Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Feb 23rd 2013 new
Richard. I truly empathize and share your pain about this. It's terrible, and there is much more I could say. Please take many many photographs of St. Donato's.
Feb 23rd 2013 new
(Quote) Richard-15378 said: Memories do count, indeed!
(Quote) Richard-15378 said:

Memories do count, indeed!

--hide--
I love the old quaint churches. St Peters in my hometown of Westfield, Ma is very much like the church you are speaking of. I don't know the proper steps to take but there has to be someone in your town that does. Keep investigating as I have found the more people making inquiries, the more pressure you put on the powers that be. Your local television station might be an avenue to consider to bring more attention to the problem. Do you know people at the newspaper? Could you write a heartfelt letter to the editor so it could be published prominently? I will put my thinking cap on and see what other ideas come to me. >>>. Eileen
Feb 23rd 2013 new
(Quote) Tracy-929496 said: Your concern is unfortunately a very timely topic! I just returned from a "Town Hall" type meeting co...
(Quote) Tracy-929496 said:

Your concern is unfortunately a very timely topic! I just returned from a "Town Hall" type meeting concerning the restructuring plan that has been in the works for several years in the Diocese of Evansville, IN.

Several parishes are going to be either merged or turned into oratories, which is nothing more than a polite way of saying, "CLOSED". It's quite a difficult, painful time for the bishop, the priests and the lay faithful. Generations of families have worshipped at these parishes and God alone knows how hard this is for us all.

We must remember above all to continue to act charitably and trust in the good Lord's Plan. Pope Benedict himself (while still Cardinal Ratzinger) prophesied about the future of our Church, a much smaller, purer, livelier, more devout Church. This will arrive only after a great time of trial and purification for the whole Church and for the entire world. Keep you eyes fixed on Jesus.

--hide--

It's not the Lord's plan to close churches. It's the devil's plan. When are you all going to see that. I would love to see what you have to say after you've gone through a closure.
Feb 23rd 2013 new
(Quote) Lisa-54615 said: I haven't read all the posts, but wanted to say, you guys in Philadelphia have a wonderful Archbishop. I live...
(Quote) Lisa-54615 said:

I haven't read all the posts, but wanted to say, you guys in Philadelphia have a wonderful Archbishop. I lived in Denver for a few years when he was the Archbishop there, and still follow him on FB. I trust him completely. I don't know the reasoning behind his decision, but I would encourage you to trust him. I don't know the details of what was going on in your Archdiocese before Archbishop Chaput, but I heard that Archdiocese was having major problems, and that's why the Pope appointed him there. I'm sure he has a good reason to do what he is doing. The Denver diocese was very strong under his pastoral care.

If Cathedral Basilica of Saints Peter and Paul is not too far from you, I believe the Archbishop celebrates Mass there on a somewhat regular basis now. Have you ever been to one of his Masses? In Denver he celebrated them beautifully and with a lot of reverence - I'm sure it's this way in Philly too. Maybe give it a try one day. I definitely grew in my faith a lot while living in Denver, and still miss attending the Archbishop's Masses every week.

--hide--

Then you should read all the posts. As I just said to someone slse, you would be speaking differently if you've gone through a church closure. Many times, the closures are unjust and you have no idea how divisive the bishops can be.
Feb 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Josephine-586127 said: Then you should read all the posts. As I just said to someone slse, you would be speaking di...
(Quote) Josephine-586127 said:

Then you should read all the posts. As I just said to someone slse, you would be speaking differently if you've gone through a church closure. Many times, the closures are unjust and you have no idea how divisive the bishops can be.
--hide--

Some of the priests look at you as if you were nuts when you say your church shouldn't close. I remember one priest said that he "could say Mass in a cornfield" and didn't need a church. Very cold and nasty people.

Feb 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Sean-851370 said: Yes...this trend has been visible especially in the Camden (NJ) Diocese. I believe the...
(Quote) Sean-851370 said:

Yes...this trend has been visible especially in the Camden (NJ) Diocese. I believe the diocese is or was forcing all parishes to hire full-time professional youth directors, liturgists, etc. Obviously smaller parishes could not afford these "professionals." There are many backhanded ways dioceses can force parishes to close. Big parishes give the diocese more control and the people less control. Plus the diocese gets to liquidate the real estate and other assets of closed parishes.

--hide--

The trend here is the opposite! Because of the downturn in the economy, the churches here have laid off most of their staff members, including music directors and youth directors. It is back to the good ole days when the Catholic Church was run by "volunteers", that nasty terrible word that required everybody to do their part. I was a "volunteer" organist all through high school and we didn't have a "music director" or "liturgist". I chose the songs each week and learned a heck of a lot from my piano teacher Sr. Vera as to which songs were appropriate for which parts of the mass (most of the time it was self explanatory). We had an AWESOME volunteer choir and my sister took over when I left for college. Since I attended Catholic high school I didn't attend Religious Instruction at the parish but RE for high schoolers was taught completely by VOLUNTEER parents and members of religious orders that staffed the local catholic schools. A parish should be run by the people and for the people, not by PAID staff members that aren't even parishioners. I attended a mass here in which members of the paid music ministry weren't even Catholic and had no intention of being Catholic, they just wanted to get paid eyepopping eyepopping eyepopping . The Catholic Church here has to compete with the Mormon church for members and the Mormon church is run COMPLETELY by volunteers, even their Bishops and stake Presidents aren't paid. Each church member is required to sign up for a ministry and put in so many hours each week towards that ministry. THe Mormon church is very well run and very efficient. The music during their services is extremely professional (my neighbor is a former Catholic seminarian who is in charge of the local MOrmon churches music ministry) because Mormon kids are required to learn a musical instrument when young. The Mormon Church is building Churches every square mile; they are small and personal. THey are building a Temple (equivalent to a Catholic Cathedral) less than a 1/2 mile from my house. So even during the economic downturn the Mormon Church continues to thrive while the Catholic CHurch is closing their churches. Something is amiss. I have to agree with the statement that the Catholic Church is going the way of the huge protestant mega churches. I know that is happening down here and is probably one of the reasons the church where I was baptized was torn down and the neighboring church still stands; it was a slight bit larger, more modern looking, and had a full basement. Our parish didn't need a church basement though because we had a school with a large cafeteria (now social hall). CLosing Catholic Churches....heartbreaking?....yes indeed. Praying

Feb 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Richard-15378 said: The Archdiocese of Phila is closing my beautiful church, St. Donato's .. It is 103 years old...
(Quote) Richard-15378 said:

The Archdiocese of Phila is closing my beautiful church, St. Donato's .. It is 103 years old, a classic Italian throwback ... A magnificent 60 foot high Crucifixion scene behind the altar ... stained-glass windows with mosaics of the Good Shepherd, St.Michael the Archangel, the Nativity scene and so on ... We have a devoted congregation, with many of the older folks having known only this church ... St. Frances Xavier Cabrini, the first US citizen to be canonized, worshiped in our chapel ... We have appealed to the Archdiocese, but have been turned away and, honestly, at times have been treated rather rudely ... I must say that as sad as our closing makes me feel, I must admit to being even more hurt at the response (or lack of it) by the local Catholic hierarchy ... Yes,our numbers are down, but give us a year or so to try and boost attendance... We think we can do it, but they have to give us the chance ... All this has made me question whether I will continue to attend Mass if they close us .. Never thought I would ever say or do that, but this is very disheartening ... It seems like the way Jesus laid down, respect for all people, is not being adhered to ... If anyone else has experienced this, with their church closing, I'd love to hear your reaction ... I feel lost and my spirit is broken by it all ... I am trying to keep separate the wonderful teachings of our religion from the decisions made by men, but it is hard to keep focused in the light of this emotional pain ... Why can't they respect our legacy and give us a chance????

--hide--

HI Richard,

I am very sorry that they are closing your church. I have been through a church closure but I am afraid it is for different reasons and entirely different considerations than what you and others in the NE are going through.

In Oklahoma, many of the parishes outlying the main city and suburbs are a conglomeration of smaller parishes set up as missions to a larger church. When I moved to Purcell, Lexington which is across the bridge also had a parish, which was a mission of Purcell, so the priest said Mass there as well as at Purcell. But, RE classes etc were being held at the larger parish in Purcell. It was decided after we had been there a few years to close St. John's and sell it. Shortly after they removed the in-residence priest from the parish in Pauls Valley about twenty miles south of us and we took over both Pauls' Valley and Lindsey as missions. That gave Our Lady's in Purcell two mission churches and one priest and we now have two deacons. Sometime in August of this last year, our priest basically bailed on us due to mental health issues. So we have been scouring for visiting priests. One of our Deacon's has become the parish administrator. We had already been on a schedule where we had Mass three of the four Sundays and a Communion Service on the fourth, while Lindsey the smallest of the parishes had Communion services three of the four Sundays and Mass on the fourth.

We rallied well and kept our numbers up and have been told we will receive a new pastor when assignments are made in June for the three parishes. But, our problem is a lack of priests. Many of our priests have retired and yet are still kept very busy, many of them the same age my uncle would have been late 80's. Our former pastor, the one before this last one, is now the assistant pastor at a large parish in the City, called out of retirement to help. The good news is that we have a fairly large group of seminarians currently on their path toward ordination. We also are a vibrant and growing faith. The Archbishop received 750 individuals preparing through RCIA for this Easter's reception into the Faith, counting their children I think 13 came from here. And, our little parish has been so packed for Mass on Sundays we are singing three hymns at Communion.

It was a very touch and go thing and we have been living under the possibility of being closed since they closed St. John's in Lexington, partly because there are three parishes in Norman, just twenty minutes north of us that could absorb us all. It would make the drive for Pauls Valley and Lindsey forty minutes or more. Although they might be able to go south to Ardmore it would still be a drive. I know it was difficult to close the church in Purcell, it had been there since the land rush I believe as had the Purcell Parish. We did our best to incorporate many of the items from St. John's into Our Lady's. I know that it is hard to see a place we love closed up and sold off. I only hope you find which parish you are called to be at now. Please don't lose Faith. Hugs and prayers, Lauren

Feb 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Richard-15378 said: Well, so far, reviews here haven't been too favorable ... The Northeast is a different animal and p...
(Quote) Richard-15378 said: Well, so far, reviews here haven't been too favorable ... The Northeast is a different animal and people here are very parochial ... We are a "city of neighborhoods" and the neighbohoods are very much steeped in history and tradition... People want more of a say in things
--hide--

I did not take the time to go through all posts on this thread, so if this is redundant, forgive me. My first husband and I were married, and our children baptized, at San Francesco di Paola Catholic Church in San Antonio. It is listed on as a Texas landmark, and I believe on the National Register. Not because it is a church - but because of it's architecture and cultural significance in the community - as it was founded and built by Italian immigrants. It might be worthwhile to investigate if this is a possibility for St. Donato, and it may even be an avenue with which to approach the diocese. Philidelphia certainly is a city that cares about its landmarks, and its neighborhoods.

BTW, my son's name is Donato.

Feb 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Beverly-936499 said: I did not take the time to go through all posts on this thread, so if this is redundant...
(Quote) Beverly-936499 said:

I did not take the time to go through all posts on this thread, so if this is redundant, forgive me. My first husband and I were married, and our children baptized, at San Francesco di Paola Catholic Church in San Antonio. It is listed on as a Texas landmark, and I believe on the National Register. Not because it is a church - but because of it's architecture and cultural significance in the community - as it was founded and built by Italian immigrants. It might be worthwhile to investigate if this is a possibility for St. Donato, and it may even be an avenue with which to approach the diocese. Philidelphia certainly is a city that cares about its landmarks, and its neighborhoods.

BTW, my son's name is Donato.

--hide--

That is a really good idea Beverly. Try contacting the State Historic Preservation Office. If it is eligible for registry they will know and be the ones to determine it. It is definitely worth a shot.

Feb 23rd 2013 new

A big thank-you to all of you who have responded thus far ... Thank you so much for your insight and for sharing your experiences ,, I wish I could give each woman a big kiss and give all the guys a hardy pat on the back ...It is heartwarming to hear all your stories and to get your expressions of, well, sympathy ... So sorry for those of you who have had to go thru this gutwrenching upheaval already .. This is when CM is at its best, when it serves as a forum of comfort, discussion and hope ...

Luv ya!

Posts 51 - 60 of 183