Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Feb 26th 2013 new

(Quote) Jonathan-903357 said: Andrew, there are a plethora of ways that will work, but one thing to keep in mind is no matte...
(Quote) Jonathan-903357 said:

Andrew, there are a plethora of ways that will work, but one thing to keep in mind is no matter what exercise routine you end up using, you have to incorporate a healthy eating plan as well, otherwise you won't see any results. A trainer at the gym I go to has a dry erase board where he puts motivational sayings on it and one that pops up from time to time is "you can't outwork a bad diet". It's true - trust me, that's something that I've fought with, because I love the Pizza Hut buffet as much as the next guy. But it is crucial. Not saying you have to go extreme and eat nothing but tuna fish and brown rice, (that gets old, trust me, plus in order to maintain you must continue to eat like that - who wants to do that???) but you have to eat with a healthy mindset. A trip to the Pizza Hut buffet every now and then is still allowed, of course! Anyway, that's just my 2 cents, hope it helps.

--hide--
I hear what you say and it applies for most people, but there is another side to that coin too. If your basal metabolism requires for example 1500 kcal/day and the work done (including the hour at the gym) requires an additional 2000 kcal then you require 3500 kcal per day.

But let's say that you burn 5000 kcals worth of energy per day doing what ever kind of sports then you need to eat 6500 kcal worth of food to get by. Try to eat so much without focusing on food with a high energy density such as bread and pasta and a lot of fat. It is almost impossible.

Also, keep in mind that a lot of people assume that a very low amount of body fat (in order to show the sixpack) is a sign of being healthy and being in top shape. But take a look at the US olympic swimteam and you will see fewer visible sixpacks among them then among any group of bodybuilders competing on city level. Which group of these two do you think is in best physical shape?

So the Pizza Hut buffet is perfectly fine, even more then once a week if you want to. The key is not to eat more than you require for the daily work load. Instead of cleaning the buffet one serving is enough.

Feb 26th 2013 new
(Quote) Peter-933860 said: So the Pizza Hut buffet is perfectly fine, even more then once a week if you want to. The key is not to...
(Quote) Peter-933860 said:

So the Pizza Hut buffet is perfectly fine, even more then once a week if you want to. The key is not to eat more than you require for the daily work load. Instead of cleaning the buffet one serving is enough.

--hide--

While I agree in theory with this statement, I like I assume many people like feeling full and it's difficult to get full on pizza without over doing it on calories at my old weight. Especially if you're just starting, you may need higher quantities until your stomach shrinks down. Have a couple slices and make sure to have the salad to fill the rest if you need it, which I would have found hard to do at a buffet or a party. For me just cutting out things like pizza and soda at first resulted in 10 pounds in 2 weeks and I wasn't starving myself. However everything else you said, spot on.
Feb 26th 2013 new

(Quote) Daniel-726519 said: While I agree in theory with this statement, I like I assume many people like feeling full and ...
(Quote) Daniel-726519 said:

While I agree in theory with this statement, I like I assume many people like feeling full and it's difficult to get full on pizza without over doing it on calories at my old weight. Especially if you're just starting, you may need higher quantities until your stomach shrinks down. Have a couple slices and make sure to have the salad to fill the rest if you need it, which I would have found hard to do at a buffet or a party. For me just cutting out things like pizza and soda at first resulted in 10 pounds in 2 weeks and I wasn't starving myself. However everything else you said, spot on.
--hide--
Yes you are correct in that many people like feeling full and need to re-learn the difference of not being hungry anymore and being full. The latter state isn't really desirable.

Feb 26th 2013 new

I go to my college son's tract meets....just WATCHING those athletes "run for their lives" burns lots of calories. Of course the REAL calorie burning, heart pumping action comes when you are jumping up and down and screaming at the top of your lungs, "RUN, Jeremy, RUN FASTER!" BTW, I have never seen so many CM men respond to a post as they have to this one. My "real" exercise is outdoor yoga and trail running/hiking; can't beat Arizona weather (winter/desert, summer/mountains) for staying fit.

Feb 26th 2013 new

(Quote) Angie-853770 said: YOGA!
(Quote) Angie-853770 said:

YOGA!

--hide--

I'm anxious to try the P90x Yoga. I've heard that is suppose to be pretty relaxing.

Feb 26th 2013 new

I am doing ZUMBA at home, I love it AND it really does work. I did it before I put some weight this year and it is working again. I also have some machines and arm weights and love to ice skate, roller skate..yes roller skate and bicycle in the warmer months. Walking is great too. LEt's go blow the whistle and give me 50! Oh sorry just kidding. wave Ice Skating

Feb 26th 2013 new
Atkins always does the trick. You can eat all the good carbs, and all the meat you want!
Feb 26th 2013 new

If you're willing to take the time to learn, I'd highly recommend inline skating. It's very similar to running in terms of the workout you get from it, but without the pounding on the joints.

It's a heck of a lot more fun than working out in a gym, too!

Feb 26th 2013 new

(Quote) Tom-267933 said: If you're willing to take the time to learn, I'd highly recommend inline skating. It's ...
(Quote) Tom-267933 said:

If you're willing to take the time to learn, I'd highly recommend inline skating. It's very similar to running in terms of the workout you get from it, but without the pounding on the joints.

It's a heck of a lot more fun than working out in a gym, too!

--hide--

Already got the roller blades for summer biggrin

Feb 26th 2013 new

That's great! One other thing I'd recommend is that you work out early in the morning if at all possible. Actually, I'm not a physical specimen but I've learned a few interesting things over the years. I'm using this Lenten season to work my way back into playing shape for a 35+ men's hockey league in my area, and I can offer a few tidbits from my informal "training" in the past:

1. Work out early in the morning. It helps get your metabolism up and helps you feel energetic all day long.
2. Related to the previous point ... Give yourself a full 8 hours to sleep every night, even if you find yourself waking up on your own with less sleep.
3. Combine #1 and #2 and a harsh reality sets in. If you work during "normal working hours," you'll find that you have to get to bed no later than 9 PM to get up by 5. If you need to get up by 4 to get a workout in, you have to be in bed by 8 PM. This relates to #4 below.
4. Go to bed at the same time every night, to the extent possible. And schedule as much of your regular sleep as possible during night hours. I've found that there's a huge difference between the quality of 8 hours of sleep starting at 9 PM and 8 hours starting at midnight.
5. Do exercise that you enjoy, not just exercise for the sake of doing it. You'll find it easier to stay committed to it.
6. Incorporate prayer into your physical activities. Make all of these difficult things a well-intentioned sacrifice to God.
7. Watch what you eat, but don't cut anything you like out of your diet completely. Even the most unhealthy food in the world is probably OK once a month.
8. Never step on a scale unless you're at the doctor's office. There are two reasons for this: (a) you're not trying to lose weight (you're trying to live better, and any weight loss will be a natural result of this); and (b) you may end up gaining weight after a while once your muscle tone starts to improve.
9. Make your exercise life a priority, not something you work into your schedule around other things. You'll be amazed at how much of the "clutter" in your life is completely meaningless once you do this. You won't have time for a lot of things that may be part of your daily routine, but you'll also find that these things aren't important anyway (watching television or surfing the Internet for long stretches of time, for example).
10. Trust me on this one: A cheerful, positive outlook will go a long way towards helping you along in this.

Good luck! I'm off to bed shortly because it's 9 PM right now here on the East Coast!

Posts 61 - 70 of 77