, television, jokes or light-hearted topics. Please keep discussion clean and appropriate for a Catholic site.

Saint Vitus is the patron saint of actors, comedians, dancers, and of entertainers in general.
Learn More:Saint Vitus

For those of you who have Netflix, For Greater Glory: The True Story of Cristiada is now available.

The film opens with screen titles describing the anti-Catholic provisions of the 1917 Constitution of Mexico. Civil war erupts when newly elected Mexican president, Plutarco Elías Calles (Rubén Blades), begins a violent and relentless crackdown against the country's Catholic faithful. The film depicts the carnage by showing churches being set on fire, nuns subjected to extreme harassment, Catholic priests murdered with the chance to leave Mexico and countless faithful peasants killed and then publicly hanged on telegraph poles.

The story shifts to Father Christopher (Peter O’Toole), a Catholic priest, who is ruthlessly murdered by the Federales (government forces). The killing is witnessed by a thirteen-year-old boy named José Luis Sanchez (Mauricio Kuri). Driven by anger and rage, José joins the rebels, or Cristeros ("soldiers for Christ"), fighting against Calles. Their battle cry is "¡Viva Cristo Rey!" (meaning "Long live Christ the King"). en.wikipedia.org

I did not get to see the film when it was released last year, but I remember many parishes here in San Diego arranging for special screenings so I am happy to see it is now available on Netflix. For those of you who don't have the service, the first month is free.

Posts 1 - 1 of 1