Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion for anyone who adheres to the Extraordinary form of the mass and any issues related to the practices of Eastern Rite Catholicism.

Saint Athanasius is counted as one of the four Great Doctors of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Athanasius

03/02/2013 new
GOD HAS A PLAN: It's not our plan for the Church, it's HIS plan. We need only have faith.

"Listen carefully. There is a mother who is embroidering. Her son sitting on a low stool sees her work, but upside down. He sees the knots of the embroidery, the tangled threads and says, "Mother, what are you doing? Your work is not at all clear." Then the mother lowers the embroidery frame and shows the good part of her work. Each color is in its place and the variety of threads form a harmonious design. We are seeing the reverse side of the embroidery; we are sitting on the low stool."

- St. Pio (Padre Pio of Pietrelcina)

Let's keep this in mind!
03/02/2013 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: GOD HAS A PLAN: It's not our plan for the Church, it's HIS plan. We need only have faith.
(Quote) David-364112 said: GOD HAS A PLAN: It's not our plan for the Church, it's HIS plan. We need only have faith.

"Listen carefully. There is a mother who is embroidering. Her son sitting on a low stool sees her work, but upside down. He sees the knots of the embroidery, the tangled threads and says, "Mother, what are you doing? Your work is not at all clear." Then the mother lowers the embroidery frame and shows the good part of her work. Each color is in its place and the variety of threads form a harmonious design. We are seeing the reverse side of the embroidery; we are sitting on the low stool."

- St. Pio (Padre Pio of Pietrelcina)

Let's keep this in mind!
--hide--

I have heard this story many times in Opus Dei recollections. We must be listening to the same priests. Oh wait!!!!! We are. laughing laughing laughing laughing

03/02/2013 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: I was right that the man who would be elected after JP2 would take the name Benedict XVI based on...
(Quote) John-220051 said:

I was right that the man who would be elected after JP2 would take the name Benedict XVI based on my deduction of the underused papal names of the 20th century. So let you be right about this.

Say the next Pope picks Lando II. Then what? LOL.
--hide--

Lando II, eh?

"You've got an awful lot of guts coming back here after what you pulled." youtu.be

03/02/2013 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: One of today's headlines on Drudge, is that Cardinal Dolan is the man. And so ...
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

One of today's headlines on Drudge, is that Cardinal Dolan is the man.

And so the silly season continues.

I only make one prediction.

No matter who is elected, there will be one of more voices raised objecting to his election. Some will go so far as to say that there were irregularities. And without a doubt, the SSPX will continue to insist that the chair of Peter is vacant.

--hide--

The SSPX is not Sedevacantist, unlike the SSPV. In fact, Bishop Fellay, the Superior General of the SSPX, has asked all members to pray a Novena for the election of a new Pontiff. The novena, from March 1st to March 9th, consists of the Veni Creator Spiritus, the collect from the votive mass for the election of a new Pope, and three invocations.

Come to think of it, praying this might not be a bad idea for the rest of us as well.

angelqueen.org

The Novena itself:

www.dici.org

03/02/2013 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: Don't believe media reports. In the 1978 conclaves that elected John Paul I and John Paul II media sp...
(Quote) John-220051 said: Don't believe media reports. In the 1978 conclaves that elected John Paul I and John Paul II media speculation proved inaccurate.

It's likely going to be a surprise.
--hide--

the old adage is that whoever walks into the conclave the next pope, walks back out still a cardinal.

03/02/2013 new

(Quote) Steven-706921 said: The SSPX is not Sedevacantist, unlike the SSPV. In fact, Bishop Fellay, the Superior Ge...
(Quote) Steven-706921 said:

The SSPX is not Sedevacantist, unlike the SSPV. In fact, Bishop Fellay, the Superior General of the SSPX, has asked all members to pray a Novena for the election of a new Pontiff. The novena, from March 1st to March 9th, consists of the Veni Creator Spiritus, the collect from the votive mass for the election of a new Pope, and three invocations.

Come to think of it, praying this might not be a bad idea for the rest of us as well.

angelqueen.org

The Novena itself:

www.dici.org

--hide--

but no matter who's elected pope, these groups will raise their voices in a howl of anger and despair. why is that?

could it be THEY are on the wrong side of history?

scratchchin

03/02/2013 new

Don't take this the wrong way, but I think a Pope from the USA wouldn't be a good thing. The world's just not ready for it, it'd isolate a lot of nations, especially ones with a more extremist Islamic slant.

03/02/2013 new
The extremist Muslim countries hate the pope and the Catholic Church regardless of who it is. That being said I would vote for Dolan. However an American pope is highly unlikely...than again so was Poland...
03/03/2013 new

(Quote) Naomi-698107 said: Don't take this the wrong way, but I think a Pope from the USA wouldn't be a good thing. ...
(Quote) Naomi-698107 said:

Don't take this the wrong way, but I think a Pope from the USA wouldn't be a good thing. The world's just not ready for it, it'd isolate a lot of nations, especially ones with a more extremist Islamic slant.

--hide--

You make a valid point.

03/05/2013 new

Islam is the religion of nations that are culturally and militarily insignificant. If it wasn't for the oil reserves that repose in some of these nations, Islam would have as much of a profile in world affairs as Buddhism or Hinduism, ie., almost none. There's no rush of people from outside the Muslim culture to become Muslims, any more than there is of people from Western-style democracies to emigrate to China or Russia. There is, however, a rush or, if not a rush, at least a steady migration of people in Christian-based cultures to move towards relaxed or diluted forms of Christianity, if not towards non-belief.

The most prominent Christian culture - or culture in general - in the world is the US because everything that happens there is widely reported. And what is happening is that Christians holding prominent positions in that culture are leading some of the moves towards dilution while still claiming to be true to their faith, in particular a president who self-identifies with a nonconformist Protestant style or tradition of Christianity and a Roman Catholic vice-president. If there is a rot in Christianity, the US is where it'll be most visible and easy to point to, eg. same -sex marriage, or the infiltration of evil in the health insurance scheme under the attractive veneer of good, what Bishop Robert Vasa calls giving poisoned water to thirsty people.

Now, who would have the profile or standing to take on the rot, in fact to take on the prominent political and social personalities behind the rot? A 'foreigner' from Europe or Africa or Asia or a home boy who can speak like a prophet about the society in which he was raised and with which, of all the societies of the world, he is the most familiar?

Of course, we all know how prophets are regarded in their own country. An outspoken American pope speaking up about abortion, same-sex marriage, male and celibate priesthood and Obamacare would irritate the Left. The same person speaking up about capital punishment, guns, foreign policy interventions and about the poverty-stricken members of his flock in Mexico taking short cuts to achieve economic security in the US would annoy the Right.

Which American cardinal in his right mind would want to take on this job? In the past, popes were shielded from English-speaking media scrutiny because they were, in the main, Italians who could insist on speaking something otherr than English during an interview and who, in any case, didn't give interviews except under very controlled circumstances because monarchs don't give interviews. It might be different today, monarch or not. There might be a lot more pressure on an American pope, having been raised in a democracy, to wind-down the sheltered-monarch thing a bit and make himself available to the American media, with all the risks that that entails.

Perhaps the conclave, in its liberty to pick any Catholic male for the job, not only a cardinal within the conclave, could go for a trifecta: an American to wade into thorny issues concerning the Left and come into conflict vwith the President, an American to wade into thorny issues concerning the Right and come into conflict with the majority party in the House of Representatives, and an American to wade into that other quagmire, the Middle East (with the Islam thang lurking in the background)?

Are there any Arab Americans in the US order of bishops who might find himself saying to someone overseas during an unexpected phone call, "Ya gotta be kidding. Like I need this like I need a hole in the head."

Posts 11 - 20 of 22