Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Mar 9th 2013 new

Folks .. check out the pics of my church on my profile ... You may get a sense of its old-world style, like chuches used to be!

Mar 9th 2013 new
(Quote) Richard-15378 said: Folks .. check out the pics of my church on my profile ... You may get a sense of its old-world style, like ch...
(Quote) Richard-15378 said:

Folks .. check out the pics of my church on my profile ... You may get a sense of its old-world style, like chuches used to be!

--hide--

I saw them Richard. Your church is beautiful.
Mar 11th 2013 new

Some of our parishioners have retained a canon lawyer and filed an appeal with Rome ... However, rumor has it that the pastor of the church with whom we are to be merged has said that if the lawyerly approach continues, then the Archdiocese will close us down immediately rather than letting our Masses continue until December 1 ...

I guess thay can do that, but isn't that a threat? Are they within their rights to take that position and in essence deny us our relgious due process? ... Doesn't seem evenhanded to me, but they have the hammer ..

I guess they can play hardball if they want ... Oh, man ....

Mar 11th 2013 new
(Quote) Richard-15378 said: Some of our parishioners have retained a canon lawyer and filed an appeal with Rome ... However, rumor has it ...

Some of our parishioners have retained a canon lawyer and filed an appeal with Rome ... However, rumor has it that the pastor of the church with whom we are to be merged has said that if the lawyerly approach continues, then the Archdiocese will close us down immediately rather than letting our Masses continue until December 1 ...

I guess thay can do that, but isn't that a threat? Are they within their rights to take that position and in essence deny us our relgious due process? ... Doesn't seem evenhanded to me, but they have the hammer ..

I guess they can play hardball if they want ... Oh, man ....

--hide--

OMG. The provincial of our order pulled me aside at an event we were having and told me the same thing if I didn't stop talking to the news. I called his bluff and the order stayed until the day they had announced. A bit different situation though.
Mar 15th 2013 new

Gotta say, this whole church thing has gotten me very down ... Makes me wonder about my faith and what I believe in anymore ...

Mar 16th 2013 new

As a somewhat new convert (a recovering Episcopalian) I find it amazing to hear about Catholic churches in some parts of the country closing or dwindling in numbers of attendance. The parish I attend in north central Texas has about 8000 in attendance at the various Sunday masses, and it is still growing. Having Pre-K thru Grade 9 helps, and families in this area want some solid alternatives to the cafeteria style religion down the block and on the tube. (Teaching accountability is so fundamental, yet refreshing to youth.) It is a new church building but built in old world style enough to be called "Vatican West" by some. The newer 'cookie-cutter' architecture seems to advertise exception to tradition and propriety. It is heartbreaking to see the temporal world overcoming lives to this point, as well as the resolute futility coming from Diocesan figures whose guidance we seek for inspiration and hope. I will pray for renewal in the older urban areas as well as growth and stability globally... and remember "where two or three are gathered..."

I have removed a number of recent posts from this topic that were uncharitable and/or constituted detraction toward church leaders. I call your attention to forum rule 4, bullet 2:

Disagreement on an area where the Church permits open debate must be done with respect and charity. Saying the pope was incorrect in allowing altar girls is an example of charitable disagreement. Saying the pope is a neo-Masonic leftist coward who caves to modernity at every turn is not. Saying the pope should allow for a married priesthood is an example of charitable disagreement. Saying the pope is a misogynistic troglodyte bent on the suppression of women's rights is not.

I understand that having one's church closed or merged can be a very painful experience; however, as tempting as it is to lash out at those we feel have wronged us (or others), doing so is not consistent with Christs' teachings and ultimately causes more harm than good. Please consider using St. Pio as a role model of how to respond when being treated unjustly by those in authority.

Mar 16th 2013 new
(Quote) Richard-15378 said: Gotta say, this whole church thing has gotten me very down ... Makes me wonder about my faith and what I belie...

Gotta say, this whole church thing has gotten me very down ... Makes me wonder about my faith and what I believe in anymore ...

--hide--

This could be a test of faith. I'm sure you will pass with flying colors. Keep focused on Jesus.
Mar 16th 2013 new

I feel your hearthache, and sense of potential loss. I'm sure its primarily financial reasons, along with the growing shortage of priests. I wonder if a group offered to buy the church and lease it back to the diocese for a $1 a year, if they would be open to it. It would all depend on the financial resources of concerned people like yourself in the parish, who might be open to such a thing. It might be prudent to consider buying the church from a pure historical perspective, and getting it registered in the National Registry of Historical Places, and obtain grant money for its preservation and perhaps a history museum for educational purposes on site. Some things to think about.

Mar 16th 2013 new

(Quote) Josephine-586127 said: Bryan, a church is not just a building. It's a community. It's a community of people...
(Quote) Josephine-586127 said:

Bryan, a church is not just a building. It's a community. It's a community of people who love and care for each other as a family. When a church is closed, that family like community is broken up, without any say about it. This is after they have financially supported that church. The community rarely stays together or go to another church together. You wouldn't understand the turmoil, huheaval and especially the maltreatment unless you've been through.

Having been through an UNJUST closure, I can assure you, the church is infinetely much more that the physical building.
--hide--

I fully agree with this. Although the church is not a building, when it is closed the body of Christ, the community is broken. And only those who have gone through this turmoil can understand and emphatize with someone whose church has closed. My church was recently closed with no consultation from the parishioners. This church had paid all its debts. Although a small church, it was always well attended by a vibrant community who cared for one another. Anyone who came to our parish saw the difference in our community. The people were generous with their time and money. We were a close knit community, and after Sunday mass all the people stayed over to chat over a cuppa. We used to have meetings and organise working bees to maintain the church. And yet, without any warning this church was closed. We were given less than 2 weeks before we had our last mass and the church gates locked. We had no decree, yet our church was closed.

Our community, "the body of Christains" no longer exists. Some have totally left the faith disillusioned with the blatant lies told to us. Some have joined other denominations, while others have gone to different neighbouring churches. I appealed to the Congregation of the Clergy in Rome. They agreed that the procedure was not correct and asked the local priest and the bishop to follow the procedure to close the church. I then found that the priest was not even appointed as our parish priest. He was appointed as parish priest months after our church was closed - so that he could follow the procedure. Still there was no decree issued. Further appeals would mean a lot of money so we decided against it. But we exposed the lies behind the closure. I have been reading many of the comments here. I can firmly state that our church closure was TOTALLY UNJUST' and done in darkness. eyebrow A report used to close the church was done by the church building body and it stated that the church needed $211145 to update it. Now majority of this calculation was done without any standard measurements. Of this $ 45000 was to put in new garden beds, and $ 45000 for a new carpark, and nearly $60,000 was for painting. If you see our church, the garden is maintained, the church does not need painting. Most of the costs were inflated and much of the work in the past had been done by members of our church community in working bees. Costs for structural repairs were a mere $20000, a sum we could easily rise. Our church was never in arears. A few years ago its boundaries were changed and it was taken over by another parish which had considerable debt. Our church is on prime real estate and is the only big block of land where I live. So our church had to be the sacrificial lamb.

Now I still attend church - I am disillusioned by our church leaders, but my faith in our Lord Jesus remains. I pray for our new Pope that God gives him courage and the spirit of discernment to lead our church.

I hesitate to put in my offering, however contibute to things required for the running of the local church I now attend. For I know that my money was not used for my church. I also contribute to christian charities directly. The Catholic church in Australia funded a boutique guesthouse "Domus Australia" in Rome; the principal funding coming from the archdioceses of Sydney, Melbourne and Perth and from the diocese of Lismore. shocked This was estimated to cost between $ 30 million and $85 million according to different estimates. "Yet Catholics of the four dioceses were not consulted and there was no prospect of a reasonable financial return and no accountability." rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes

Did our Sunday thanksgiving go to support our churches and its activities or was it used to cover up the sex scandals and the building of a boutique guesthouse in Rome??????

Of course parishioners will be angry. What would Jesus say if he was here today is a question I ask myself.

Richard, you and your people are in my prayers. Praying Praying Praying Do not give up hopes, but ultimately surrender all to our loving Father. He suffers with you...

Read more: www.smh.com.au

Posts 171 - 180 of 183