Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

error: Post not found!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Feb 21st 2013 new
(Quote) Carlos-942428 said: One of my most treasured friends was named Ramon. He was born with downs syndrome. Neverthlessless, he...
(Quote) Carlos-942428 said:

One of my most treasured friends was named Ramon. He was born with downs syndrome. Neverthlessless, he showed the closest example of true man.

Interesting enough, everyone looked at him as disabled and lesser than others. He suffered great ridicule from others most of his life.

Here are some of his many strengths:

1. He devoted his life to care for his mother when she needed help the most;
2. He was showed true transparency in love and friendship;
3. He was faithful to the Father will all his heart and soul;
4. He would do anything to help others;
5. And, so many other strengths.

One day, they called me that Ramon suffered a heart attack. I went to see him in intensive care. While there, I began reading the bible in the readings when Jesus was crucified. For some unknown reason, with each word read, I would cry a fountain of tears. Ramon died the next day. It was my impression that the Angels were already there when I went to see Ramon. How amazing that the Angels made a special trip to guide him to his proper place in Heaven.

We have it all wrong Jason how we see/assess the true value of others. My recommendation to you would be to listen to your inner spirit.

--hide--

Your story was very touching and it made me reflect more of why we are here on earth. He who have the least gained more..that's what Ramon was -- less of a man but gained heaven for being a faithful servant and steward of God.

God bless you for being his friend and for people like Ramon.
Feb 21st 2013 new
No, I would not rule them out.
Feb 21st 2013 new

Thank you Emily.

Ramon is the greatest man I've ever met.

Feb 21st 2013 new

I dated a man in a wheelchair, he was a great guy and we had a blast together...I also dated a man with Aspergers, kindest man I ever met. I wouldn't rule out a disability. I kinda figure we all have something that hinders us. Works in progress wink

Feb 21st 2013 new

Yes, I would date someone with a disability and I have.

Feb 22nd 2013 new

Beautiful story Carlos he must have been a remarkable man.

I dated a man a few months ago that suffers from extreme anxiety and depression. He was up front from the beginning, and in the beginning it was very good. He ended it saying I was too controlling, but that was when the anxiety took over. He would like another chance, but I just can't go there again I went back the first time when he had problems. I really thought I could do it, but I don't want to have to walk on egg shells worrying about what I say. He is a lovely man on his good days. His medication I don't feel works that well for him. He has the disability that you can't see. I really thought at the beginning just maybe he is the one. He has a wonderful sense of humor, spiritual, highly intelligent, kind, generous just everything I was looking for in a man. We still talk occasionally, and my heart goes out to him I just can't be in a relationship with him. I feel guilty for feeling this way.

My first husband was perfectly normal for our first 20 years of marriage, but he ended up with multiple sclerosis and in a wheel chair. You don't stop loving someone just because they have an illness. A disability can strike anyone at any given time.

Feb 22nd 2013 new

(Quote) Elizabeth-945928 said: I dated a man in a wheelchair, he was a great guy and we had a blast together...I also dated ...
(Quote) Elizabeth-945928 said:

I dated a man in a wheelchair, he was a great guy and we had a blast together...I also dated a man with Aspergers, kindest man I ever met. I wouldn't rule out a disability. I kinda figure we all have something that hinders us. Works in progress

--hide--

I have a dear (non-Catholic/atheist) friend who is in a wheelchair. He is still an extremely well respected and successful litigator, excessively handsome, lives and cares for himself independently and makes no excuses for his disability that he got in a sledding accident. I will tell you that he has no problems getting dates and is often beating them off with a stick. I think that his biggest success is his aura of confidence and independence. ( certainly not his humility laughing laughing laughing He won't mind me saying that as he knows it is true and I say it to his face all the time) He is always asking me to vet his female potentials and I will tell you that most able-bodied guys would fall off a wall if they saw the women lining up at his door.

As Catholic men who understand the truth and how to treat a woman with dignity, you have so much more to give to a woman than 99% of men out there. Let that allow you to be bold and confident and the right women will come not matter your perceived flaws.

Feb 22nd 2013 new

(Quote) Jason-441235 said: Lets say someone has aspergers or some other kind of disability, would you rule them out because ...
(Quote) Jason-441235 said:

Lets say someone has aspergers or some other kind of disability, would you rule them out because they have that?

--hide--

My mother and I were just having that conversation regarding the Pistorius trial and my mother wondered why the girl he killed was with him in the first place. Aren't we all "disabled" or imperfect in some way? So no, I wouldn't automatically rule a man out based on that.

Feb 22nd 2013 new
(Quote) Carlos-942428 said: Thank you Emily. Ramon is the greatest man I've ever met.
(Quote) Carlos-942428 said:

Thank you Emily.

Ramon is the greatest man I've ever met.

--hide--
Carlos, I have a disabled middle child and two normal (as far as that goes!) boys and all are two years apart. My oldest was a senior in high school and had to do a report on "who do you admire most" he chose his brother Neill. Chris said Neill taught him patience, unconditional love, humility, kindness, responsibility and the ability to accept people as they are. I thought that was a great tribute and will never forget it. Chris has befriended all kinds of people in his life, seeing them for who they are. > Eileen
Feb 22nd 2013 new

Hi There,
No I would not. I live in chronic pain. Although, I do practice pain management and try to stay positive. I know what it is to think that no one will want me after they discover my "secret". I have lost so much do to my condition, but am not giving up! :)
Elizabeth

Posts 11 - 20 of 61