Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

02/20/2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: Did I say they loved to dance? youtu.be (a little grainy but was a ...
(Quote) Jerry-730726 said:

Did I say they loved to dance? youtu.be

(a little grainy but was a long time ago) In the background it's a little dark but you might see someone you recognize

--hide--
Aww, Jerry, I'm so glad to see you finally got the video transferred to a disc. I've loved it from the first time you showed it to me in Dallas.

What a beautiful couple!! God rest their lovely souls.l Praying rosary

02/20/2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: Did I say they loved to dance? youtu.be (a little grainy but was a ...

Did I say they loved to dance? youtu.be

(a little grainy but was a long time ago) In the background it's a little dark but you might see someone you recognize

--hide--
Finally got to view the video, Jerry. So nice! They looked like they were really enjoying themselves. That fancy footwork near the end-- biggrin .

02/20/2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: good traits, habits, talents beliefs etc.....which you recall about your PARENTS? (funny traits a...

good traits, habits, talents beliefs etc.....which you recall about your PARENTS? (funny traits are good too!)

I'll start off with my parents who would have us say the "Family Rosary" every evening when possible.

--hide--

My Mom just turned 75, still drives, not on any medications. Will go out and shovel some snow in the Winter, and garden in the Spring and Summer. She's funny, too. My parents would Polka dance in the kitchen sometimes when we were kids. Not a very big kitchen, but was enough room for them to dance there. One of the funniest things about my father was how he made up some words, but we knew what he meant. He said to be "observatory" (instead of observant), and to "use your eyes!" Very important for many reasons. Such as noticing something is wrong with your car.

My Dad has been gone five years, from cancer. I was holding his right hand, and my Mom was holding his left hand, when he passed away. He was not conscious but I felt like he was crossing over, which was a difficult but amazing feeling. Further solidified the feeling about the other side. My father was a very hard worker all his life, so if he did anything funny, like mockingly flapping his lips behind my Mom's back if she was a bit mad at him about something minor, it was funny. Of course, almost always, she knew he was doing that, so then he would pretend he was startled she caught him doing it. So they both taught us how to laugh at ourselves. And be "observatory". biggrin

02/20/2013 new

My beautiful, hard-working mother was never too busy to sit down on the couch and color a picture with me when I was little. I remember those cherished moments much more clearly than any gifts I ever received for Christmas. Time, time, time. It's the most costly ~ and precious ~ gift we can give.

02/21/2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: good traits, habits, talents beliefs etc.....which you recall about your PARENTS? (funny traits a...

good traits, habits, talents beliefs etc.....which you recall about your PARENTS? (funny traits are good too!)

I'll start off with my parents who would have us say the "Family Rosary" every evening when possible.

--hide--

I came home one day in the seventh grade and my dad had moved all the furniture back in the living room and had his stereo on. I asked what he was doing and he grinned at me and said, "I am going to teach you how to jitterbug." Although I thought my shoulder might end up dislocated that was probably one of the most precious memories I have of my dad.

Both of my parents were very well read and good conversationalists and we often had long talks. On the weekends, we'd all pile into my parents bedroom and take up residence on the bed, while my dad drank coffee to wake up lol and we'd all talk about everything. We also spent hours after dinner each night either sitting at the table talking about all sorts of things in the winter, or on the front porch in the summer with neighbors often popping in as well. I miss those days :-)

02/21/2013 new

clap clap Thanks for sharing your mom and dad with us, Jerry! The video is a real "keepsake", as you said...

My mom has always loved music of all sorts, and would listen to the radio non-stop or her 78rpms...She'd put on the music blaring loud, and then mop the kitchen floor, doing a dance like Fred Astaire with the mop. For some reason, she always put dry newspapers down on the wet floor for us to walk across and not get the floor muddy with our shoes. I always thought that was sooo weird--I never have seen or heard of anyone else doing that....

My dad would come home and see those newspapers on the entryway floor, and turn right back around and get into his truck and head out--he knew better than to come inside and track new mud! If Mama wanted to surprise him with a special dinner, and she was running late getting it made, she'd tell us girls to go lay out the newspapers in the entryway to stall Daddy! Otherwise, it was a firm rule, dinner on the table at 5:30!

02/21/2013 new

(Quote) Tracy-929496 said: My beautiful, hard-working mother was never too busy to sit down on the couch and color a picture...
(Quote) Tracy-929496 said:

My beautiful, hard-working mother was never too busy to sit down on the couch and color a picture with me when I was little. I remember those cherished moments much more clearly than any gifts I ever received for Christmas. Time, time, time. It's the most costly ~ and precious ~ gift we can give.

--hide--
Awww....how nice Tracy. I can remember those cherished moments well. Btw, I very much enjoyed your "home style" cooking at the cookoff; and that "Angel Food" cake was to die for! And enjoyed meeting you and many others! Hope you had a good time as well.

02/21/2013 new

(Quote) Beverly-649723 said: Thanks for sharing your mom and dad with us, Jerry! The video is a real "keepsake", a...
(Quote) Beverly-649723 said:

Thanks for sharing your mom and dad with us, Jerry! The video is a real "keepsake", as you said...

My mom has always loved music of all sorts, and would listen to the radio non-stop or her 78rpms...She'd put on the music blaring loud, and then mop the kitchen floor, doing a dance like Fred Astaire with the mop. For some reason, she always put dry newspapers down on the wet floor for us to walk across and not get the floor muddy with our shoes. I always thought that was sooo weird--I never have seen or heard of anyone else doing that....

My dad would come home and see those newspapers on the entryway floor, and turn right back around and get into his truck and head out--he knew better than to come inside and track new mud! If Mama wanted to surprise him with a special dinner, and she was running late getting it made, she'd tell us girls to go lay out the newspapers in the entryway to stall Daddy! Otherwise, it was a firm rule, dinner on the table at 5:30!

--hide--
Lol! Beverly. Guess our parents were always up to something too. Not just us kids! Glad you enjoyed.

02/21/2013 new

(Quote) Lauren-927923 said: I came home one day in the seventh grade and my dad had moved all the furniture back in...
(Quote) Lauren-927923 said:

I came home one day in the seventh grade and my dad had moved all the furniture back in the living room and had his stereo on. I asked what he was doing and he grinned at me and said, "I am going to teach you how to jitterbug." Although I thought my shoulder might end up dislocated that was probably one of the most precious memories I have of my dad.

Both of my parents were very well read and good conversationalists and we often had long talks. On the weekends, we'd all pile into my parents bedroom and take up residence on the bed, while my dad drank coffee to wake up lol and we'd all talk about everything. We also spent hours after dinner each night either sitting at the table talking about all sorts of things in the winter, or on the front porch in the summer with neighbors often popping in as well. I miss those days :-)

--hide--
Thanks for posting Lauren. I miss them too. I can remember my Father when I was perhaps 7 or 8 sitting me down and telling me that NO MATTER what he was busy with (what with 6 other mouths to feed or that he was tired from work)that if I EVER had anything to talk to him about....he would MAKE time to listen. Those words stayed with me...the rest of my life! And I have always treated my sons the same way. He also told me if I was ever IN TROUBLE; as long as I told him FIRST....I wouldn't be in trouble with HIM. Course there were times I had to remind him of this earlier promise! LOL!

02/21/2013 new

(Quote) Lori-172215 said: My Mom just turned 75, still drives, not on any medications. Will go out and shovel some ...
(Quote) Lori-172215 said:

My Mom just turned 75, still drives, not on any medications. Will go out and shovel some snow in the Winter, and garden in the Spring and Summer. She's funny, too. My parents would Polka dance in the kitchen sometimes when we were kids. Not a very big kitchen, but was enough room for them to dance there. One of the funniest things about my father was how he made up some words, but we knew what he meant. He said to be "observatory" (instead of observant), and to "use your eyes!" Very important for many reasons. Such as noticing something is wrong with your car.

My Dad has been gone five years, from cancer. I was holding his right hand, and my Mom was holding his left hand, when he passed away. He was not conscious but I felt like he was crossing over, which was a difficult but amazing feeling. Further solidified the feeling about the other side. My father was a very hard worker all his life, so if he did anything funny, like mockingly flapping his lips behind my Mom's back if she was a bit mad at him about something minor, it was funny. Of course, almost always, she knew he was doing that, so then he would pretend he was startled she caught him doing it. So they both taught us how to laugh at ourselves. And be "observatory".

--hide--
Sorry to hear about your Dad Lori....and thanks for posting. My parents had these funny little quirks as well...esp the "rolling of the eyes" thing behind each others' backs. So fun in their later years to watch them both "huddled up" and working crosswords. One time they were stuck on a 8 letter word for a vessel used in the Mass. They just kept saying, "Chalice doesn't fit" Looking up from the sports I said, "Ciborium" They both were like "sheesh!"

Posts 21 - 30 of 75