Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Feb 28th 2013 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: Rod Dreher is a former Catholic who left because of the abuse scandals. He told me that he was in...
(Quote) John-220051 said:

Rod Dreher is a former Catholic who left because of the abuse scandals. He told me that he was intimidated by Abp. Chaput who tried to personally get him to stop writing about them.
--hide--

Makes you wonder about Chaput.

Dreher wrote a column about Benedict Groeschel a while back and Groeschel's defense of Carlos Urrutigoity. You have to wonder about all these guys.

Feb 28th 2013 new
(Quote) Sean-851370 said: Makes you wonder about Chaput. Dreher wrote a column about Benedict Groeschel a while back...
(Quote) Sean-851370 said:

Makes you wonder about Chaput.

Dreher wrote a column about Benedict Groeschel a while back and Groeschel's defense of Carlos Urrutigoity. You have to wonder about all these guys.

--hide--

Dreher's comments to me about Chaput made me a bit uncomfortable when he was named Archbishop of Philadelphia where I am from originally.

People judge us a Catholics by our actions and how we live our lives, and we've largely grown soft on the macro level since Vatican II. And these evils get visited on those of us who live our faith on a daily basis.

We never hear the press exalting the thousands of godly priests who work in our parishes every day. All we hear about are the bad ones and the corrupt bishops who have done the cover ups.

In a way I don't blame Dreher for becoming Orthodox, but they have their own cans of worms due to their petty jurisdictional disputes.
Feb 28th 2013 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: Dreher's comments to me about Chaput made me a bit uncomfortable when he was named Archbishop...

Dreher's comments to me about Chaput made me a bit uncomfortable when he was named Archbishop of Philadelphia where I am from originally.

People judge us a Catholics by our actions and how we live our lives, and we've largely grown soft on the macro level since Vatican II. And these evils get visited on those of us who live our faith on a daily basis.

We never hear the press exalting the thousands of godly priests who work in our parishes every day. All we hear about are the bad ones and the corrupt bishops who have done the cover ups.

In a way I don't blame Dreher for becoming Orthodox, but they have their own cans of worms due to their petty jurisdictional disputes.
--hide--

Yeah, well, Church corruption is the bread and butter of the one-trick pony known as SNAP. It's easy to expose Church corruption because the people who do the exposing don't tend to get suicided very often. I don't think SNAP ever will touch scandals such as Franklin, the Finders, etc. All the bad news coming out about the Church shows how weak the Church really is.

Feb 28th 2013 new

(Quote) Sean-851370 said: Yeah, well, Church corruption is the bread and butter of the one-trick pony known as SNAP....

Yeah, well, Church corruption is the bread and butter of the one-trick pony known as SNAP. It's easy to expose Church corruption because the people who do the exposing don't tend to get suicided very often. I don't think SNAP ever will touch scandals such as Franklin, the Finders, etc. All the bad news coming out about the Church shows how weak the Church really is.

--hide--

It happens though. A friend's brother was a priest who shot himself when accused by a woman of breaking his vows with her years earlier. She was of age at the time the contact was supposed ot have occurred, so the issue of abuse was moot. She kept badgering the diocese for money. Then she went away. I have a feeling they settled with her.

Feb 28th 2013 new
(Quote) Sean-851370 said: Yeah, well, Church corruption is the bread and butter of the one-trick pony known as SNAP. It&#...

--hide--

SNAP's problem is that it is not an orthodox group.
Feb 28th 2013 new

(Quote) Jan-672216 said: + Jesus is really, truly present at each Holy Sacrifice of the Mass. Even if the homily is b...
(Quote) Jan-672216 said:

+

Jesus is really, truly present at each Holy Sacrifice of the Mass. Even if the homily is boring, even if the music isn't to our liking, Jesus comes to us in utmost humility under the appearnace of bread and wine - He, the King of Kings and Lord of Lords, gives us His entire self, body, blood, soul and divinity and allows us sinners to consume Himself who IS Goodness, Beauty, Truth, Love. I am writing this for myself, as I often complain about the above (boring homilies, sappy music, etc.). Woe is me to lose sight of the greatest miracle in the world that takes place at each Catholic Mass and Orthodox Liturgy!

--hide--

If people truly knew this Mass would be a draw unto its own. Community would be a natural side effect. I think we build community in the church by trying to understand this ourselves and draw others by our joy.

Feb 28th 2013 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: SNAP's problem is that it is not an orthodox group.

SNAP's problem is that it is not an orthodox group.
--hide--

I know of a few abuse victims who think SNAP is an arm of the Catholic Church, which, to be honest, it probably is. SNAP in its early years was closely linked to the Dominicans and has had representatives at VOTF and CTA meetings. And VOTF has connections to the Society of Jesus, the most famous of all two-faced religious orders.

Feb 28th 2013 new

(Quote) Jim-13836 said: I thought I would add my two cents for what it's worth. I can concur with this guy's comment...
(Quote) Jim-13836 said:

I thought I would add my two cents for what it's worth. I can concur with this guy's comments about lousy homilies. It used to drive me nuts. I left the church for about 24 years. When I came back as a former Baptist who had been exposed to more of the Bible and had done quite bit of bible reading and studying. I came back with new eyes and I guess new ears. Then I relocated to northwestern PA and eventually discovered the Traditional Latin Mass. The homilies were awesome. It took some getting used to the Latin. Fortunately I love foreign languages so I am confortable with it. But the homilies blew me away. And I have never experienced fellowship as a Catholic as I do now. We have coffee and donuts after Mass and sometimes even go out for more coffee after that. A few older catholics have taken me under their wings to help bring me up to speed on both the Latin Mass and church doctrine. Even though it is a one hour drive to Mass I am so grateful. I am so spolied.

I think the quality of the homilies comes down to the priest. In the beginning the priests who said the Latin Mass were older. Fr. Robert Levis of EWTN fame was one of them (btw. he fell about a year ago, and broke his hip and recovery, at the age of 91, has been slow so please pray for him). Our current pastor is equally good in my opinion. I would go regardless but because of this Latin Mass, these priests and this congregation I have really grown as a Catholic. I only wish it were a bigger congregation.

In conclusion I disagree with the title here. I was once a conservative Evangelical and now I am very glad I came back to the only church Jesus Himself founded. That's my (greatly condensed) story and I'm sticking to it.

--hide--
Welcome home Jim! wave

Feb 28th 2013 new

(Quote) Noemi-900477 said: I wish it were easier to build community and to motivate people to get to know these "strang...
(Quote) Noemi-900477 said:

I wish it were easier to build community and to motivate people to get to know these "strangers" who sit next to them in the pews every Sunday! I know my parish offers many activities throughout the week, but for some reason they are so poorly attended. Perhaps people find it hard enough to spare an hour for the Lord every Sunday.

Sometimes I can't help but feel that we will never truly be unified, especially when I see people running out of mass straight from receiving the Eucharist. I'm not judging, but I just wonder if we will ever really come together.

--hide--
We come up with so many excuses not to say hello to the stranger, but it mostly boils down to us not being comfortable being in a vulnerable position. I tend to just do it no matter if it falls flat to the ground. With a few such experiences behind me I realized that it wasn't so horrible if I failed.

Feb 28th 2013 new
(Quote) Sean-851370 said: I know of a few abuse victims who think SNAP is an arm of the Catholic Church, which, to be honest, ...

I know of a few abuse victims who think SNAP is an arm of the Catholic Church, which, to be honest, it probably is. SNAP in its early years was closely linked to the Dominicans and has had representatives at VOTF and CTA meetings. And VOTF has connections to the Society of Jesus, the most famous of all two-faced religious orders.

--hide--

A novena for the suppression of the Jesuits is in order once a new Pope is in place.
Posts 31 - 40 of 65