Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Mar 4th 2013 new

Okay....I KNOW I've mentioned this before....but it is funny enough to mention again. Earlier I mentioned sitting down at the table to eat as a family we did not speak.....unless Mom and Dad spoke to us first. (we also were not to touch our food until Dad had lead in the blessing)
But one time the whole table erupted in laughter after my brother recounted his first day of school. (yes the business partner one!) He was asked by my Mom "How was your first day in school today?" He then said, "Uhmmmm Momma it was okay.....I didn't suck my thumb" (he had been instructed not to) He then offered; "But there were about 5 kids who did" (already there were snickers! Even my Dad who had his fork half-way to his mouth....laughed quietly) She then said, "But I mean how did you like it...did you make some friends?" He then said, "Oh....I liked it okay. I think I'm FOURTH FROM THE DUMBEST" My Mom and Dad were genuinely laughing now as were the rest of us.....and my brother who was so good natured did also!

Mar 4th 2013 new

I wish I had lots of happy memories to tell of my parents and growing up happily w/ my 3 brothers and 1 sister, but I guess I don't. My parents fought a lot and did not like the fuss and bother of 5 kids in 6 1/4 years and left us on our own most of the time. I learned to make whole meals start to finish from scratch when I was in second grade and also to do all my own laundry then. We did go to Mass weekly and on Holy Days and to monthly confession, but we never seemed to talk about God or right and wrong and Church teaching. We also ate supper together when possible. I learned to clean very young because no one else did it. I guess I get most of my good habits and qualities from trying not to be like my parents. My children and I talk much more about God, how to live a good life pleasing to God, why things are right or wrong, and everything elseunder the sun. I love my parents but am glad not to be much like them.

Mar 5th 2013 new

(Quote) Rachel-731570 said: I wish I had lots of happy memories to tell of my parents and growing up happily w/ my 3 brother...
(Quote) Rachel-731570 said:

I wish I had lots of happy memories to tell of my parents and growing up happily w/ my 3 brothers and 1 sister, but I guess I don't. My parents fought a lot and did not like the fuss and bother of 5 kids in 6 1/4 years and left us on our own most of the time. I learned to make whole meals start to finish from scratch when I was in second grade and also to do all my own laundry then. We did go to Mass weekly and on Holy Days and to monthly confession, but we never seemed to talk about God or right and wrong and Church teaching. We also ate supper together when possible. I learned to clean very young because no one else did it. I guess I get most of my good habits and qualities from trying not to be like my parents. My children and I talk much more about God, how to live a good life pleasing to God, why things are right or wrong, and everything elseunder the sun. I love my parents but am glad not to be much like them.

--hide--
Good post Rachel. I admire you. There is only so much we can learn/practice.....and then we become our own person. Sorry you didn't have a lot of happy memories....but you and your children have done well....and they certainly will have plenty to remember and fall back on~

Mar 5th 2013 new

My Mom once made the 54 day novena (marathon....in my opinion) that we children would have the chance to have a piano in the home. Of course this would take a miracle. There was NO way my Dad could afford one.
When she had finished the novena one November....she and my Dad decided to call a Carmelite priest they knew who ran a very "poor" parish. They (my Mother and Father) wanted to take Thanksgiving dinner and some clothing and toys to one of families in this parish. Father "O" indeed knew of a family of 8. (six children and the parents) We went as a family to take this meal and items to them. I can still remember a couple of the rooms in their "shoddy" home had DIRT floors! When they opened the door they were in total shock! They were overwhelmed! And Father promptly told them to thank us. They did. My Mom hugged the Mother, and my Father hugged him. Finally with tears coming down his face the dad was moved to say: "Christmas in November!" My Mother and Father were gleaming when we left and their good friend Father "O" was very impressed.

Only one or two weeks later....the music teacher from our grade school called my Mom. (they were friends) She also had just bought a brand new piano. This left her with her Kimball "upright" She told my Mom the piano was in good shape......and she wanted our family to have it knowing full well Mom wanted us to have a piano. NOW my Mom was in tears! My Dad was at home and she was as excited as I've ever seen her! She went rushing into the den and told him.....as his jaw dropped open! That piano stayed with our family until just a few years ago! I will NEVER EVER forget my Mom's trememdous Faith!

Mar 5th 2013 new
(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: My Mom once made the 54 day novena (marathon....in my opinion) that we children would have the chance to have a...
(Quote) Jerry-730726 said:

My Mom once made the 54 day novena (marathon....in my opinion) that we children would have the chance to have a piano in the home. Of course this would take a miracle. There was NO way my Dad could afford one.
When she had finished the novena one November....she and my Dad decided to call a Carmelite priest they knew who ran a very "poor" parish. They (my Mother and Father) wanted to take Thanksgiving dinner and some clothing and toys to one of families in this parish. Father "O" indeed knew of a family of 8. (six children and the parents) We went as a family to take this meal and items to them. I can still remember a couple of the rooms in their "shoddy" home had DIRT floors! When they opened the door they were in total shock! They were overwhelmed! And Father promptly told them to thank us. They did. My Mom hugged the Mother, and my Father hugged him. Finally with tears coming down his face the dad was moved to say: "Christmas in November!" My Mother and Father were gleaming when we left and their good friend Father "O" was very impressed.

Only one or two weeks later....the music teacher from our grade school called my Mom. (they were friends) She also had just bought a brand new piano. This left her with her Kimball "upright" She told my Mom the piano was in good shape......and she wanted our family to have it knowing full well Mom wanted us to have a piano. NOW my Mom was in tears! My Dad was at home and she was pas excited as I've ever seen her! She went rushing into the den and told him.....as his jaw dropped open! That piano stayed with our family until just a few years ago! I will NEVER EVER forget my Mom's trememdous Faith!

--hide--
Jerry, that is a beautiful story. You must have them cataloged in your computer memory. How do you remember them all? It is funny but when I really need or want something that is important for someone else, God seems to hear my thoughts. I was thinking that I wanted a toy box for Neill's bedroom. There isn't a lot of space but I had designed in my head a little chair where the seat lifted up and toys could be stored. I was at Marshall's Dept Store and there it was made of that imitation material that looks like leather but is washable and marked down! Perfect! My story is not as heartwarming as yours but important in my world knowing that God listens to the small requests as well as the big ones. Sometimes I think I have a red phone direct to God...no need for speed dial. Eileen
Mar 6th 2013 new

(Quote) Eileen-890971 said: Jerry, that is a beautiful story. You must have them cataloged in your computer memory. How do you reme...
(Quote) Eileen-890971 said: Jerry, that is a beautiful story. You must have them cataloged in your computer memory. How do you remember them all? It is funny but when I really need or want something that is important for someone else, God seems to hear my thoughts. I was thinking that I wanted a toy box for Neill's bedroom. There isn't a lot of space but I had designed in my head a little chair where the seat lifted up and toys could be stored. I was at Marshall's Dept Store and there it was made of that imitation material that looks like leather but is washable and marked down! Perfect! My story is not as heartwarming as yours but important in my world knowing that God listens to the small requests as well as the big ones. Sometimes I think I have a red phone direct to God...no need for speed dial. Eileen
--hide--
Oh....the LONG-TERM memory serves me well....sometimes. But the SHORT-TERM one.....forget it! laughing

Mar 6th 2013 new

My Mom had a routine of saying the Rosary and meditation daily. In all, she would spend about an hour. She quietly did this for years. Dad would read from the Bible....but spent little time with the Rosary....from what I remember.

After she passed away I was once going over to the assisted living facility where my Father lived. I had a key to his back door. But I always knocked first. My Father could not hear if he wasn't wearing his hearing-aid. This time he did not have it on either. I opened the door and there he was in his recliner in the dark. When I turned the lights on I saw the Rosary in his right hand. I said loudly (so he COULD hear) "Pop whatcha doing sitting here in the dark?" He said, "I'm picking up where your Mom left off" He did not see me "tearing up" because he was mostly blind. I thought "What a wonderful thing" (I also think in those 15 months he was alive he became very close to God)

Mar 6th 2013 new

Okay. Now one more humorous. And maybe one I've told. My Father had acquired a lady doctor in his last two years. She only worked with elderly patients....and Dad was one of her favorites. She was extremely gentle and so nice with him. She was perhaps in her mid to late 40's. Our family was grateful she kept him comfortable and alive in those 2 years. Since my Father only knew her voice and manner (since he was blind) he really liked her.

On the Monday of the week he died I was to take him to see her. Course after seeing him she hospitalized him. (his heart conditon was worsening and lesions on his spine had caused him to lose his walking ability...so he was in a wheelchair) In all, blind, deaf and unable to walk....coupled with acute heart pain. (he was indeed a real trooper and my hero!)

Anyway, I had him dressed and in his chair. He then said, "Could you go get a brush...and brush my hair Jer?" I said sure. (which required a trip to his bathroom.) I came back...and then he said, "Could you get some hairspray?" (another trip!) When I made him presentable he then said, "Could you get some of my cologne?" (yet another trip) I said, "Yeah....I could have done..." and then stopped myself. I then asked him why he was trying to look so perfect. He replied, "Well Dr Mary needs to see me at my best" I then smiled and said, "Oh....I get it! But you know what Pop she IS married and in her 40's right?" He said, "I know that! Just want to look good" I said, "Oooookaaaayyy" lol!

Mar 6th 2013 new
(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: Okay. Now one more humorous. And maybe one I've told. My Father had acquired a lady doctor in his last two ...
(Quote) Jerry-730726 said:

Okay. Now one more humorous. And maybe one I've told. My Father had acquired a lady doctor in his last two years. She only worked with elderly patients....and Dad was one of her favorites. She was extremely gentle and so nice with him. She was perhaps in her mid to late 40's. Our family was grateful she kept him comfortable and alive in those 2 years. Since my Father only knew her voice and manner (since he was blind) he really liked her.

On the Monday of the week he died I was to take him to see her. Course after seeing him she hospitalized him. (his heart conditon was worsening and lesions on his spine had caused him to lose his walking ability...so he was in a wheelchair) In all, blind, deaf and unable to walk....coupled with acute heart pain. (he was indeed a real trooper and my hero!)

Anyway, I had him dressed and in his chair. He then said, "Could you go get a brush...and brush my hair Jer?" I said sure. (which required a trip to his bathroom.) I came back...and then he said, "Could you get some hairspray?" (another trip!) When I made him presentable he then said, "Could you get some of my cologne?" (yet another trip) I said, "Yeah....I could have done..." and then stopped myself. I then asked him why he was trying to look so perfect. He replied, "Well Dr Mary needs to see me at my best" I then smiled and said, "Oh....I get it! But you know what Pop she IS married and in her 40's right?" He said, "I know that! Just want to look good" I said, "Oooookaaaayyy" lol!

--hide--
I love your stories Jerry because I can see them happening through your words like a motion picture. You make them real....my story is about my dad since you are talking about yours. My dad was not a conversationalist but a doer. He was trying to impress my little brother one day. Joey had bought a mini bike. All of a sudden, here Dad is on this little bike gunning the motor and taking off. I don't think he took into account the city was paving our dirt road and had graded it and there was a pretty big drop from our land to the street. MAN OH MAN! MY DAD WAS FLYING!!!! We were all laughing so hard we were crying! I think he drove to the end of the street to collect himself because he never got back on that bike! Eileen
Mar 6th 2013 new
(Quote) Eileen-890971 said: I love your stories Jerry because I can see them happening through your words like a motion picture. You make the...
(Quote) Eileen-890971 said: I love your stories Jerry because I can see them happening through your words like a motion picture. You make them real....my story is about my dad since you are talking about yours. My dad was not a conversationalist but a doer. He was trying to impress my little brother one day. Joey had bought a mini bike. All of a sudden, here Dad is on this little bike gunning the motor and taking off. I don't think he took into account the city was paving our dirt road and had graded it and there was a pretty big drop from our land to the street. MAN OH MAN! MY DAD WAS FLYING!!!! We were all laughing so hard we were crying! I think he drove to the end of the street to collect himself because he never got back on that bike! Eileen
--hide--
I am sure he was saying his prayers that day. He was very stoic in church, paid attention and was friends with the priest. We could never understand that he could spend time talking to Father but had a hard time talking to us kids. He would always get a charge out of word play actually butchering the English language. He did speak fluent Polish though and would not teach us kids. He said he didn't want to make us "different". Little did he know, we already were. Well, one day after church, he said "you guys stay in the car, I have to see Father at the rectum." WE WERE HOWLING! crazy Daddy. He would do that occasionally and always catch us off guard. I miss you Dad. Eileen
Posts 61 - 70 of 75