Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Faithful Catholics

Feb 26th 2013 new

+

In being confronted with the reality of sexual scandal in our Church, at all levels really, I am wondering if there is something we might do here on CM that could result in the building up of our Catholic Faith. Every now and then I see a post by one person or another that comments rather incredulously that people who are not in agreement with 7 listed Faith Questions still are allowed to participate on a "Catholic" dating site.

Would CM truly be more helpful to the Catholic Church on a whole if people who are not willing to accept the 7 Church Teachings listed, especially, in the light of the current sexual scandals rocking the Church, the teaching on no sex outside of marriage, the teaching on contraception, and the understanding that a Catholic, once married and divorced, is not free to even date until, or if, an annulment has been obtained? What do you think?

I'm interested to hear what Catholics faithful to the teachings of the Church think about this as well as those who do not accept the teachings of the Church.

May God bless and guide us all.

Feb 26th 2013 new

Education, education, education!

Nag our priests and clergy, and support and pray for them to give the hard homilies. I'm sick of hearing about how its responsible stewardship to use energy efficient light bulbs, where's the homilies on marriage? On why contraception is a grave sin? Where's the public scoulding and excommunication of politicans and public catholics who make it very obvious they don't agree with the Church while still taking communion on Sunday?

Are we supporting and encouraging teachers in our Catholic schools to teach the Faith, not what Buddhist architecture looks like?

Are we Sunday Catholics where our Faith is a hobby kept private from the secular world? Do we stand up for the unborn, for marriage, for the dignity of the human person in our work places and amongst our friends when people start supporting "gay marriage" and abortion?

There's lots we can do. Over the last 2000 years there have been Catholics who have made the ultimate witness to the faith, being killed for Jesus. HOw the heck can we not be doing more? What are we endanger of? Creating a bit of social awkwardness? Seesh.

Making people uncomfortable with Catholic and Pro-Life posts on FB, really, how does that hurt us?

Catholics, put on your big kid pants and start living the faith, start vocalising it, stop being a pack of wussies. Frankly, I see people justifying their sin by pointing to paedophile priests and really, it says more about them and their understanding of the faith then it does about those child raping pigs.

Feb 26th 2013 new

(Quote) Jan-672216 said: + In being confronted with the reality of sexual scandal in our Church, at all levels really...
(Quote) Jan-672216 said:

+

In being confronted with the reality of sexual scandal in our Church, at all levels really, I am wondering if there is something we might do here on CM that could result in the building up of our Catholic Faith. Every now and then I see a post by one person or another that comments rather incredulously that people who are not in agreement with 7 listed Faith Questions still are allowed to participate on a "Catholic" dating site.

Would CM truly be more helpful to the Catholic Church on a whole if people who are not willing to accept the 7 Church Teachings listed, especially, in the light of the current sexual scandals rocking the Church, the teaching on no sex outside of marriage, the teaching on contraception, and the understanding that a Catholic, once married and divorced, is not free to even date until, or if, an annulment has been obtained? What do you think?

I'm interested to hear what Catholics faithful to the teachings of the Church think about this as well as those who do not accept the teachings of the Church.

--hide--

Hi Jan,

It appears you are intending to suggest that CM maak some change with regard to certain members (those who disagree with the teachings of the Church on premarital sex and/or contraception, and those who feel it is permissible for those who are divorced without an annulment to date); however, I don't see what the suggested change is.

Thanks, Jerry

Feb 26th 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: Hi Jan, It appears you are intending to suggest that CM maak some change with rega...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

Hi Jan,

It appears you are intending to suggest that CM maak some change with regard to certain members (those who disagree with the teachings of the Church on premarital sex and/or contraception, and those who feel it is permissible for those who are divorced without an annulment to date); however, I don't see what the suggested change is.

Thanks, Jerry

--hide--

+

Hi Jerry,

There was another Catholic dating site I signed up with several years ago, and, as I recall, one of the requirements of membership was a statement of fidelity to the Magisterial teachings of our Church, including a statement that one was truly free to enter a dating relationship. It might limit membership here, but would that witness for fidelity to the Church perhaps help those Catholics who are in dissent from Church teachings to re-examine their thinking?

Feb 26th 2013 new

(Quote) Naomi-698107 said: Education, education, education! Nag our priests and clergy, and support and pray for them...
(Quote) Naomi-698107 said:

Education, education, education!

Nag our priests and clergy, and support and pray for them to give the hard homilies. I'm sick of hearing about how its responsible stewardship to use energy efficient light bulbs, where's the homilies on marriage? On why contraception is a grave sin? Where's the public scoulding and excommunication of politicans and public catholics who make it very obvious they don't agree with the Church while still taking communion on Sunday?

Are we supporting and encouraging teachers in our Catholic schools to teach the Faith, not what Buddhist architecture looks like?

Are we Sunday Catholics where our Faith is a hobby kept private from the secular world? Do we stand up for the unborn, for marriage, for the dignity of the human person in our work places and amongst our friends when people start supporting "gay marriage" and abortion?

There's lots we can do. Over the last 2000 years there have been Catholics who have made the ultimate witness to the faith, being killed for Jesus. HOw the heck can we not be doing more? What are we endanger of? Creating a bit of social awkwardness? Seesh.

Making people uncomfortable with Catholic and Pro-Life posts on FB, really, how does that hurt us?

Catholics, put on your big kid pants and start living the faith, start vocalising it, stop being a pack of wussies. Frankly, I see people justifying their sin by pointing to paedophile priests and really, it says more about them and their understanding of the faith then it does about those child raping pigs.

--hide--

Yes I agree Naomi - education is crucial. And individual Catholics are just as repsonsible, if not more so, for learning what the Catholic faith really teaches and stands for as their parish priest is to teach them I would think. Learning and teaching the truth in love - can't divorce the two!

In terms of my question though, which may not have been presented very clearly, I was wondering if changes on Catholic Match specifically might help build up our Church - such as screening potential members based on their intent to be faithful to the Magisterial teachings of the Church, and of asking potential members to affirm they are really free to date to begin with.

Feb 26th 2013 new

(Quote) Jan-672216 said: + Hi Jerry, There was another Catholic dating site I signed up with several years ago...
(Quote) Jan-672216 said:

+

Hi Jerry,

There was another Catholic dating site I signed up with several years ago, and, as I recall, one of the requirements of membership was a statement of fidelity to the Magisterial teachings of our Church, including a statement that one was truly free to enter a dating relationship. It might limit membership here, but would that witness for fidelity to the Church perhaps help those Catholics who are in dissent from Church teachings to re-examine their thinking?

--hide--

Keep in mind that CM is not intended to be strictly a dating site: it has features that can be used by those who do not wish to, or are not free to, date to facilitate fellowship and faith formation.

The CM rules used to (I don't know if they still do) contain a statement that those who are not free to marry in the Church are not permitted to use the site for dating purposes. This is why those who are divorced without an annulment cannot use the Match feature.

Feb 26th 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: Keep in mind that CM is not intended to be strictly a dating site: it has features that c...

Keep in mind that CM is not intended to be strictly a dating site: it has features that can be used by those who do not wish to, or are not free to, date to facilitate fellowship and faith formation.

The CM rules used to (I don't know if they still do) contain a statement that those who are not free to marry in the Church are not permitted to use the site for dating purposes. This is why those who are divorced without an annulment cannot use the Match feature.

--hide--

+

Hi Jerry - thank you for the info. Since it is titled "Catholic Match" I assumed it was strictly for meeting Catholic folks who are looking for a possible spouse. And I didn't know people who are divorced without an annulment cannot use the Match feature.

However, I would still like to see CM tighten up the area of faithfulness to the teachings of the Church as I know there are folks who do use the match feature / look for romantice friendships who are in disagreement with the teachings of the Church - perhpas because they don't fully understand why the Church teaches what she teaches. In that case I suppose one could make the argument that mixing with Catholics who are faithful might be of assistance to all concerned.

Feb 26th 2013 new

(Quote) Jan-672216 said: + In being confronted with the reality of sexual scandal in our Church, at all levels really...
(Quote) Jan-672216 said:

+

--hide--

For the remainder of this response, I use the term 'divorced' to refer only to anyone who has obtained a civil divorce or annulment of marriage who has not obtained a decree of nullity from A catholic marriage tribunal and whose ex-spuse is still alive.

The CM owners have made it clear for as long as I have been on the site (almost 9 years) that it is not intended to be strictly a dating site. The site has a variety of features that are conducive to platonic fellowship and faith development that don't' involve participating in the matching/dating functions.

It is not uncommon for members to come to accept teachings of the Church as a result of their interactions with other CM members, either one-on-one or through the forums.

Discussing the morality of dating by those who are divorced is complicated by the fact that the term 'dating' has a wide range of meanings, from very casual and strictly platonic to romantic. If one is not careful to limit the term somewhat precisely, the discussion is almost guaranteed to be derailed in rather short order by those more intent on justifying their own behavior or beliefs than on understanding Church teachings.

Finally, it is important to realize that the answers to the seven faith questions do not accurately reflect the person's beliefs a fair amount of the time. Some don't understand the Church's teachings. Some intentionally answer Yes on points they do not accept because it is the politically correct answer. Some answer No for beliefs they do accept because they feel to do otherwise will mislead others about their past behavior. (Yes, I know this is not what the questions ask; however, over the years many people have reported having answered this way.)

Feb 26th 2013 new

(Quote) Jan-672216 said:

+

--hide--

For the remainder of this response, I use the term 'divorced' to refer only to anyone who has obtained a civil divorce or annulment of marriage who has not obtained a decree of nullity from A catholic marriage tribunal and whose ex-spuse is still alive.

The CM owners have made it clear for as long as I have been on the site (almost 9 years) that it is not intended to be strictly a dating site. The site has a variety of features that are conducive to platonic fellowship and faith development that don't' involve participating in the matching/dating functions.

It is not uncommon for members to come to accept teachings of the Church as a result of their interactions with other CM members, either one-on-one or through the forums.

Discussing the morality of dating by those who are divorced is complicated by the fact that the term 'dating' has a wide range of meanings, from very casual and strictly platonic to romantic. If one is not careful to limit the term somewhat precisely, the discussion is almost guaranteed to be derailed in rather short order by those more intent on justifying their own behavior or beliefs than on understanding Church teachings.

Finally, it is important to realize that the answers to the seven faith questions do not accurately reflect the person's beliefs a fair amount of the time. Some don't understand the Church's teachings. Some intentionally answer Yes on points they do not accept because it is the politically correct answer. Some answer No for beliefs they do accept because they feel to do otherwise will mislead others about their past behavior. (Yes, I know this is not what the questions ask; however, over the years many people have reported having answered this way.)

Feb 26th 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: For the remainder of this response, I use the term 'divorced' to refer only t...

--hide--

+

Thank you for the additional clarification Jerry - I appreciate it.

Given that a fair amount of people answer "no" to some of the seven faith questions, I wonder if good, solid educational articles might be made available through some format on CM so people might take an opprotunity to understand what our faith teaches and why?

Posts 1 - 10 of 98