Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

02/23/2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: Ronald...so true. My Mom and Dad were part of that generation. They were two kids in love and nea...
(Quote) Jerry-730726 said:

Ronald...so true. My Mom and Dad were part of that generation. They were two kids in love and nearly oblivious to Great Britain getting hit by Hitler's V-1s and V-2s. When my Father was about to ask for her hand he had to go to his commanding officer as well as my Grandfather.

He was very nervous...and his C.O. was looking at papers when he motioned my Father to come in. He did not look up...until my Dad said, "Sir I spoke to God this morning....now can I talk to you?" His officer immediately smiled and looked up into the eyes of the young Private. My Father told him about meeting the beautiful blonde British lass he was madly in love with. (during war-time many American soldiers would only see a Brit for awhile....and then bail when they were shipped back to the states...bad deal because some were left with children to take care of) So his question to Dad was: "How do I know you are not just marrying for the duration?" (of the war) My Father spoke up: "Because we are Catholic" (Back then NO ONE divorced as a Catholic) He then said, "So granted"

--hide--

My dad, 2 of his brothers and my moms 2 brothers all served in WW2. I would like to have known more about my dad's experiences there but all he talked about seemed like he was having a good time in Europe.

I have great respect for my one uncle, one of my mothers brothers, for serving in the marines and was in the battle of iwo jima. He and his wife stayed married throughout their lives like everyone else did in that generation. He didn't have children partly because his wife was never that healthy and had several miscarriages (maybe that would be a reason for a divorce currently). He outlived his wife but was killed in a head on car accident by a speeding motorist. God knows that life isn't fair by the way that we define it.

02/23/2013 new

(Quote) Ronald-937125 said: My dad, 2 of his brothers and my moms 2 brothers all served in WW2. I would like to have...
(Quote) Ronald-937125 said:

My dad, 2 of his brothers and my moms 2 brothers all served in WW2. I would like to have known more about my dad's experiences there but all he talked about seemed like he was having a good time in Europe.

I have great respect for my one uncle, one of my mothers brothers, for serving in the marines and was in the battle of iwo jima. He and his wife stayed married throughout their lives like everyone else did in that generation. He didn't have children partly because his wife was never that healthy and had several miscarriages (maybe that would be a reason for a divorce currently). He outlived his wife but was killed in a head on car accident by a speeding motorist. God knows that life isn't fair by the way that we define it.

--hide--
Nope....and funny you bring that up, because I was just telling someone yesterday about my best friend from grade school. Even his parents were pretty close friends with mine. And that GOOD Catholic family had 9 kids. We had stayed in touch off and on....and a few times even after we married. (keep in mind I knew this gentleman from the first grade) One day when I /we were 45....I read about his sudden death in his sleep in the obituaries. That hit me like a sledgehammer..... and I wondered WHY? But I guess its not for us to question.....

02/23/2013 new

My Father could be so "dry" with his humor....which made things even funnier. When he became ill in those last 5 years...he was taking a plethora of medications....he remarked: "I'm taking so many meds I'm not hungry!" He complained one time he felt bad he "didn't even know how to pronounce" some of them. But i told him to "nickname" them. Such as: Lisinipril and Alpurinol were reduced to AL and LIZ! He loved it I helped him with this. LOL!

02/23/2013 new

My Mom had about every book you could imagine on St Theresa of Lisieux (the Little Flower) She consequently became very close to this great Saint. Mom even adopted her own "little way" for doing things.....offering up even the smallest endeavor for the Love of God. For instance....I was helping her fold clean clothing one time. And she remarked "Even folding each garment....and offering it up for the Love of Christ can be most efficacious."
Course I would tease her too. "How about Mom that I offered it up that I even had to help you fold these clothes?" She would get a stern look...and then laugh...saying "Oh....you!"
I now have read a few books of my own on this wonderful Saint....discovering just what my Mom's attraction to her was. My Father took her to France one time and they visited her childhood home in Alencon? He said she cried when they went through the home...because she had for many years wanted to see for herself just how the Martin family lived~

02/25/2013 new

Last night's Oscars reminded me of my Mom & Dad and how they rarely missed one. (although my Dad was less interested than Mom)

In fact, he used to call it: "The mutual admiration society"! lol!

02/25/2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: Thank you Mary. I don't know many who like "mince meat" pie.....but those that do.....
(Quote) Jerry-730726 said:

Thank you Mary. I don't know many who like "mince meat" pie.....but those that do....LOVE it like me! And my Mom's crust was near perfect! My Dad used to also tease my Mom like that and wink at us. Glad you are enjoying....

--hide--
Jerry, add my Daddy to the great "mincemeat" pie lovers! That is his favorite pie, too, and no one could make it as well as his mother, my Grandma Essie!

02/27/2013 new

(Quote) Beverly-649723 said: (Quote) Jerry-730726 said: Thank you Mary. I don't know many who lik...
(Quote) Beverly-649723 said:

Quote:
Jerry-730726 said:

Thank you Mary. I don't know many who like "mince meat" pie.....but those that do....LOVE it like me! And my Mom's crust was near perfect! My Dad used to also tease my Mom like that and wink at us. Glad you are enjoying....

Jerry, add my Daddy to the great "mincemeat" pie lovers! That is his favorite pie, too, and no one could make it as well as his mother, my Grandma Essie!

--hide--

Beverly and Jerry, my Dad loved another pie his mother made too, strawberry-rhubarb. Nana had a massive garden and grew pretty much everything, so there was always good eats at her house! wink Heat up a piece of pie, add some french vanilla ice cream.....mmm mmm good! biggrin

02/27/2013 new

(Quote) Mary-363093 said: Beverly and Jerry, my Dad loved another pie his mother made too, strawberry-rhubarb. Nana...
(Quote) Mary-363093 said:

Beverly and Jerry, my Dad loved another pie his mother made too, strawberry-rhubarb. Nana had a massive garden and grew pretty much everything, so there was always good eats at her house! Heat up a piece of pie, add some french vanilla ice cream.....mmm mmm good!

--hide--
Hey, Mary, are your dad and my dad related?! scratchchin

My Grandma also had a huge garden, and grew everything, including rhubarb and strawberries! Strawberry-rhubarb is Daddy's second most favorite pie, followed by berry or berry-peach pie, all from her garden and orchard...

Now if your Gandma made "cat's head rolls", I'll know that we MUST BE cousins!! wink

03/04/2013 new
(Quote) Beverly-649723 said: Hey, Mary, are your dad and my dad related?! My Grandma also had a huge garden, and grew everything,...
(Quote) Beverly-649723 said:

Hey, Mary, are your dad and my dad related?!

My Grandma also had a huge garden, and grew everything, including rhubarb and strawberries! Strawberry-rhubarb is Daddy's second most favorite pie, followed by berry or berry-peach pie, all from her garden and orchard...

Now if your Gandma made "cat's head rolls", I'll know that we MUST BE cousins!!

--hide--
Hi Beverly. Strawberry rhubarb was my Mother's favorite pie too, Table Talk Pie Company was her favorite maker. I made it for my sis and nephew when I was home last (several years ago now) and they loved it. My sister here found it at Fresh Market and she will buy it when she misses Mom and she will invite me to have pie and tea. It is a good memory and funny how food, like music, evokes fond memories. Eileen
03/04/2013 new

All of these pies are making me hungry ladies! I DO like mincemeat pie with either whipped cream or vanilla ice cream on top!

We are all human.....and our family did quarrel sometimes....pretty normal really.
Once though when I was actually in my mid-50's and taking care of both of them I was checking my Mom's sugar. (she did not like "pricking" her finger with the little tool we had for for checking her blood) so I would do it.....and then slide the small droplet in a machine which within seconds would give a readout. My Father was "hovering" right there.....watching my every move! He then said, "Hey you're not doing that right!" I then said, "Dad why don't you go read the paper and I'll take care of this" (he got irritated though I said it in a nice way) We then locked eyes and I said, "Pop let's NOT get our blood pressure up" (this was stated a little louder than usual....I'll admit) He then stormed out of the room. Later that day he apologized in front of my Mom. I did not. (bad...boy, Jerry!) Most of the time my Mom would take my side in disagreements... this time she DID NOT. I was confronted with those penetrating "sea blue" eyes (even at 5'0 tall one did not question my little Mom) She said, " I saw that your Father apologized to you.....and you did not. YOU need to show respect and apologize to him" I NEVER turned my Mom down for anything....so I apologized.....and it was over. My Father taught me well. He would FORGET about something right away. I TRY also. I once told someone "If I could be one-quarter of the gentleman my Father was.....I would be a better man for it"

Posts 51 - 60 of 75