Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Lets say someone has aspergers or some other kind of disability, would you rule them out because they have that?

Feb 21st 2013 new

No, I would not rule the person out. But, I would pray for the discernment and whether or not I truly loved that person. The last part is really the key.

Many beautiful, perfect people get divorced. However, if both parties truly love the other person for who they are in Christ, you can work through the difficultiies.

God Bless,

Will

Feb 21st 2013 new

Hi Will. Many Blessings to you.

Jason, each person is unique in their own way. If you listen to your inner spirit, you will find the answer. Here is a quick story:

One of my most treasured friends was named Ramon. He was born with downs syndrome. Neverthlessless, he showed the closest example of true man.

Interesting enough, everyone looked at him as disabled and lesser than others. He suffered great ridicule from others most of his life.

Here are some of his many strengths:

1. He devoted his life to care for his mother when she needed help the most;
2. He was showed true transparency in love and friendship;
3. He was faithful to the Father will all his heart and soul;
4. He would do anything to help others;
5. And, so many other strengths.

One day, they called me that Ramon suffered a heart attack. I went to see him in intensive care. While there, I began reading the bible in the readings when Jesus was crucified. For some unknown reason, with each word read, I would cry a fountain of tears. Ramon died the next day. It was my impression that the Angels were already there when I went to see Ramon. How amazing that the Angels made a special trip to guide him to his proper place in Heaven.

We have it all wrong Jason how we see/assess the true value of others. My recommendation to you would be to listen to your inner spirit.

Feb 21st 2013 new
(Quote) Jason-441235 said: Lets say someone has aspergers or some other kind of disability, would you rule them out because they have that...
(Quote) Jason-441235 said:

Lets say someone has aspergers or some other kind of disability, would you rule them out because they have that?

--hide--
No I wouldn't rule them out
Feb 21st 2013 new

Lots and lots of people with disabilities have had success here.. It may take you longer to find the right fit, but don't get discouraged and just keep trying. My personal opinion is that everyone is 'disabled' in some way.. Some disabilities are just more visible than others.. Emotional disabilities are not as visible as physical ones. (some people call it baggage and everybody carries some of it.)

Feb 21st 2013 new

I wouldn't rule them out. I would pray for God's guidance and let Him lead me.

Feb 21st 2013 new

(Quote) Donna-83441 said: Lots and lots of people with disabilities have had success here.. It may take you longer to find t...
(Quote) Donna-83441 said:

Lots and lots of people with disabilities have had success here.. It may take you longer to find the right fit, but don't get discouraged and just keep trying. My personal opinion is that everyone is 'disabled' in some way.. Some disabilities are just more visible than others.. Emotional disabilities are not as visible as physical ones. (some people call it baggage and everybody carries some of it.)

--hide--
Wow Donna! I never thought of it that way. Thank you biggrin

Feb 21st 2013 new

Jason, I think whether someone can deal with a spouse's disability may depend alot of the disability, and the person.

I think Aspergers is an interesting example, because it involves not being able to read others' emotions well. In a marriage, knowing when your wife is happy or sad or upset might be a pretty necessary skill set. Maybe there is a woman who can get used to saying "I am happy now" etc. and that could work.

I think someone who was very active might have more trouble living with someone who as a disability with walking.

Someone who talks a mile a minute and is very verbal might have difficulty with someone who stutters.

So it really depends. I don't think that is a character flaw or a judgment, I think people are entitled to decide who they want to live their lives with, day in and day out.

I think that if one is called to marriage, that God will provide the "lid for your pot" if you know what I mean.

Feb 21st 2013 new

Something to bear in mind:

Even if you manage to marry someone who's in great health, he/she can lose that in an instant (car or bike accident, for example) or over time (cancer, aging, early Alzheimer's).

Feb 21st 2013 new

(Quote) Donna-83441 said: Lots and lots of people with disabilities have had success here.. It may take you longer to find t...
(Quote) Donna-83441 said:

--hide--

This is soooo TRUE.

Posts 1 - 10 of 61