Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Feb 22nd 2013 new
(Quote) Richard-15378 said: These very good priests who sort of toil in anonymity (you know,they do a great job day in and day out...
(Quote) Richard-15378 said:

These very good priests who sort of toil in anonymity (you know,they do a great job day in and day out without any notoriety) remind me of restaurants .. You know how when you go on vacation somewhere there is alway some eatery with the well-known "name" ...and you go there and it's crowded and the food is so-so and it's overpriced because they are resting on their laurels .. Meanwhile on some side street that only the locals know about there is a small place that has great food and service at reasonable prices ...that's how I see the parish priests, as the hidden gems that don't get the notice while all the higher-ups have the "name" but not much else ...

--hide--

Yes. The priests in the trenches are truly the gems of the church.

I like the analogy of the restaurants.
Feb 22nd 2013 new
(Quote) Joan-529855 said: This is exactly why the families are now attending mass and contributing to a parish OUTSIDE...
(Quote) Joan-529855 said:

This is exactly why the families are now attending mass and contributing to a parish OUTSIDE their geographical diocese!!

--hide--

I still go to church on Sundays in my area, but my money goes to my favorite Catholic charities. I am also a registered seasonal parishioner in a neighboring diocese because my mother has a house there. I will not tithe to any church that tithes over to the Archdiocese of New York after what they did to us. They will not receive my money. I wish more Catholics would know the power we have with our money. But there are to many "pray, pay and obey" types that will support the diocese's no matter what.
Feb 22nd 2013 new

I haven't read all the posts, but wanted to say, you guys in Philadelphia have a wonderful Archbishop. I lived in Denver for a few years when he was the Archbishop there, and still follow him on FB. I trust him completely. I don't know the reasoning behind his decision, but I would encourage you to trust him. I don't know the details of what was going on in your Archdiocese before Archbishop Chaput, but I heard that Archdiocese was having major problems, and that's why the Pope appointed him there. I'm sure he has a good reason to do what he is doing. The Denver diocese was very strong under his pastoral care.

If Cathedral Basilica of Saints Peter and Paul is not too far from you, I believe the Archbishop celebrates Mass there on a somewhat regular basis now. Have you ever been to one of his Masses? In Denver he celebrated them beautifully and with a lot of reverence - I'm sure it's this way in Philly too. Maybe give it a try one day. I definitely grew in my faith a lot while living in Denver, and still miss attending the Archbishop's Masses every week.

Feb 22nd 2013 new

Your concern is unfortunately a very timely topic! I just returned from a "Town Hall" type meeting concerning the restructuring plan that has been in the works for several years in the Diocese of Evansville, IN.

Several parishes are going to be either merged or turned into oratories, which is nothing more than a polite way of saying, "CLOSED". It's quite a difficult, painful time for the bishop, the priests and the lay faithful. Generations of families have worshipped at these parishes and God alone knows how hard this is for us all.

We must remember above all to continue to act charitably and trust in the good Lord's Plan. Pope Benedict himself (while still Cardinal Ratzinger) prophesied about the future of our Church, a much smaller, purer, livelier, more devout Church. This will arrive only after a great time of trial and purification for the whole Church and for the entire world. Keep you eyes fixed on Jesus.

Feb 22nd 2013 new

A guy in work says that the Cath Church is going to become like other denominations with the big mega-churches only ... He says the more they wipe out these small and mid-size parishes that all we'll have left is some giant amphitheatre where you'll have to drive and drive to get there ...

That sounds warm and fuzzy,no?????????????????????????

Feb 22nd 2013 new

(Quote) Lisa-54615 said: I haven't read all the posts, but wanted to say, you guys in Philadelphia have a wonderful Arch...
(Quote) Lisa-54615 said:

I haven't read all the posts, but wanted to say, you guys in Philadelphia have a wonderful Archbishop. I lived in Denver for a few years when he was the Archbishop there, and still follow him on FB. I trust him completely. I don't know the reasoning behind his decision, but I would encourage you to trust him. I don't know the details of what was going on in your Archdiocese before Archbishop Chaput, but I heard that Archdiocese was having major problems, and that's why the Pope appointed him there. I'm sure he has a good reason to do what he is doing. The Denver diocese was very strong under his pastoral care.

If Cathedral Basilica of Saints Peter and Paul is not too far from you, I believe the Archbishop celebrates Mass there on a somewhat regular basis now. Have you ever been to one of his Masses? In Denver he celebrated them beautifully and with a lot of reverence - I'm sure it's this way in Philly too. Maybe give it a try one day. I definitely grew in my faith a lot while living in Denver, and still miss attending the Archbishop's Masses every week.

--hide--

Well, so far, reviews here haven't been too favorable ... The Northeast is a different animal and people here are very parochial ... We are a "city of neighborhoods" and the neighbohoods are very much steeped in history and tradition... People want more of a say in things

Feb 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Richard-15378 said: A guy in work says that the Cath Church is going to become like other denominations with the big...

A guy in work says that the Cath Church is going to become like other denominations with the big mega-churches only ... He says the more they wipe out these small and mid-size parishes that all we'll have left is some giant amphitheatre where you'll have to drive and drive to get there ...

That sounds warm and fuzzy,no?????????????????????????

--hide--

Yes...this trend has been visible especially in the Camden (NJ) Diocese. I believe the diocese is or was forcing all parishes to hire full-time professional youth directors, liturgists, etc. Obviously smaller parishes could not afford these "professionals." There are many backhanded ways dioceses can force parishes to close. Big parishes give the diocese more control and the people less control. Plus the diocese gets to liquidate the real estate and other assets of closed parishes.

Feb 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Richard-15378 said: Some of our people think it is the other way around down here ... take a parish in the b...

Some of our people think it is the other way around down here ... take a parish in the black and close it, use the assets to wipe out or decrease the debt of the other parish ,,, they say that if they closed the debtor parish they still would have the financial obligations ...this way they can pay off the debt ... But who knows what the real machinations are behind the scenes ... Oh, man!!!

--hide--

You never could begin to imagine all the things that go on...

Dioceses bring in their own inspectors to declare churches unsound so that the churches can be condemned and demolished. Priests, nuns and laymen involved in these parish closing schemes are incredibly manipulative and try to pit parishes against each other using divide-and-conquer strategies. It's difficult not to develop extremely anti-clerical beliefs once you start learning about all this. Many of the mainstream Catholic media ignore you or imply you're a bad Catholic. It's important not to become consumed with hatred because in the end the Church is not the source of evil; it's just been take over by evil to a large extent.

Feb 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Richard-15378 said: Well, so far, reviews here haven't been too favorable ... The Northeast is a differe...

Well, so far, reviews here haven't been too favorable ... The Northeast is a different animal and people here are very parochial ... We are a "city of neighborhoods" and the neighbohoods are very much steeped in history and tradition... People want more of a say in things

--hide--

Don't trust anybody in the Church unless you know with whom you're dealing. There are some good bishops but it takes research to figure out who they are.

Feb 23rd 2013 new

I thought it would be a lovely tribute to see St. Donato's in all it's traditional beauty.

Hello Richard, My sincerest condolences for the loss of your beloved church. I searched for St. Donato's, and it appears they have already removed the church's official website, however I was able to find a site that had photos of all the breathtaking churches in Philadelphia. The image link is at the top of the page, and St. Donato's is 3/4 down the page. A true travesty of justice, especially when you consider all the countless parishioner's over the years whom received such spiritual joy, knowledge, and comfort in such a glorious place. Once again, my condolences.

www.phillychurchproject.com

God Bless, angel Praying rosary theheart

Sheila

Posts 41 - 50 of 183