Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Mar 5th 2013 new

I like Cheryl's outlook. Anyway, it's hard enough facing the media without having fellow Catholics criticize the church. And how are we supposed to attract new, and good priests when Catholics themselves don't respect the cloth. Not to mention, I won't have a word said against the cloth, no matter what happens. I will stand by the church. I may not stand with each and every priest, but I will stand by the priesthood.

Mar 5th 2013 new

(Quote) Marissa-529206 said: I know that Philadelphia has incurred a great many lawsuits. And what people in America don'...
(Quote) Marissa-529206 said:

I know that Philadelphia has incurred a great many lawsuits. And what people in America don't understand is when they sue the church...it is the lay people, the devout that suffer. I feel for you greatly. One thing came to my mind. And I hope you don't think that I'm trying to opportunize on your misfortune. There are so many places in America that need a good church building. I live near Joplin, MO. The tornado destroyed St. Mary's(although it was modern and hideous). They will have to rebuild. They want a traditional church now. But perhaps all of the beautiful artwork in your church could find a new home. You would be in essence building a brand new church for people who might not have one. I know church artwork is moved all the time. I don't know what the expense would be. But if I were told about a project like that, I would jump at the chance to make sure something was preserved and to donate as much as I could. And if I belonged to the church that received it I would certainly consider making a plaque or a special devotion area in honor of the members of the church that closed. In essence, even though the church isn't there, the members of it would live on in a new location. Maybe there are country churches being built outside of the Philadelphia area that need statues. Now my suggestion is for if there is nothing left to be done and it must be closed. Perhaps you could suggest it to the priest. I've learned from the members at St. Mary's in Joplin that to commission a new statue of Mary and Joseph is going to be expensive. It would be much easier to pay for the transfer of existing statues that will probably either be sold or stored.

--hide--
That is a nice sacrificial thought especially since the art work would stay with our faith rather than be torn apart into who knows what. I just hope things work out for them and it doesn't come to it though.

Mar 5th 2013 new

The secular media is already doing that. I've heard about the church closings in Pennsylvania. They made it sound like the church was punishing their congregations. They completely failed to mention that the Diocese of Philadelphia is bankrupt. I don't know what they are going to do. The priests don't get paid anything....They are trying not to close schools...but that's already happening. And the HHS mandate will bring larger money issues if it goes through. At least they have priests. Down here priests cover several churches. We don't have priests. And we certainly don't have the option of which church we can go to....there aren't many. And there is only 1 Mass....if you miss it, that's it!

Mar 5th 2013 new

(Quote) Marissa-529206 said: The secular media is already doing that. I've heard about the church closings in Pennsylvan...

The secular media is already doing that. I've heard about the church closings in Pennsylvania. They made it sound like the church was punishing their congregations. They completely failed to mention that the Diocese of Philadelphia is bankrupt. I don't know what they are going to do. The priests don't get paid anything....They are trying not to close schools...but that's already happening. And the HHS mandate will bring larger money issues if it goes through. At least they have priests. Down here priests cover several churches. We don't have priests. And we certainly don't have the option of which church we can go to....there aren't many. And there is only 1 Mass....if you miss it, that's it!

--hide--

Wow, Marissa,

Thank you for sharing and giving us another perspective. What is happening to our faith is so sad and part of the reason is that people have the misconception that everyone is saved and will go to heaven. My mom said recently that someone told her that you dont' have to be baptised...my mom doesn't evangelize which is probably another reason why I'm the only Catholic left in the family. The problem is that this is a misunderstanding....I believe the church teaching is that there are a lot of conditions that have to go along with an unbaptized person making it into heaven....like they never had the opportunity of learning about Jesus.

Mar 5th 2013 new

(Quote) Marissa-529206 said: The secular media is already doing that. I've heard about the church closings in Pennsylvan...

--hide--

Hi Marissa ... I have lived here all my life and I never heard that the Archdiocese here was bankrupt ... I'm pretty much up on all the news and I know that has never been announced or said here ... If there was news like that, it would have caused such an uproar, as Catholcis make up a large pct of the population here ....

Mar 5th 2013 new

Sure, I'm still angry as can be about the whole thing. It becomes very difficult not to be cynical about the Church, but how else can one feel when the pastor attributes a parish closing to what he calls "the holy spirit"?

The media are all over the place. Some think that the media are this spectre out to destroy the Church. That is true of some of the media, but not all of them. I don't subscribe to the Manichean view of media bad, church good. Or church bad, media good. If a bishop listens and does what's right, then don't go to the media. If the bishop, pastor or whoever ignores problems, then go to the media.

(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said: Sean,You sound awfully bitter. Remember if you are not part of the solution then you are...
(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said:

Sean,

You sound awfully bitter. Remember if you are not part of the solution then you are part of the problem You can through the proper channels request that the church remain open...I never said you couldn't. I even said that I once wrote my own letter regarding an issue. All that I have ever said is that I draw the line at involving the secular media into our Church issues. They don't understand and will twist it and make it look like our Church is bad and we have loss enough sheep. Those sheep don't understand either that the decisions made at the top are not the sacraments. I also said that I'm in agreement with other posters who have said that while we sympathize with the OP and it is sad, we also understand the reasons this might be happening.

--hide--

Mar 5th 2013 new

--hide--

Well, it's somewhat similar to a bankrupt government trying to raid pension funds. When the ones at the top who are used to throwing money around at friends and pet projects suddenly don't have that money anymore, they begin to descend on the parishes like vultures. Of course, when the time comes to close a church, the laymen are always to blame for everything. You see, after all, this was a natural process, just like birth, life and death. It's like a dying grandmother, as the priest-closers like to say. I would say the parish closing process is actually closer to euthanasia, something the Church allegedly opposes. But like birth control, who really cares, right? When money's on the line, the men of the cloth will do whatever it takes to rake in the cash.

Priests might not "get paid" anything, that is, in the passive sense. But they may pay themselves quite a bit. I know of too many tales of priests making $30,000 a year who somehow manage to buy condos in Miami. Perhaps the "Holy Spirit" was generous to these holy men and blessed them with a condo. Or maybe not?

Mar 5th 2013 new

(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said: Wow, Marissa,Thank you for sharing and giving us another perspective. What is ha...
(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said:

Wow, Marissa,

Thank you for sharing and giving us another perspective. What is happening to our faith is so sad and part of the reason is that people have the misconception that everyone is saved and will go to heaven. My mom said recently that someone told her that you dont' have to be baptised...my mom doesn't evangelize which is probably another reason why I'm the only Catholic left in the family. The problem is that this is a misunderstanding....I believe the church teaching is that there are a lot of conditions that have to go along with an unbaptized person making it into heaven....like they never had the opportunity of learning about Jesus.

--hide--

The clergy and religious have been infected with the spirit of modernism and materialism and passed that virus on to the laity.

Mar 6th 2013 new
Hi Richard, thank you for your reply. I imagine the closing of your beautiful church, where you have probably had many faith filled moments, is terrible to deal with. Since you don't know where you'll be situated in the future, trust in God, undoubtedly, he knows where he needs you. A good prayer, and one which has changed my life in the past 23 years is the Divine Mercy devotion and message. It's what you need in this time of your life. Go with God. Pat
Mar 6th 2013 new

Plse. check http://www.realcatholictv.com, the vortex. This vdeo will perhaps shed light on the reason churches are closing.
Prayers are on the way.

Posts 161 - 170 of 183