Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

02/27/2013 new

(Quote) Hannah-708610 said: Hi everyone! This is my first forum post. What books are you reading? Are they for Lent?...
(Quote) Hannah-708610 said:

Hi everyone! This is my first forum post.

What books are you reading? Are they for Lent? If so, I assume they're spiritual/theological. If not, what genre are they? If you're not reading books, are you reading magazines or blogs? What do you like about what you're reading?

--hide--
For my Lenten reading I am reading an old book called "The Passion of Jesus and it's hidden meaning" by FatherGroenings, S.J. it was written in 1908 and I bought it from the Tan books website. I bought 5 copies and gave them as gifts. It is over 450 pages and is a paperback. It is falling apart, but that's ok. :) I have read it 3x and like The Bible it always says something new to me. It has changed my life. I am also reading a daily Lenten book by the late great Henri Nouwen. And of course a stations of the cross book on Friday nightsby JPII. I always have a stack of Catholic books/booklets by my bed. I can never read just one book at a time. I don't know if that's a bad habit or not. :) I am loving what I am reading now, it is helping me keep on track during Lent. i seem to get easily distracted. But I am trying! Pray 4-me, everyone! :) :) :) God bless you all!

02/27/2013 new

Trustful surrender to Divine providence and the Catechism

02/27/2013 new
(Quote) Hannah-708610 said: Hi everyone! This is my first forum post. What books are you reading? Are they for Lent? If so, I ass...
(Quote) Hannah-708610 said:

Hi everyone! This is my first forum post.

What books are you reading? Are they for Lent? If so, I assume they're spiritual/theological. If not, what genre are they? If you're not reading books, are you reading magazines or blogs? What do you like about what you're reading?

--hide--

Into the Storm The Hobart sailing race
02/28/2013 new

(Quote) Lauren-927923 said: Hi Hanna, I love to read and as a kid one could always find me with my nose in a book, lo...
(Quote) Lauren-927923 said:

Hi Hanna,

I love to read and as a kid one could always find me with my nose in a book, lol. My brother's daughter, so my niece, is like that and it made my day last summer when we were at the cabin and she pulled out a book and started reading and my brother said, I tell her all the time she's just like her Aunt Lauren :-)). I so rarely get to read for fun these days. But, I read everyday. . .parasites, ancient DNA, Section 106 compliance, Wichita Indian history, Mercantilism, trade in the New World, etc. But, when I get those precious moments to read for fun, I want it to be something purely for fun, a good intriguing story with rich engaging characters and completely outside the realm of reality lol. I do have a book on widowhood that my daughter bought for me, but that is less than helpful and only serves to make me sad. . .so maybe I should take a jaunt to the book store. . .Spring Break is coming up :-))

--hide--

Hi Lauren,

You sound a lot like me. tongue I used to read constantly when I was in middle school. Now, I read a lot of non-fiction. I've gotten into blogs and online articles, and of course there's all the reading I do for work. But my parents gave me a fantasy book for Christmas which I've been slowly making my way through. Sometimes I just need something fictional to read. biggrin I hope you find something!

02/28/2013 new

(Quote) Ronald-937125 said: I'm currently reading "the poison in your teeth" by McGuireIt's about ...
(Quote) Ronald-937125 said:

I'm currently reading "the poison in your teeth" by McGuire

It's about the health hazards of the poison mercury amalgam (silver) fillings in our mouths and why they should be removed if you have them.

You never hear those fillings described as mercury fillings, they are usually called silver fillings. Those fillings contain about 50% mercury and 30% silver and the rest other metals.

I went to a mercury free dentist for an exam since I want my mercury fillings replaced and he gave me the book.

--hide--

I used to work for a dentist who did non-amalgam fillings only. However, he would never tell people that amalgam was going to poison them. I think there's enough room for debate that he didn't feel the need to scare people. However, I have always been grateful that I've never had amalgam fillings. I'd rather not take the chance.

02/28/2013 new

(Quote) Jim-397948 said: Into the Storm The Hobart sailing race
(Quote) Jim-397948 said:

Into the Storm The Hobart sailing race
--hide--

I looked this one up and the subtitle said, "Lessons in Teamwork." Is that the edition you're reading? That sounds kind of interesting, especially since the review said teamwork was the only reason they lived. Sounds like a good read. :)

02/28/2013 new

(Quote) John-759808 said: finished : A Bad Day for Sorry. Hilarious. www.amazon.com.
(Quote) John-759808 said:

finished : A Bad Day for Sorry. Hilarious.

www.amazon.com

Six Frigates the epic history of the founding of the US Navy. Ian Toll. This was one of the best books I have ever read.

Reading now:
The Black Box. Micheal Connelly

How to build an Android. David Dufty

Knights of the Sea. David Hanna.

--hide--

These look interesting, especially "How to Build an Android." I can't help but wonder what happened to Phil and who has him now. If you saw or read Hugo (kids book and movie), the story is kind of the same: a kid finds a robot and tries to rebuild it to find out what it can tell him. Very intriguing!

02/28/2013 new

I am reading Jesus and the Jewish Roots of the Eucharist: Unlocking the Secrets of the Last Supper. I'm about a third of the way through and it's blowing me away. Brant Pitre is the author with a forward by Scott Hahn.

02/28/2013 new

(Quote) Nekeisha-896394 said: I have this book on my kindle but I haven't read it yet. How is it?
(Quote) Nekeisha-896394 said:

I have this book on my kindle but I haven't read it yet. How is it?

--hide--

I haven't gotten too far into it but so far so good. She has a good sense of humor and it's an easy read.

02/28/2013 new
Hi Hannah, thanks for the post! I love to read. I am currently reading Chris Kyles book, biography of a sniper, on the elliptical at the gym. It has been interesting. For lent I am reading Lewis' 'till we have faces' and delving further into JP2's 'Theology of the Body'...
Posts 51 - 60 of 92