Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Feb 26th 2013 new
(Quote) David-364112 said: Sexual morals are no worse now than they were decades or even centuries ago. In the 90'...
(Quote) David-364112 said:

Sexual morals are no worse now than they were decades or even centuries ago. In the 90's I used to go to a priest from Italy for confession and direction. he was ordained in 1927. He once told me that he heard more confessions of sexual sins inthe 20's, 30's and 40's than in the 60's and onwards.

--hide--
If this personal experience/comment of one priest could even be applied as an accurate generalization, I would think it's because far less people who consider themselves Catholic go to Confession to confess those sins vs. in the 20's, 30's or 40's. The concepts of "sin" and the need to confess one's sins to a priest are lost on so many in this day and age. Cohabitation and premarital sex is wide-spread in our current culture. Add to that contraception, abortion, the destruction of marriage and the family through extramarital affairs, "gay relationships/marriage", and many other sexual perversions.

However, I do very much agree with you, David, that despite the moral disappointment of our day, the Lord saw it fit that certain souls be witnesses during this era in history. And he is calling each and every one of us to be examples and reach out and encourage others to return to the One, True, Apostolic Church. theheart
Feb 26th 2013 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: Sexual morals are no worse now than they were decades or even centuries ago. In the ...

Sexual morals are no worse now than they were decades or even centuries ago. In the 90's I used to go to a priest from Italy for confession and direction. he was ordained in 1927. He once told me that he heard more confessions of sexual sins inthe 20's, 30's and 40's than in the 60's and onwards. Read collections of old sermons going back centuries - even into patristic times. The only difference bewteen now and then is that there is more public attention paid to them and, yes, more acceptance of them. But this has been the case in ages past as well.

Rather than disparage our times, we must be grateful God has given us this opportunity to live holy lives in disapproving times.

Big shoot? With my tiny gun?? Cut me some slack, I'm doing my dim bulb best.

--hide--

Just an observation, David becauseI do not disagree with the thrust of you posting.

That priest probably heard more sexual sins confessed prior to the 1960's and less after simply because, for good or ill (mostly ill) after the "sexual Revolution" of the 60's, far too many people do not believe that illicit sexual activity is a sin.

Feb 26th 2013 new

These are exactly the kind of threads that in my mind keep Catholics away from the forums as well as from the faith. CatholicMatch operates much like a parish would. when you sign up for a parish no one says well I am sorry you cannot belong or you cann come to mass because you disagree with the Church on this or that. We have certain pieces of the profile that we think are helpful to make certain judgements about whom you may or may not want to intriduce yourself to for the purpose of a romantic relationship. Our choices may not be perfect but they do serve us well.

We spend thouands of dollars every month paying very capable writers to write articles that deal with a whole realm of issues regarding our Faith and living as a single Catholic. There is even a link at the top that says Blog. If anyone is at all interested in finding out more information about certain Church teaching google is a wonderful tool. It doesn't take much to determine that CatholicMatch as a company and service dose everything it can to support Church teaching. That being said we also tke seriouly the christian virtue of charity and I do not mean simply being nice. But our goal is to meet people where they are at and then provide them with a community and information which hopes to help them grow in their faith. Our goal is not to shut people out or to hit them over the head with judgement the moment they walk through the door. We understand not everyone may agree with our method but it has served us well for almost 15 years and we continue to enjoy the support of many in the Church including priests, nuns, staff, & faithful Catholic media.

Feb 26th 2013 new

(Quote) Pat-5351 said: I think it would be a great idea if there was a "resource library" here on CM, with liinks ...
(Quote) Pat-5351 said:

I think it would be a great idea if there was a "resource library" here on CM, with liinks to the great writings/explanations of the Church and its scholars on these topics. It could be hyperlinks to other sites' offerings. That way people who are interested will not have to look far for the Truth.

--hide--

Hyper links are probably a good idea. Lacking that, there are 3 on-line resources that easily come to mind; The Vatican web site, EWTN, and Catholic.com the Catholic Answers web site. There are tons more.

The problem for anyone doing a web search is that there are also tons of seemingly catholic sites that are anything but. And I have seen postings here from people who have visited those and believed what they read because they did not know any better.

Feb 26th 2013 new

(Quote) Jan-672216 said: + Hi Jerry - thank you for the info. Since it is titled "Catholic Match" ...
(Quote) Jan-672216 said:

+

Hi Jerry - thank you for the info. Since it is titled "Catholic Match" I assumed it was strictly for meeting Catholic folks who are looking for a possible spouse. And I didn't know people who are divorced without an annulment cannot use the Match feature.

However, I would still like to see CM tighten up the area of faithfulness to the teachings of the Church as I know there are folks who do use the match feature / look for romantice friendships who are in disagreement with the teachings of the Church - perhpas because they don't fully understand why the Church teaches what she teaches. In that case I suppose one could make the argument that mixing with Catholics who are faithful might be of assistance to all concerned.

--hide--

Jan.. I am speaking here as a private member and not as a moderator, lest anyone misunderstand me.. These kind of posts are troubling to me, because we are all adults here.. This kind of threads take on the appearance of a parent scolding recalcitrant children.. You are a peer here, not a parent. The profile provides everyone here to see at a glance where people stand on the teachings of the Church and the marital status..If you chose not to associate with people who don't share your position then that is your perogative.. Personally, I prefer to give everyone an open mind and to deal with differences one on one..

Feb 26th 2013 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: Just an observation, David becauseI do not disagree with the thrust of you posting. <...
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

Just an observation, David becauseI do not disagree with the thrust of you posting.

That priest probably heard more sexual sins confessed prior to the 1960's and less after simply because, for good or ill (mostly ill) after the "sexual Revolution" of the 60's, far too many people do not believe that illicit sexual activity is a sin.

--hide--

That could well be. But I think people have always acted about the same way throughout history. The Cure of Ars preached against lax sexual morals in the early 1800's, do did St Philip Neri in the very early 1500's and Savonarola a generation before him. The patristic writers address this issue and so does the Apostle Paul in his letters - especially to the Corinthians. Certain things don't change.

Rather than dispute whether we live in a lax age, it might do us all better to focus on strengthening our own commitments to chastity and asking God for the grace to accomplish this goal.

Feb 26th 2013 new

(Quote) Brian-278516 said: These are exactly the kind of threads that in my mind keep Catholics away from the forums as well...
(Quote) Brian-278516 said:

These are exactly the kind of threads that in my mind keep Catholics away from the forums as well as from the faith. CatholicMatch operates much like a parish would. when you sign up for a parish no one says well I am sorry you cannot belong or you cann come to mass because you disagree with the Church on this or that. We have certain pieces of the profile that we think are helpful to make certain judgements about whom you may or may not want to intriduce yourself to for the purpose of a romantic relationship. Our choices may not be perfect but they do serve us well.

We spend thouands of dollars every month paying very capable writers to write articles that deal with a whole realm of issues regarding our Faith and living as a single Catholic. There is even a link at the top that says Blog. If anyone is at all interested in finding out more information about certain Church teaching google is a wonderful tool. It doesn't take much to determine that CatholicMatch as a company and service dose everything it can to support Church teaching. That being said we also tke seriouly the christian virtue of charity and I do not mean simply being nice. But our goal is to meet people where they are at and then provide them with a community and information which hopes to help them grow in their faith. Our goal is not to shut people out or to hit them over the head with judgement the moment they walk through the door. We understand not everyone may agree with our method but it has served us well for almost 15 years and we continue to enjoy the support of many in the Church including priests, nuns, staff, & faithful Catholic media.

--hide--

I agree. This is a great online commuity that has done much good for its members. Many people, myself included, have demonstrably grown in their faith because of their membership on CM and participation on these forums. Many people join uncertain and less committed then come to believe and live their faith more strongly.

Feb 26th 2013 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: Sexual morals are no worse now than they were decades or even centuries ago. In the ...

Sexual morals are no worse now than they were decades or even centuries ago. In the 90's I used to go to a priest from Italy for confession and direction. he was ordained in 1927. He once told me that he heard more confessions of sexual sins inthe 20's, 30's and 40's than in the 60's and onwards. Read collections of old sermons going back centuries - even into patristic times. The only difference bewteen now and then is that there is more public attention paid to them and, yes, more acceptance of them. But this has been the case in ages past as well.

Rather than disparage our times, we must be grateful God has given us this opportunity to live holy lives in disapproving times.

Big shoot? With my tiny gun?? Cut me some slack, I'm doing my dim bulb best.

--hide--
That's exactly it, it has been happened before and is on it's way again. Our society is in another moral decline again. Some of us think we still have a chance to change that and think if we enlighten each other, we can learn from each other. Who knows maybe if we learn enough from each other, we can learn how to show others what is happening to our society and maybe prevent it or at least save as many souls as possible. Also don't people have the rite to vent there concerns to others to see what they think. If Catholics don't try to change this moral decline it won't change and it will get a lot harder for anyone to be Catholic. Saints have rose up against it before and have given there lives to stop it. Bad things happen while good people sit by and let them happen. Well so is everyone doing there dim bulb best so respect that.

Feb 26th 2013 new

I feel that by limiting the site to only those who are free to marry in the church would be detrimental.

I joined after my divorce to find out about annulments. It is no secret as to what happened and why I am divorced. My ex had an affair with his best friend's wife (both of whom are Catholic and claim that they are devout Catholics) and he walked out on us. Should I be punished due to my ex's actions? No. Does this make me any less of a devout Catholic, because I am now divorced? No. I WORKED my butt off for years to keep my family together however my ex wanted to have nothing to do with it. I pushed aside my own hopes and dreams for my family and while I don't regret it, I wish things were different. He was done but I look back now and see he had been done for a very long time. I don't feel that I should, personally, be punished for the reasons behind and surrounding my divorce. There are many others on here, men and women alike, that have been or are in my shoes as well.

I am in the process of obtaining an annulment and will state that this site has been an excellent resource for me during all this. I have made great friends along the way, many whom I keep in contact with outside of this site. As one of the staff members stated, this is like a parish. Everyone should be welcome, regardless of their situation. Some people agree with all of the teachings; others don't. No one is saying you have to date someone who doesn't have the same beliefs as you. But, maybe you can be that person that ministers to someone who isn't 100% in line with the church's beliefs and help them to possibly change their stance. Not saying it WILL happen, but you never know... it COULD. I will admit that there are people on here who claim they are catholic but do not agree with anything. I have to question why this person claims they are Catholic. But again, maybe someone on here can witness to this person and help them see the teachings of the church. Everyone needs a witness in their life, for one reason or another.....

Feb 26th 2013 new

If there are members of the Church who are honest enough to admit that there are areas of Church teaching that they struggle with, then their openness is courageous. With God's grace and support of other, compassionate Catholics who will accept these people where they are in their faith journey be alongside them as they question, I believe they can be helped to reach a deeper understanding and acceptance of Church teaching.

If we insist on doctrinal rigidity, there's a real risk of falling into a trap that Christ warned us against: that of insisting on following the letter of the law (like the Pharisees) rather than taking on board the law in the spirit of compassion.

Posts 21 - 30 of 98