Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Mama's Boy? Daddy's Girl?

02/22/2013 new

Have you any experience with a relationship that was adversely impacted* by the behavior of the partner's parent(s) or other relatives?

* = inconvenienced, derailed, sabotaged, etc., etc..

02/22/2013 new

(Quote) Marge-938695 said: Have you any experience with a relationship that was adversely impacted* by the behavior of the p...
(Quote) Marge-938695 said:

Have you any experience with a relationship that was adversely impacted* by the behavior of the partner's parent(s) or other relatives?

* = inconvenienced, derailed, sabotaged, etc., etc..

--hide--

YES!!!! Had a boyfriend whose mom was that exact mom from Monster in Law the movie. Everytime I see that movie I cringe as it is so uncanningly similar. (No I am not a dog walker) He even used to say the line from the movie " Why do you think my Mom hates you she loves you?" even after she made some wildly inappropriate comment in his presence or accosted me out of his hearing. She had to be called daily by a certain time. ( We were in college mind you) Okay I will stop. Charity in all things.

02/22/2013 new

Not so much me, but I think of my younger sister. She married a nice guy, but his mom is kinda flakey. She has a habit of dropping in on them early and unannounced, never asked my sister how she was feeling when she was pregnant, instead spoke of her own aches and pains. She embarrassed my sister at her baby shower by measuring her waist in front of everyone for a "guessing game" that no one really wanted to play...She also kept saying what a miracle it was that my sister had a baby because of her age (42), making her sound like a biblical character. My sister said she's not like any mom she's ever known.

His mom also drove me a little batty when I was planning her bridal shower...My brother-in-law actually prefers to spend time with our family instead of his own. He finds her hard to take at times too!

02/23/2013 new

YES, my former husband is the "golden boy" and can do no wrong in the eyes of his parents. His brother is the "scapegoat" and his parents treat him like an outcast. The family is SOO dysfunctional...they also have an alcoholic daughter and are raising the two boys she had out of wedlock because she is so incapable. Family's can be so incredibly dysfunctional and it effects EVERYONE.

Posts 1 - 4 of 4