Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

02/22/2013 new

Richard,

Keep positive, pray and don't lose faith. They had closed several churches here in the Cleveland area. I think it was 50 in the diocese, 12 have been picked to re-open. There was so much joy. I attend a church (not my regular church) in the city on Wednesday nights for a 5:30 mass. The priest (Fr. Gary Chmura) there volunteered to be one of the priests who have 2 parishes. He was glad to do it. One Wednesday night, he spoke of the love that those people had for their church, it was heartwarming.

You never know what is going to happen. Keep praying. Praying Praying Praying

02/22/2013 new

(Quote) Joan-529855 said: Yeah, don't you just love that word, "merge". The parish that my entire family was b...
(Quote) Joan-529855 said:

Yeah, don't you just love that word, "merge". The parish that my entire family was baptized in was "merged" with a parish 5 miles away; the furnishings were sold, the building was torn down and the land was sold. The amazing thing is that our parish was in the black and the neighboring parish we merged with was in the RED. The diocesan plan was for the people from our parish to become "contributing" members of the merged parish and bring them out of the red. Why not just "merge" the neighboring parish with our parish and SHUT their parish down? It could NOT have been the value of the land because the land on either site was worth the same. Our parish had MORE contributing members than the neighboring parish. The only difference between the two parishes is that our parish supported the local Catholic high school and the other parish didn't. Evidentally the diocese doesn't support parishes that contribute to a Catholic education . I am very sorry that you are having to go through this. One of my neighbors was so distraught that he died of a heart attack the day the announcement of the "merger" was made. Instead of becoming a contributing member of the parish 5 miles away most parishioners started attending mass at the university Newman Center 25 miles away, in a DIFFERENT diocese (across state lines). They made sure that their contributions would never go to the diocese that shut their parish down. They continue to support their local Catholic high school by contributing directly to the school. BTW, these are NOT financially poor people, as a matter of fact they are quite wealthy. Any efforts to thwart the diocesan decision were met with contempt (similar to your experience). Because of our parishes experience other local parishes braced for their turn and had lawyers waiting in the wings so when their were rumors that their parish could be on the chopping block they went into action, threatening the diocese before they could make a decision. Sorry, it is likely too late for that and your parishes fate has already been determined. Blessings to you...

--hide--

Hi Joan ...this all reminds me of Shakespeare ... "Oh, what a tangled web we weave ....." ... Do we see a pattern here??? Guess they're consistent f nothing else ...

02/22/2013 new
(Quote) Sean-851370 said: Get decrees from the archdiocese regarding the merger of parish and closing of the church. Sometime...
(Quote) Sean-851370 said:

Get decrees from the archdiocese regarding the merger of parish and closing of the church. Sometimes those are contained in the same document. You should send a certified letter to the archdiocese asking for these decrees. You have 15 days after receiving notice of the decrees to appeal them to the bishop. If the bishop rejects your appeals, then I believe you have 30 days to appeal to the Congregation for the Clergy, not the CDF as I wrote in an earlier post. There is a certain canon lawyer in Rome you should get to handle the appeals, especially if you have to appeal to the Vatican. Getting this particular canon lawyer is your best approach. At any rate, you have to appeal the parish merger and church closing to have any hope at all. If you do not follow Canon Law in trying to stop the parish merger and church closing, you do not have much hope at all.

--hide--

Yes, Sean is correct. Just get that certified letter out asap that you are appealing the decision and are requesting that the Bishop reverse the decision to close or merge your church. It doesn't have to be a legnthy technical letter. If you pass the 15 day deadline, send it out anyway. Then get working on your appeal to the Congregation of the Clergy. You can find copies of other appeals just to look at on line.
02/22/2013 new

(Quote) Carolyn-896104 said: Richard,Keep positive, pray and don't lose faith. They had closed several churches ...
(Quote) Carolyn-896104 said:

Richard,

Keep positive, pray and don't lose faith. They had closed several churches here in the Cleveland area. I think it was 50 in the diocese, 12 have been picked to re-open. There was so much joy. I attend a church (not my regular church) in the city on Wednesday nights for a 5:30 mass. The priest (Fr. Gary Chmura) there volunteered to be one of the priests who have 2 parishes. He was glad to do it. One Wednesday night, he spoke of the love that those people had for their church, it was heartwarming.

You never know what is going to happen. Keep praying.

--hide--

Thanks, Carolyn ... Our first little group that was trying to mobilize has sort of fallen by the way .... But a friend of mine who is a guy who never says never is now starting to pull something together .... He likes to tilt at windmills .. I will join with hiim to see what we can do ... Maybe we can repeat the Cleveland Experience!

02/22/2013 new
(Quote) Joan-529855 said: Yeah, don't you just love that word, "merge". The parish that my entire family was baptized in wa...
(Quote) Joan-529855 said:

Yeah, don't you just love that word, "merge". The parish that my entire family was baptized in was "merged" with a parish 5 miles away; the furnishings were sold, the building was torn down and the land was sold. The amazing thing is that our parish was in the black and the neighboring parish we merged with was in the RED. The diocesan plan was for the people from our parish to become "contributing" members of the merged parish and bring them out of the red. Why not just "merge" the neighboring parish with our parish and SHUT their parish down? It could NOT have been the value of the land because the land on either site was worth the same. Our parish had MORE contributing members than the neighboring parish. The only difference between the two parishes is that our parish supported the local Catholic high school and the other parish didn't. Evidentally the diocese doesn't support parishes that contribute to a Catholic education . I am very sorry that you are having to go through this. One of my neighbors was so distraught that he died of a heart attack the day the announcement of the "merger" was made. Instead of becoming a contributing member of the parish 5 miles away most parishioners started attending mass at the university Newman Center 25 miles away, in a DIFFERENT diocese (across state lines). They made sure that their contributions would never go to the diocese that shut their parish down. They continue to support their local Catholic high school by contributing directly to the school. BTW, these are NOT financially poor people, as a matter of fact they are quite wealthy. Any efforts to thwart the diocesan decision were met with contempt (similar to your experience). Because of our parishes experience other local parishes braced for their turn and had lawyers waiting in the wings so when their were rumors that their parish could be on the chopping block they went into action, threatening the diocese before they could make a decision. Sorry, it is likely too late for that and your parishes fate has already been determined. Blessings to you...

--hide--

Politics. Its all about politics and money. There certainly are favored churches and ours were not the favored churches.

Richard, Joans story about the parishioner who had a heart attack and passed away reminded me of something very important. When you appeal, make sure you have several, at the least, parishioners who sign the documents together. I heard of a group here in NY that appealed their closure and had only one representative sign the appeal. Well, that one rep unfortunately passed away during the appeal process, and so did the appeal for their church.
02/22/2013 new
(Quote) Sean-851370 said: Bishops monkey with debt and will merge parishes in the red with wealthy parishes, sometimes in order to get...
(Quote) Sean-851370 said:

Bishops monkey with debt and will merge parishes in the red with wealthy parishes, sometimes in order to get the wealthy parish in the red so that it can be closed and its assets taken and sold off. In Boston the archdiocese devised a scheme to suppress parishes, whereby the assets of suppressed parishes went to the archdiocese instead of the parish that parishioners from a closed parish joined. Load 'em up with debt and close 'em. Just like the insolvent banks in Europe loaded national governments with debt and now taxpayers are bailing out the governments.

--hide--

The money always goes to the Archdiocese, even though it's legally suppose to go to the absorbing parish. But try to prove it.

And yes, the priests are an asset to the church. I love the humble, self sacrificing priests. Once you get above the level of a priest, it's all politics.
02/22/2013 new

(Quote) Josephine-586127 said: Politics. Its all about politics and money. There certainly are favored churches and ours we...
(Quote) Josephine-586127 said:

Politics. Its all about politics and money. There certainly are favored churches and ours were not the favored churches.

Richard, Joans story about the parishioner who had a heart attack and passed away reminded me of something very important. When you appeal, make sure you have several, at the least, parishioners who sign the documents together. I heard of a group here in NY that appealed their closure and had only one representative sign the appeal. Well, that one rep unfortunately passed away during the appeal process, and so did the appeal for their church.
--hide--

Yes,I will do that if it kills me - LOL!

02/22/2013 new
(Quote) Richard-15378 said: Yes,I will do that if it kills me - LOL!
(Quote) Richard-15378 said:

Yes,I will do that if it kills me - LOL!

--hide--

Oh. Your bad. But glad you're keeping your sense of humor.
02/22/2013 new

(Quote) Josephine-586127 said: The money always goes to the Archdiocese, even though it's legally suppose to go to the ...

The money always goes to the Archdiocese, even though it's legally suppose to go to the absorbing parish. But try to prove it.

And yes, the priests are an asset to the church. I love the humble, self sacrificing priests. Once you get above the level of a priest, it's all politics.
--hide--

These very good priests who sort of toil in anonymity (you know,they do a great job day in and day out without any notoriety) remind me of restaurants .. You know how when you go on vacation somewhere there is alway some eatery with the well-known "name" ...and you go there and it's crowded and the food is so-so and it's overpriced because they are resting on their laurels .. Meanwhile on some side street that only the locals know about there is a small place that has great food and service at reasonable prices ...that's how I see the parish priests, as the hidden gems that don't get the notice while all the higher-ups have the "name" but not much else ...

02/22/2013 new

(Quote) Josephine-586127 said: The money always goes to the Archdiocese, even though it's legally suppose to go to the ...

--hide--

This is exactly why the families are now attending mass and contributing to a parish OUTSIDE their geographical diocese!!

Posts 31 - 40 of 183