Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Feb 25th 2013 new

(Quote) Sean-851370 said: dontconvert.wordpress.com.
(Quote) Sean-851370 said:

dontconvert.wordpress.com

Bishops should read stuff like this. Unfortunately, they probably don't.

--hide--
Here we go again. irked Where do you find all this negative material? There should not be any division -- it's a tool of the devil. We should welcome all brothers and sisters in Christ. theheart

Feb 25th 2013 new
(Quote) David-364112 said: They have cultural and ethnic bonds to unite them. Traditionally, Roman Catholics (in the ...
(Quote) David-364112 said:

They have cultural and ethnic bonds to unite them. Traditionally, Roman Catholics (in the USA at least) don't socialize much at Church.

--hide--

The lack of community in many parishes is a serious problem that causes many to leave. It's a major reason that my Dad left the Church before I was born.
Feb 25th 2013 new

(Quote) Sean-851370 said: dontconvert.wordpress.com.
(Quote) Sean-851370 said:

dontconvert.wordpress.com

Bishops should read stuff like this. Unfortunately, they probably don't.

--hide--

The main complaints I usually hear from evangelicals is that catholics do not take enough of a literal interpretation of the Bible,

catholics do not believe in salvation and Mary worship. While these are over generalizations and can be somewhat offensive, we shouldn't be completely dismissive of what they are saying. Dialogue is important.

It is true that we as catholics do interpret the Bible and do not take every word literally. Nevertheless, other than hearing the readings and the Gospel at mass, the Bible probably isn't discussed enough in catholic circles. More catholic Bible study groups would be helpful to better understand Jesus' teaching.

It is true that catholics don't believe in the notion that all you have to do accept Jesus for heaven. But better dialogue between evangelicals and catholics would be helpful in this important area.

Last, but not least, the whole idea of Mary worship. This can be very offensive as catholics do NOT worship Mary - we adore her. Nevertheless, I think some parishes, particularly I have noticed hispanic oriented parishes, sometimes may blur the line a bit much, whether or not that is intention or not. Catholics must always be clear that we worship Jesus and adore Mary - a huge difference.

Feb 25th 2013 new

(Quote) Patrick-341178 said: The main complaints I usually hear from evangelicals is that catholics do not take enou...
(Quote) Patrick-341178 said:

The main complaints I usually hear from evangelicals is that catholics do not take enough of a literal interpretation of the Bible,

catholics do not believe in salvation and Mary worship. While these are over generalizations and can be somewhat offensive, we shouldn't be completely dismissive of what they are saying. Dialogue is important.

It is true that we as catholics do interpret the Bible and do not take every word literally. Nevertheless, other than hearing the readings and the Gospel at mass, the Bible probably isn't discussed enough in catholic circles. More catholic Bible study groups would be helpful to better understand Jesus' teaching.

It is true that catholics don't believe in the notion that all you have to do accept Jesus for heaven. But better dialogue between evangelicals and catholics would be helpful in this important area.

Last, but not least, the whole idea of Mary worship. This can be very offensive as catholics do NOT worship Mary - we adore her. Nevertheless, I think some parishes, particularly I have noticed hispanic oriented parishes, sometimes may blur the line a bit much, whether or not that is intention or not. Catholics must always be clear that we worship Jesus and adore Mary - a huge difference.

--hide--

We don't adore Mary either. We venerate her and give her higher honor than any other human being except Jesus.

Feb 26th 2013 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: We don't adore Mary either. We venerate her and give her higher honor than any other ...
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

We don't adore Mary either. We venerate her and give her higher honor than any other human being except Jesus.

--hide--

sorry if i used the wrong word... that is what i meant

Feb 26th 2013 new

(Quote) Patrick-341178 said: The main complaints I usually hear from evangelicals is that catholics do not take enou...

--hide--

Patrick,

I don't agree with you where you state, "Catholics don't believe in Salvation". Catholics belive in Faith (Salvation) and Works.

Here is a common list of Apologetics: www.biblechristiansociety.com

Feb 26th 2013 new

(Quote) Andrew-560653 said: (Quote) Patrick-341178 said: The main complaints I usually hear f...
(Quote) Andrew-560653 said:

Quote:
Patrick-341178 said:

Patrick,

I don't agree with you where you state, "Catholics don't believe in Salvation". Catholics belive in Faith (Salvation) and Works.

Here is a common list of Apologetics: www.biblechristiansociety.com

--hide--

You misunderstood what I wrote. I was saying that evangelicals accuse catholics as not believing in salvation.

Feb 26th 2013 new

(Quote) Patrick-341178 said: You misunderstood what I wrote. I was saying that evangelicals accuse catho...

You misunderstood what I wrote. I was saying that evangelicals accuse catholics as not believing in salvation.

--hide--

ahhh yes I did. I re-read it. Sorry about that.

Feb 26th 2013 new
(Quote) Patrick-341178 said: You misunderstood what I wrote. I was saying that evangelicals accuse catholics as not b...

--hide--

I find that most Evangelicals argue against strawmen when they discuss Catholicism. I had a debate with a fallen away Catholic turned Evangelical, and I was shocked at his misinformation about the Church.
Feb 26th 2013 new

(Quote) Jim-50634 said: I just read and commented on the article(it's awaiting approval I guess)....this is what I said....
(Quote) Jim-50634 said:

I just read and commented on the article(it's awaiting approval I guess)....this is what I said...

one should convert to Catholicism because, despite its “issues”, you believe it to be the true Church established by Christ…and for no other reason….So ask yourself that?…After reading this article…one wonders if you could find the good in anything….”Have you ever seen the practical impact of good sacraments?” No wonder you have such a negative outlook….Sounds like you had little faith….Eucharist…Confession…Established by Christ Himself!!!….revealed by the Spirit in scripture!!!…Believing in those alone are a greater experience than preaching any day…If what the Catholic Church claims is true(such as the true presence of Christ)…it is no small matter to regard His Church as simply another option….it requires serious consideration…Are you so sure in yourself that you would risk possibly misleading souls in such a serious matter?

This guy has made telling people not to convert his mission....then he argues nothing that matters most

--hide--

Jim, I read the article. I wanted to say I liked your post. Thanks for posting it.

Posts 11 - 20 of 65