Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Feb 22nd 2013 new

(Quote) Clarissa-945304 said: So, I am new to Catholic Match, and new to an online dating in general. I was curious what you...
(Quote) Clarissa-945304 said:

So, I am new to Catholic Match, and new to an online dating in general. I was curious what you all considered a "long distance" relationship and driving distance? If I understand correctly I am assuming driving distance is less than a days drive? This is very vague to me and I was just curious what others thought about this?

--hide--

I really think its going to come down to each individuals personal preference. I'm a person that doesn't mind driving and 6 to 8 hours would be easy for me to do, whereas someone else might not even go 30 minutes. If you really like someone and care about them, I don't think the distance is going to matter in my opinion. It is a good talking point to bring up to someone that you talk too on here so you are both on the same page.

Feb 22nd 2013 new

(Quote) Leon-593843 said: Clarissa,Hello fellow Texan and welcome to the forums. You are wise to participate in the ...
(Quote) Leon-593843 said:

Clarissa,

Hello fellow Texan and welcome to the forums. You are wise to participate in the forums either initiating a thread or participating in the forums. There is also a chat feature available in the evenings, blogs and other resources. The forums are a great way of making your presence felt.

Regarding your thread - Clarissa, you will get as many different answers as people responding. Some consider long distance travelling outside of their zip code. Seriously, I would venture anything taking up to a half day in travel (one way) driving distance while more than a day long distance. Remember, travelling in Texas is so much different than in other states. For example, from Houston to El Paso is about 8 hours driving time and once there you are in another time zone and still not out of Texas. Outside of Texas, one could drive through several states in that time. So, it is all relative to the individual.

I pray your journey is a complete success. You will meet some great people on this site.

Blessings,

Leon

--hide--
wave Just wondering? Haven't we been down this Road before (thread wise)? laughing laughing

Feb 22nd 2013 new

She's new and let's be honest... these threads are NOT the easiest to navigate or search.....

Feb 22nd 2013 new

(Quote) Clarissa-945304 said: So, I am new to Catholic Match, and new to an online dating in general. I was curious what you...

So, I am new to Catholic Match, and new to an online dating in general. I was curious what you all considered a "long distance" relationship and driving distance? If I understand correctly I am assuming driving distance is less than a days drive? This is very vague to me and I was just curious what others thought about this?

--hide--

For me, driving distance can mean both. It's not so much the distance as it is the expectations of how often you want to meet. If you expect to be able to meet someone for dinner in the middle of the week, driving distance is probably limited to an hour after getting off of work. Any more than that and you're already long distance. If you're ok with seeing someone on the weekends, less than a day's drive will likely be long distance and driving distance.

Feb 22nd 2013 new
(Quote) Clarissa-945304 said: So, I am new to Catholic Match, and new to an online dating in general. I was curious what you all considere...

--hide--

I was dating someone about 70 miles away, who didn't drive and didn't like mass transit. That 70 miles was a minimum of 90 minutes and occasionally ran to 3 hours (depending on traffic). While that does not sound bad, if both people either drive or are comfortable on the mass transit of the area, it becomes troublesome if there is one driver in the pair. there were some weekends where I would drive down, pick her up, bring her to my area for afew hours, and return her home. 3-4 hours in travel time, 3-4 hour date, 3-4 hour travel time. While two hours, one way, is not bad, it gets tiresome, on a regular basis, to be the only one doing the driving. Particularly every weekend.

So, when someone says 8-10 hours driving is reasonable, I wonder if that is the round trip time, includes hotel stays. I would get concerned with doing an 8 hour workday on a Friday, driving 4-6 hours and hitting up a hotel, for a date the next day, with a 4-6 hour return. Gas, and hotel bills do add up. "long distance" is not an easy relationship. Travel costs, phone calls cost. The lack of phyisically being in the same room on a regular basis also is a bit of a strain.
Feb 23rd 2013 new
Hello Clarissa....I would think this is up to the individual. My definition of too long of driving distance may be 2 hours and for someone it may be 20 minutes. I guess it all depends. I try the searches and I try to stay close to home but I don't find many men that fit me so I'm expanding my area but I need to realize that it may not be good for who I want to correspond with so I always look at the part that talks about long distance relationship etc to see if they would even be interested if I live a little ways away. Good luck!
Feb 24th 2013 new

--hide--

I actually put driving distance on mine and I'm not exactly sure what I meant by it. I guess I wouldn't want to have to drive more than a few hours to meet someone. I had a long-distance relationship (5+ hour drive) with someone I ended up marrying, only to find out the distance allowed her to hide the fact that she was bi-polar. I'm not saying all long-distance relationships are bad, but they're much harder to make work.

Posts 11 - 17 of 17